This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pet Peeves

Comments

• Movie posters in which the billing of the actors is in a different order than their likenesses appearing on it. For example:

Why couldn't the name of each actor appear right above their position on the poster?
    Actors (or at least their people) take billing very seriously. I guarantee that order was hashed out in negotiations. Just a quick search showed the same order on different posters. The DVD also has the same order.
  • Actors (or at least their people) take billing very seriously. I guarantee that order was hashed out in negotiations. Just a quick search showed the same order on different posters. The DVD also has the same order.
    I am aware. I just find it stupid, counter-intuitive, and petty.
  • People rattling off their pet peeves unasked for.
    Then stay out of the thread.
    Then stay out of the thread.
    As that was a pet peeve of mine it was appropriate, but I shall depart now!
    People not reading a two page thread to see if their joke has been done before.
  • edited December 2012
    People who enter a thread to complain about the existence of the thread or people participating in the thread.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Well in this case the rattling WAS asked for, so no I'm not complaining about this thread or the people in it.
  • Every time my English teacher thinks he's teaching history. Great moments include "The Victorian Era was a time of wealth," "Samuel Johnson invented the first dictionary" and "the Anglo-Saxons were more than a culture, they were a civilization."
  • I am sorry who the fuck flips someone else's board game upside down without checking to see if there are loose bits in it.
  • edited December 2012
    I am paid to say hello to you. You can at least acknowledge it instead of being an ass and ignoring me you yuppie asshole. *

*rough day at work.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • People talking loudly in Spanish over my shoulder while I try to read on the subway.

I don't know what it is about you, Spanish, but you completely destroy my ability to concentrate on the words in my book.
  • edited December 2012
    Friends and family who ask me to proofread their work "because you're a grammar nazi and good at spotting mistakes", then get upset when their paper is essentially bleeding red from all of the errors I spotted.
    I only did what you asked! You knew what you were getting into!
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • People talking loudly in Spanish over my shoulder while I try to read on the subway.

I don't know what it is about you, Spanish, but you completely destroy my ability to concentrate on the words in my book.
    Earplugs. I wear earplugs every day on the subway.

• Earplugs. I wear earplugs every day on the subway.

You talking ipod types or just plain old earplugs?

• Earplugs. I wear earplugs every day on the subway.

You talking ipod types or just plain old earplugs?
    If you have good ones, the only difference is whether or not you want to listen to music/podcasts.
  • I have Etymotic musician's plugs which just reduce the volume of everything, but I often wear my insertion earbuds even when I'm not listening to anything to get almost complete silence.
  • When people write "could've/could have" as "could of"

People who call all Android phones Droid

People who comment on a facebook post with "Hey you we should hang out some time"
  • Friends and family who ask me to proofread their work "because you're a grammar nazi and good at spotting mistakes", then get upset when their paper is essentially bleeding red from all of the errors I spotted.
    I only did what you asked! You knew what you were getting into!
    Carry your rate structure pamphlet in your wallet, then insist on giving them their money's worth.

• Carry your rate structure pamphlet in your wallet, then insist on giving them their money's worth.
    "You charge for proofreading by the gallon?"
  • Carry your rate structure pamphlet in your wallet, then insist on giving them their money's worth.
    "You charge for proofreading by the gallon?"
    "Do you know how expensive ink is?!"
  • People who use "fancy" terms like logical fallacy to sound smart but use them incorrectly.

If you know enough about debate to know the term logical fallacy then you should know enough to use it correctly.
  • I recently realize that I do not like to be taken for granted.
  • Autoplaying music on websites. You'd think those dark days were behind us but some folks on tumblr haven't got the message.
  • Kind of specific one: While living at home, any cup that did not have someone physically holding onto it would be immediately emptied and washed. I would set a cup full to the brim with juice and ice, take a sip, leave to grab a book. Not thirty seconds later, I come back, juice is down the drain, cup is in the drying rack, and the culprit is gone already.

Those were thirsty times, man...
  • Autoplaying music on websites. You'd think those dark days were behind us but some folks on tumblr haven't got the message.
    Tumblr is the new Geocities. You ever notice how much those MLP comic blogs are like sites in webrings?
  • edited December 2012
    saying "addicting" instead of "addictive".
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • saying "addicting" instead of "addictive".
    In most situations, aren't those equivalent?
  • saying "addicting" instead of "addictive".
    In most situations, aren't those equivalent?
    That's the part that annoys me the most >:(