This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Laptop debate

edited July 2007 in Technology
I am currently debating on getting either the Dell Latitude D630 or the Inspiron 1420. My main concern is the D630 allows for me to buy 2 batteries, each that last longer than the Inspiron 1420's battery. The only problem is that the D630 currently has issues with Ubuntu. My question is should I buy the D630 and run Ubuntu in VMware until Ubuntu runs fine, if it ever does or should I buy the 1420 and deal with the battery life?

Comments

• Speaking as an exclusively laptop user, I have to say that battery life is a huge consideration only if you plan on using your laptop unplugged a lot. Consider how you're going to use your computer, and how long you'll be from power outlet to power outlet. Also, think of the weight and bulk if you plan on taking it with you often.
  • The Inspiron's battery is shit. It is one of the very few complaints I have about Dell's products. I bought my wife a 1420 earlier in the year because she needed a portable machine for post-grad work, and isn't doing anything high-end or extravagant. It's a nice machine with fairly quick performance, but the battery lasts little more than an hour.
  • I have a Dell Precision M90 for work and little Gateway with a T2060 processor. The M90 gets 4 hours, but it has a humongous screen. The Gateway gets 3 hours but has a 14.1" screen. I think Neito has it right. I rarely take the Dell home and I'm planning on buying a second power cord for the Gateway.
  • edited July 2007
    I'm gonna go with running VMware with the D630 because one thing I've noticed about the business section is that most of the notebooks have good battery life, and run cool and quiet.
    Post edited by m16 elitest on