This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pet Peeves

Comments

• Kind of specific one: While living at home, any cup that did not have someone physically holding onto it would be immediately emptied and washed. I would set a cup full to the brim with juice and ice, take a sip, leave to grab a book. Not thirty seconds later, I come back, juice is down the drain, cup is in the drying rack, and the culprit is gone already.

Those were thirsty times, man...
    That's quickly becoming an annoyance to me as well, except with soda cans. The other day I opened a soda, set it aside to finish making my lunch, and my dad comes by a minute later and shakes it to see if it was full. I take it and set it closer to myself, and not even a minute after that my dad spots it, and goes to see if it was empty. Argh!
  • I'm always very suspicious about my glasses. I always hate not knowing if a glass is used or not. I always err on the side of caution and put them in the dishwasher. Once a glass is used, I only use it for 1 type of beverage until I clean it out. If I take too long to drink something or reuse a glass, I always clean it out too.

There's something I hate about the idea of lukewarm beverage that has been sitting at the bottom of a glass solidifying (like eggnog or a fruit juice). That crusty shit on the sides of a glass from whatever I was drinking, FUCK THAT STUFF.
  • That's probably good. My pets shed and dust and lick so I don't trust glasses that are out of the cupboard unsupervised. I bring my one 34oz stein of water around the house with me. If it's not cold anymore, I wash it. A dishwasher would be nice.
  • That's quickly becoming an annoyance to me as well, except with soda cans. The other day I opened a soda, set it aside to finish making my lunch, and my dad comes by a minute later and shakes it to see if it was full. I take it and set it closer to myself, and not even a minute after that my dad spots it, and goes to see if it was empty. Argh!
    I used to live with a girl who would drink half a can of soda and then forget about it and get another one. This behaviour drove me up a freaking wall. And if I went to throw out the half a can I'd get "I'm still drinking that". I'd have to point out that she had another one on the other side of her that she was drinking out of at the time.

That and the sheer waste. She drank nothing but soda and didn't bother drinking half of it.

I'm getting irritated just thinking about it!

• That's quickly becoming an annoyance to me as well, except with soda cans. The other day I opened a soda, set it aside to finish making my lunch, and my dad comes by a minute later and shakes it to see if it was full. I take it and set it closer to myself, and not even a minute after that my dad spots it, and goes to see if it was empty. Argh!
    I used to live with a girl who would drink half a can of soda and then forget about it and get another one. This behaviour drove me up a freaking wall. And if I went to throw out the half a can I'd get "I'm still drinking that". I'd have to point out that she had another one on the other side of her that she was drinking out of at the time.

That and the sheer waste. She drank nothing but soda and didn't bother drinking half of it.

I'm getting irritated just thinking about it!

You were right. I would have taken the half can and splashed it on her.
  • You were right. I would have taken the half can and splashed it on her.
    Tempted, so very tempted so many times.

• People who think the difference between the 386DX and the 386SX is that the SX lacks a math coprocessor (while that is the difference between the 486 DX and SX, the differences in the 386 versions is somewhat more subtle).
  • RymRym
    edited December 2012
    People who think the difference between the 386DX and the 386SX is that the SX lacks a math coprocessor (while that is the difference between the 486 DX and SX, the differences in the 386 versions is somewhat more subtle).
    Truth.

I thought the 486 cache speeds were different between SX and DX as well, but I don't recall the specifics. (Moves to Wikipedia).

Post edited by Rym on
  • People who think the difference between the 386DX and the 386SX is that the SX lacks a math coprocessor (while that is the difference between the 486 DX and SX, the differences in the 386 versions is somewhat more subtle).
    Truth.

I thought the 486 cache speeds were different between SX and DX as well, but I don't recall the specifics. (Moves to Wikipedia).

For the curious, the primary differences between the 386 DX and SX are that the 386DX had a full 32-bit I/O bus (though the only technologies that supported it at the time were EISA and MicroChannel add-in cards that were pretty rare outside of high end servers and IBM's PS/2 line) and a full 32-bit physical memory address bus that allowed it to access up to 4 gigs of RAM. The 386SX, on the other hand, used the same 16-bit I/O and 24-bit physical memory address buses as the 286, despite being identical to the DX internally. This made it cheaper to make 386 SX motherboards as you could basically just reuse 286 designs, but at the cost of only using 16-bit I/O cards and only being able to access 16 MB of physical RAM (which, admittedly, was a ridiculously huge amount of RAM back then anyway).

