This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070709 - Hard Drive Failure

RymRym
edited July 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss... Hard Drive Failure, and assorted topics related as such. In the news, CAPTCHAS fail for Hotmail, and the US buys a fancy Russian toilet.
Scott's Thing - Mouse Misuse

Rym's Thing - Fuck

Comments

• Rym, your thing of the day is old as fuckin' fuck. XD BRILLIANT though.

Can't wait to listen... Just in case my HD decides it's gonna shit out on me.
  • I'm pretty sure Rym's thing of the day is at least partially based off a George Carlin skit.
  • I'm pretty sure Rym's thing of the day is at least partially based off a George Carlin skit.Oh, it most certainly is. ^_~
    Mainly, I was tired, and I didn't have anything better that wasn't already all over Digg.
  • Who is still using Hotmail?
    The same people who still use MySpace and Yahoo! Chat.
  • Then they deserve poor security. And fire bombing.
  • I normally wouldn't care, but Gmail is just so much better than any other email service, be it web-based, corporate, or even custom, that it staggers me to see people not using it for casual email.  Corporate concerns I can understand, but normal people have no reason but ignorance not to switch.
    The same people who still use MySpace and Yahoo! Chat.
    Same people with unpatched winXP.
  • Bwahahaha. MySpace.

I thought the "Fuck" thing was a Monty Python gag? That was enforced by it being Rym's TotD. I still haven't listened yet, but I'm all over it tonight.
  • Monty Python did it before George Carlin I think.
  • First, I noticed that article on Slashdot earlier and have since resolved to start to use the keyboard whenever I can from now on. Unfortunately most PCB layout really requires the use of a mouse.

Second, though some of the cheaper brands of CF cards will only last through 5000 erase cycles, the ones they put into hard drives have a 100,000 cycle life and I guarantee that they'll last a lot longer than a hard drive inside a laptop.
  • What? You guys don't have any anecdotes about hard drive failure?
  • edited July 2007
    What? You guys don't have any anecdotes about hard drive failure?
    Someone once gave me a shitty 10 gig for free, and it crashed. I've never had another drive crash.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2007
    Nevermind...
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Nevermind...
    ??? Did I miss something?
  • Nevermind...
    ??? Did I miss something?
    No, I asked something and then answered my own question 10 seconds later so I deleted the comment.
  • I picked up a drive a year or so back to start storing my, uhm... "Media" It's an external WD My Book 1TB drive. Has two internal 500GB drives, with FW 4/800 and USB2. The rather nice thing about it is that it is a very very small Hardware controlled RAID. There's software that tweaks and keeps an eye on the hardware but from what I've read it actually has the RAID control built into the software. It allows for either RAID 0 or 1, and unlike almost every single "store-bought" external HD, opening it up to replace one of the drives does not void the warranty! In fact it states in the manual it is designed to make it easier to replace one of the HDs if one fails. The only complaint I have is when the fan kicks in it is quite loud. I have it set as the RAID 1 to allow for that redundancy and has ran quite nicely. When one of the drives eventually will fail, I'll probably upgrade to two of whatever are the largest drives at that time. I have the older model but version 2 is listed at Western Digital's Website
  • I just listen to this episode today, and after listening to it I hope Rym is doing well with his finger, since it kind of sucks what happened to him.
  • On CAPTCHAs, I've had an idea to defeat the spammers, but I'm not sure if it's feasible. Could you just throw in a weird question instead of reading some crappy text?

Who was the first president of the United States?
    What is the fifth word in this sentence?
    How many words are in this sentence?
    What is the xth character in this string: blahblahspamcrapetc.
    O RLY?

Sorry, I couldn't resist the last one. These would probably get hacked as easily as anything else, I guess. :(
  • Shit! I just accidentaly deleted a 2.5 gig file folder in windows, and I thought it was a copy of the original folder, so I deleted it from my bin then shut down the computer. Today I looked for it and my Norton Unerase Wizard can't find it so I shut down my computer. I'm using Wii browser to do this so I don't lose my file folder.
    Help and sorry for the choppiness.
  • I just accidentaly deleted a 2.5 gig file folder in windows
    What was in the folder? How hard is it to re-create?
  • edited July 2007
    Pictures and Videos from a camping trip. Irreplaceable, they exist no where else.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Chances are, if you couldn't find it with one utility you aren't going to have much luck with any other. You can try a few though . . . they're fairly easy to find online. I've never actually used on anything other than a flash drive just to dink around. Sorry!
  • Hey in relation to your comments on keyboard shortcuts, this has been invaluable.