This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Question for Rym and Scott

edited July 2007 in Technology
I'm looking at going back to school to get my BS in the IT field via online schooling. I'm aiming to go with Devry because I like their online program and they are a good school.

The question is thus:

Knowing that the two of you are on opposite sides of the IT field (software/hardware) which side is better to focus on for those that will have their degree in 3 to 4 years.

I am fully capable of going in either direction on this one. I already do both but not at a BS level. I'm looking at this from the money angle. Both of you consitantly point out how you leap frog each other on salary so I figure money must be about the same for both sides. So, which one do you think will have the higher demand over the next few years?

Comments

• Well, I'm not Rym or Scott, but that sounds like asking a French and Chinese chef which cuisine is better. I'd say do the one you like better, or else you might be miserable for the rest of your life, if you ask them, they probably will say that they chose their paths because its what they like to do, not for the money or future job possibilities.

To sum it up, if you are good at it and love it, chances are, you'll make a good living out of it, whatever it may be.
  • Yes and no. Because they are in the industry they have a better view of which is likely to be in demand over the next few years.
  • edited July 2007
    You can't make the decision based on what's in demand, or you will be very unhappy. If you want to almost guarantee a high paying tech job, learn the following.
    • Enterprise Java/Jakarta/Struts, etc.
    • Oracle/Postgres Enterprise Database
    • finance/accounting
    Wall Street has been, and is still, desperate for people with computer and financial skills. The thing is, nobody who isn't already in the financial industry learns these things, so they have a very hard time finding new people. Also, this technology is the most boring and painful technology work you can find. However, if money and demand are what you care about, learn to be an enterprise database administrator who can write software for financial firms.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It sounds like those 100% grades in high school accounting may be useful after all!

I am leaning in the software direction because, as Rym himself has stated, much hardware work involves cabling, which you can train anyone to do pretty quick.
  • Here are some examples of the big jobs you can get with these skills. Remember, all these jobs are not fun. They will make most people miserable. If they were fun, I'd already be working them.
    Job 1
    Job 2
    Job 3
  • edited July 2007
    I get half way through those job descriptions and I lose all idea of what they want the employee to do. Why can't the IT guy write the ad copy?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I get half way through those job descriptions and I lose all idea of what they want the employee to do. Why can't the IT guy write the ad copy?
    They want you to suffer.
  • I imagine Rym answered an ad like that and once he got the job they told him, "We want you to stick these tabs in those slots."