This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pet Peeves

Comments

• - reality tv
    - movie adaptions that completely miss the point of the version in the original medium
    - radio stations that purport as new music stuff that's been around for a few years
    - people who insist they are worthy of credit when they're not (an old job had me dealing with lots of these people)
    - store people who have no clue how finance work (job again)
    - companies that refuse to give references (my last job really sucked)

I'm sure I'll think of some more later.
  • edited April 2006
    • People who still haven't realized that last month's rumor is not true.
    • People who still haven't realized that today's information is a fact, not a rumor.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • To be brief.....

Stupid, unoriginal people

I could make a list, but I can't think of everything off the top of my head....
  • I was thinking about the movie Simon the other day. I haven't seen it in a long time, but it started out as a kind of spoof of Altered States. The guy that they experimented with went mad and then the movie took kind of a twist as he took over some television broadcasting equipment and then produced sort of a video podcast where he bitched and moaned about the little things, like fast food condiment packaging, that make daily life miserable.

Of course, this movie was released in 1980. They hadn't yet dreamed of the stuff that makes our everyday lives miserable. I would take fast food condiment packaging over voice mail hell any day.
  • edited May 2011
    Games that make my computer mouse feel all weird (mouse smoothing and acceleration) are really pissing me off. Why can't they just leave it alone?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Games that make my computer mouse feel all weird are really pissing me off. Why can't they just leave it alone?
    Turning off vertical sync can help in this regard.
  • - People complaining
    - Hypocrites
    - Lame meta jokes
  • -People talking about their pet peeves (Har har har!)
    Sorry dude, it looks like I was 4 minutes earlier with that joke.
    Wait. "Lame Meta Jokes" was a joke? I though you were legitimately peeved by lazy meta jokes.
    Wait. "Lame Meta Jokes" was a joke? I though you were legitimately peeved by lazy meta jokes.
    Yes, LAME meta jokes are a pet peeve. Good thing my jokes weren't lame nor lazy!
    Yes, LAME meta jokes are a pet peeve. Good thing my jokes weren't lame nor lazy!
    Sorry man. I don't understand anything right now. It's super late and I need to finish this paper now. When I read this thread in the morning it'll make sense to me and I'll feel like an idiot.
  • edited May 2011
    Oh, this thread. I have some!
    - People who open the emergency door in the subway when the turnstile is RIGHT THERE, and set off the really annoying alarm. Can't you obey the DO NOT EXIT? Or do you have to break our collective eardrums every morning?
    - Those white mid-western tourist girls buying the fake purses. Not only is it so superficial to buy poorly made brand knockoffs, but the money from the poor immigrants selling it goes right to unsavory people. (Chinese mafia?) Also? They did tests on the fake perfume knockoffs and they found pee in some of it! The news said so! Let that be a lesson to you.
    - Also, while I complain about my neighborhood, I hate those dolls that sing twinkle twinkle little star and say I love you when you walk past. It offends me that resources were wasted on those annoyatrons!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • - People who open the emergency door in the subway when the turnstile is RIGHT THERE, and set off the really annoying alarm. Can't you obey the DO NOT EXIT? Or do you have to break our collective eardrums every morning?
    Guess what? The Freakonomics guys did a podcast where they talk about the trade-offs and how much pain people are willing to endure, and in light of this pet peeve, I think you will be able to relate to the first part of it. If you like hockey, then you will probably like the whole episode.
  • edited May 2011
    They did tests on the fake perfume knockoffs and they found pee in some of it!
    They use animal pee and other nasty animal products in regular perfume too. Source.
    Post edited by Ametto on
  • 1) Contractors. It's a house. How do you not know at least a day in advance what material you will need to order so you can build the next bit of a house?

2) Anyone eating potato chips near an open microphone. That sound, to me, is the aural equivalent of nails on a-- er, the bat credit card.
  • Quoting images when it's really not necessary. It's annoying when reading it from my iPhone. A simple edit of the blockquote to delete the url would suffice.
  • Video driver updates scattering desktop icons.
  • blah blah blah
    reading all the shit i said when i was 16
  • Too many things, starting with mispronunciation of both English and Spanish. Particularly on TV.

People who talk about my country without even trying to investigate.

Liars and cheaters.

I said too many things, but these are the things that piss me off the most.
  • They did tests on the fake perfume knockoffs and they found pee in some of it!
    They use animal pee and other nasty animal products in regular perfume too. Source.
    Abergris. Aka whale puke.

• Reading posts on FB where people end their posts with "lol".
  • Reading posts on FB where people end their posts with "lol".
    lol
  • AmpAmp
    edited December 2011
    Fucktards who write in History books. It is quite clear that they had no clue what they were meant to be doing but though that highlighting certain random bits would add credence to what ever bollocks they were spouting.
    Post edited by Amp on
  • - People on escalators who do block escalators by not standing to the right. You don't want to walk up the long escalator? Fine, just stay to the right with everyone else who doesn't want to move, don't block me. And don't get indignant and glare at me when I politely say "excuse me."

- Driving through Flushing.

- iPhone "auto correcting" my spanglish.
  • Another pet peeve of mine. When people write my country's name wrong. It's Colombia, not Columbia. Not quite the same.
  • Another pet peeve of mine. When people write my country's name wrong. It's Colombia, not Columbia. Not quite the same.
    YES!
  • edited December 2011
    Another pet peeve of mine. When people write my country's name wrong. It's Colombia, not Columbia. Not quite the same.
    Same here, but for me because I go to Columbia University and it creates confusion.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Movie posters in which the billing of the actors is in a different order than their likenesses appearing on it. For example:

Why couldn't the name of each actor appear right above their position on the poster?