This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Political Correctness. Are we going too far?

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts about this.

Renshi

Comments

• Political correctness was at its most virulent during the 90s, when most of us were teenagers. It was a push from the intellectual left-wing of western politics to sensitise us all to the diversity society was experiencing, and it was supposed to bring us together by removing the offence from language.

I admire the intention- that we should all live side by side and free from unfair prejudice, but the outcome of it all was to cause a chilling effect on certain kinds of speech. The thing I find most offensive is that a person can be ostracised, fired, or even jailed for saying what they think. Racism, sexism, ageism (and all the other isms) are terrible, but in expressing these prejudices, we gain insight into the thoughts of the speaker, and can begin to understand why they think that way. It allows us to examine our own beliefs, weigh them against the beliefs of others, and ultimately accept or reject them in a rational way. When it becomes dangerous to express what you think (in a non-violent way, of course), discourse suffers, and we all suffer because of it.
  • Here at GeekNights we stand for the first amendment above most everything else. You may not like nazis and the klan--we don't like them either--but they can be racist all they want. Of course, as soon as they try to lynch someone we can throw them all in jail.

Political correctness does have one upside. It is now very easy to tell which public figures have testicles and which ones do not.
  • wouldn't that be Testicles/ovaries to be politically correct? ^_^
  • wouldn't that be Testicles/ovaries to be politically correct? ^_^
    I believe what you're looking for is "genitalia of a non-specific gender."
    PCU
    What does the Pawtucket Credit Union have to do with anything?
  • Or the Presbyterian Church of Utica?
  • PCU

Don't make me feel old ;^) That's a movie I just assume people have seen.
  • Actually this is kind of funny because my area is still dealing with a problem with had with a politically incorrect speaker to our local high school.

Morgan Spurlunk (of Super Size me) fame came to the Hatboro Horsham School district and cursed, talked about using drugs, put down the teachers and called himself a retard. Needless to say this pissed a lot of people off and they cancelled the “adult” show at night in which I had tickets too.

Apparently the show at the high school was a big hit with the kids.

Here is a link dealing with the topic.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/morganspurlock/ See his march 26th Entry.

Personally, I was really pissed they cancelled the later show, I really wanted to go see him.

Sorry if I’m not explaining the situation better I’m at work and don’t have the time to elaborate.
  • I think that in the United States, political correctness is simply being used to replace politeness and sincerity. A cheap and easy alternative to a more taxing choice.
  • The problem is, you can't legislate politeness. I hate to quote Demolition Man, but goddamn, it's appropriate: You can't take away people's right to be assholes.

PC speech accomplishes nothing of use, and only serves to further set free speech back. Really, all it does is force people to use an entirely new set of labels, further driving home the very divisions we're supposed to be breaking down.

Things change, mostly because of black comedians.

Richard Pryor.. Dave Chappell... other dudes....
  • lennybruce.jpg

You forgot Lenny Bruce.
  • And let's not also forget...

Negrodamus.
  • Yeah, Political correctness is going way, way to far. I'll mention the 'Baa baa black sheep' issue. For those of you that are unfamiliar with the British nursery rhyme 'Baa baa black sheep' it goes like thus:

Baa baa black sheep have you any wool,
    Yes sir, yes sir; three bags full.
    One for the master, and one for the dame,
    And one for the little boy who lives down the lane.

This is now been officially re-worded by the government to 'Baa Baa, Baa sheep' Because it supposedly discriminates against black sheep.

Me and my parents made a spoof-parody of this, it is like so:

Baa, baa, baa sheep have you any wool?
    yes person of no specifc gender, yes person of no specifc gender; three bags full.
    One for my employer, one for my employers wife,
    And one for the vertically chalenged child who lives down the lane.

Hope you enjoy it :-)