This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I decdied to build my own computer.

edited July 2007 in Technology
After listening to a bunch of the shows on computers I decided to build my own computer. It does sound easy enough but I do have a few concerns though.

1.I am going to be playing a lot of games and using a lot of programs that require windows, but I want to switch to Linux. Can I get out of using windows by using W.I.N.E and a few Linux programs?

2. This is the first computer that I am building and even though it is easy I am still a bit nervous about fucking it up. What precautions should I take when building this computer so I know it will work.

3. Originally I was going to put a video card with an S-video out in it so I could substitute a computer monitor for a flat screen tv and basically treat it like a living room computer. But since I am gaming should I just use a regular monitor?

Anyways those were my concerns. And any advice I can get would be apreicated.

Comments

• 1. Theoretically you could use Linux for everything. The only problem is that if the one game you really like doesn't work in WINE immediately your basically fucked.

2. The one thing I would be careful about is sticking the chip into the socket and putting the fan on the chip.
  • You can dual boot Linux & Windows. When you're putting everything together, take special care to stay grounded the entire time. I'll use a wrist strap sometimes. If you spark a chip or a mobo, there's a good chance it will destroy it. Advance planning also helps. Power supplies are a big pain in the ass right now. Ask Rym. :) Make sure the mobo fits the case, make sure you match the chip, mobo and RAM correctly. You probably want to go with SATA HDs now. You need to decide if you are going to run two in RAID zero for speed or just do it normally. One thing I like to do is look at what the high end machines have nowadays and then pick out what you like and put it in your machine.
  • Do lots and lots of research online. Make sure everything you buy is compatible with everything else you buy. Make sure the things you buy are Linux compatible. I usually spend weeks, if not months, researching before building a computer. If you don't put the necessary effort into it, you will only have problems. If you don't want to do all the work, just get one of the Ubuntu Dells.
  • Why do you want to switch to Linux? If it's just to be "cool," then that is stupid. If you have a bona fide reason to do so, then great; otherwise, USE THE OS THAT BEST FITS YOUR NEEDS. If you're a gamer, that's Windows.
  • Why do you want to switch to Linux? If it's just to be "cool," then that is stupid. If you have a bona fide reason to do so, then great; otherwise, USE THE OS THAT BEST FITS YOUR NEEDS. If you're a gamer, that's Windows.
    True, but even if it doesn't meet your needs, you should at least try it to eliminate misconceptions.
  • The reason why I want to try to switch to Linux is not so much to be cool just so I can try it out and see if I can do it. In the end I am most likely going to use Windows, but from what I have been hearing it is more efficient, and I also want to try something new. But I would be using this machine for mainly gaming/entertainment so sadly I couldn't use it as my main OS. In the end I might just have it dual boot so that way I can get Linux exp before completely switching OS's. But I might also end up getting another computer off a friend. (Hopefully it goes through because if it does I am switching him my Zune for his computer. Pretty much all I would need to do to this thing is reboot the O.S., add more ram to it, and replace the old dvd/cd drives for new ones.)
  • While Linux might fail you for gaming, it is quite excellent in the entertainment department. Especially if you use the new Ubuntu Feisty Fawn which automatically helps you install the proper codecs for your audio and video files.
  • That I am going to have to look into. And yes I have to listen to the show on this (that is if my Zune didn't fucking eat up my minutes > < thats another post though.) but if I have a shitty video card could a proper codec for lets say windows or a better one make a difference in game play?
  • but if I have a shitty video card could a proper codec for lets say windows or a better one make a difference in game play?
    wtf are you talking about? codecs encode and decode digital audio and video files. They have nothing to do with games or video cards.
  • A update to your video driver and having the latest Direct X might improve, a video game your are having problems playing. Not a video codec.
  • Or upgrade your RAM. My understanding is that windows uses more RAM than Linux.
  • Well the computer I am working on right now is a Dell 2400 w/ 256 ram, pentium 4 basically all the shit you get in a basic dell. I can't really upgrade it because it's not mine and it's kind of weird because it won't run Guild Wars but it has run Dawn of War and Everquest. Recently the O.S was reinstalled by the geek squad so perhaps that might have something to do with it but that I am still trying to figure out.