This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Linux for old computers?

edited July 2007 in Technology
Fred's new venture #001: Computer refurbishment and resale.

The WEEE (Waste Electrical and Electric Equipment act, yes, englnad not so great with the abbreviations) in England has recently caught my attention and I've been inquiring as to starting a small computer refitting outfit in my bedroom to dban (securely wipe) and take peoples old computers away free then try and assemble new computers from them to re-sell or just give away if the computer is too old.
I'm not sure as to what kinds of computers I may end up having to take but would like to know what would be a good replacement for systems running Windows 95/98 and is there anything better than Ubuntu for an ex XP machine?

I think Linspire would be a good choice (though I feel assured someone is going to tell me something to put me right off.) as it looks closer to windows and the paid version comes with support so I don't have to put as much time into helping as I do into actually providing computers.

[Afterthought: Yes I can see the obvious "The weee ... in England has caught my attention" Quote. Please try to be mature.]

Comments