This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geek Nights ever do a podcast on Fantasy Football?

Comments

• The latest time available on Yahoo for this Sunday was 4PM, which won't work here. I moved it to 8:30 PM on Wednesday the 8th, does that work for everyone?
    Yeah that's fine by me, just means staying up abit late over here but I'm a student so that really doesn't matter
  • So with the draft tonight and there been 7 people in the league, we need to find one more person to even the teams up.
  • Wish I could join you guys but I would not be able to make the draft, someone else needs to fill the void.
  • put a post out on the NerdNYC forums to see if any of those guys would like to join, hopefully we get 1 (or 3)
  • I'll join up.
  • For those who like Pick'em Challenges this one is done by a football podcast (very friendly to people who don't know football) called Turducken is Tasty.
  • Seems we got 2 new people, opps
  • So is the draft still happening tonight or can I go to bed?
    I'm doing it, if other people are.
    I'm doing it, if other people are.
    Yeah but you need an even number of teams otherwise it doesn't let you draft
  • yeah looks like we went from from 8 to 9 at the last minute. Should have just capped it when we went to an even 8 this morning. I'm gonna attempt kicking the 9th team and seeing if it lets me start up the draft tonight, stay tuned
  • ok, I will hang around for abit then.
  • OK folks no draft tonight. The 8:30 timeslot actually starts at 8:10 when the system determines the draft order. Since a 9th team joined right before then, we lost the spot in line, and there is nothing in the prime-time on a weekday available until Monday at 9PM, meaning we can still do this, but it will start on Week 2 of the NFL season.

Does Monday at 9PM work for people?
  • edited September 2010
    Does Monday at 9PM work for people?
    Nope. Just screw it. Way more trouble than it's worth.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Damn it... blew off the GF and rushed to my computer for nothing.
  • Well the first official champion of the fantasy footbal league is: nobody

Until next year folks
  • In other news I think the 3 most hated words of any girlfriend or wife are "fantasy football draft"
  • Whelp. 3 leagues, one championship, one superbowl appearance, and one quarter final appearance. Total profit for the season? Over $1400. I must say; I was really on my game this season. With a deep Packers playoff run, I'd call it a total success.
  • Whelp. 3 leagues, one championship, one superbowl appearance, and one quarter final appearance. Total profit for the season? Over $1400. I must say; I was really on my game this season. With a deep Packers playoff run, I'd call it a total success.
    Wait, what fantasy league pays out that kind of money?
  • I'm in leagues with friends who all make far more money than me. Thankfully, I know a lot more about football than they do.

I have a "Big money" league with an in fee of $175. Winner gets $1100.
    The "medium money" league is $90. Winner gets $500.
    The "small money" league is $50. Winner gets $250.

I won the big money league and placed in the medium.
  • Huge scandals around "insider trading" in the fantasy industry might be about to bring it all tumbling down.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/10/06/196239/scandal-erupts-in-unregulated-online-world-of-fantasy-sports
  • Why do I read comments? The top-rated comment on that Slashdot article is "I don't care about sports."

Fuck Slashdot.
  • Only Luddites and old people visit /.
  • "I don't care about non-electronic sports"
  • I'm not totally clear on why it's a problem. How does seeing what people in aggregate bet on give an insider an edge?
  • People in aggregate tend to be surprisingly accurate.
  • Not on random number generators, they're not.
  • I've seen those pop up on commercials and podcast ads and they always seemed really fucking sketchy.
  • Starfox said:

Not on random number generators, they're not.

These aren't random number generators. There is some skill in picking. It's an analysis of real data and understanding of sports odds. The insiders are privy to a meta-analysis that no single bettor outside of that organization can access.

Also, that is one example. I came up with like five more ways to scam this system in the current unregulated environment while I was typing the first half of this post.