With respect to different cache speeds across the 486 DX and SX versions, hmm... that may have been the case on later versions of them, but I don't remember offhand. I am pretty sure, if memory serves, that the first 486SXes that came out were basically just DXes that failed the coprocessor test suite but otherwise worked perfectly. Instead of just tossing the defective CPUs, Intel decided to just disable the broken coprocessor and sell them at a discount instead.
  • My friends with newer computers than me that bitch about needing a new rig is kinda a pet peeve of mine.
  • Vini Mothafokkin Lopez. Dude was the most talented and skilled drummer in the world. He worked with Springsteen back before there was an E-Street Band. Recorded Greetings from Asbury and The Wild, the Innocent, and the E-Street Shuffle, and promptly left. Played with a million unsigned Jersey Shore bands (most famously Lord Gunner, but I don't think anyone on here is old enough to have seen them), and none of them were recorded -- not because no one ever heard them, but because every time they were offered a contract they fucked it up. He didn't record another album until 2008, when he recorded the old Steel Mill songs that he'd performed with Bruce. Why does such a great musician make it so hard for me to hear him!?
  • Teachers or tutors who send me messages containing improper grammar or spelling.
    DOUBLE DOWN: English teachers who do the same.
  • My friends with newer anything than me that bitch about needing a new literally anything technology-wise is kinda a pet peeve of mine.
    I once sat in on a conversation wherein a bunch of my friends were discussing needing to get newer HD TVs to play their new generation consoles/games. They were complaining that they couldn't read menu screens. My TV is held together by packing tape and my newest console is a PS2, and I'm thrilled to have what I have. It pisses me off when people get super entitled about technology that doesn't really effect their life as a whole.
  • People who say "umm" as they consider what to say next. Fill that time with silence, damn it.
  • The music industry.

For 30 years, music has been selling out. The '80s welcomed over-produced bands, unimaginative synthesizers, and acted as a graveyard of good musicians from the '70s. The '90s jacked up concert prices, and signed bands because they were safe, rather than new. The '00s condensed the companies that produced the major music down to 6 (Time-Warner, CBS, Disney/ABC, News Corp., GE, and Viacom), neutered the last rebels in the industry (hip-hop and grunge) and turned previously corporate-neutral music venues into advertisements. Contemporary music heard by any significant audience is watered-down commercially tested noise only describable as a KORG having a seizure with some uninspired "artist" making milquetoast and usually meaningless remarks upon it and only upsets the people who are payed by the people who profit from making things that upset people.

Of course, some of us (by which I mean the upcoming generation, since the Millenials fucked up their chance to rebel by replacing their "glory days" with "quarter-life crises") are smart enough to notice this. I'm not saying that there's no good music anymore, but that we cannot organize around it. However, we find ourselves unable to centralize our cultural rebellion. The internet has made it easy to find more bands you know you'd like, but more difficult to find things that you'd never think to look for. The previous solution has been radio stations, but they're all owned by Clear Channel now.

Instead, our solution is to deny modern music all together. The people who are dying their hair and messing with psychedelics, the people participating in historically rebellious acts and would be going to CBGB in the '70s or hanging out in Harlem in the '40s are people like Liv (16), whose favorite band is The Beatles; Owen (17), whose favorite band is The Doors; I'm guilty of this too (well, not the psychedelics) , my top six most-listened to tracks all from The Wild, The Innocent, and the E-Street Shuffle.

That's right: we're fighting against old white people by listening to music listened to by old white people.

This would work, because hey, even if it's old, it gives us something to rally around, right? Wrong. The music isn't old enough for the original fans to have died out. The people going to 'Stones concerts are going to be all walks of life. We need music that brings the punks and deviants together. Get the thinkers together, so that they can understand there are like-minded thinkers and that they have the numbers to start doing things.

TL;DR: The Big Six have shot any plausable cultural rebellion in the foot, and I don't know how we can fix it.
  • I listen to almost nothing but professional hip hop artists. They write at about revolution, race, drugs, social problems, rape, murder, and everything in-between without regard to popular trends. They all run in the same circles and many of them are under the same labels (mostly Rhymesayers, the now-defunct Def Jux, and Strange Famous). The cultural rebellion you want is there, there's even a market for it, you just have to know where to look.
  • Not even gonna touch that one.
  • The cultural rebellion you want is there, there's even a market for it, you just have to know where to look.
    It's there, but it's unorganized. What we have now is a large number of very small counter-cultures. Without a singular artist or movement uniting us, we fall into Khanates that posses no power due to their size.
  • People who pronounce my legal first name, Luis, as "Lou-isse," instead of the proper pronunciation, which is more like "Lou-ijsh."
  • People who pronounce my legal first name, Luis, as "Lou-isse," instead of the proper pronunciation, which is more like "Lou-ijsh."
    Who actually calls anyone with your name anything other than just Lou?
    Who actually calls anyone with your name anything other than just Lou?
    Basically, it's mostly people who I don't interact with on a very regular basis. This is usually people such as hotel staff, airport security, and whatnot who basically only know my name from my ID and credit cards, which are all using my legal name. However, there are a few folks I work with who, for whatever reason, only go by my legal name. I suspect it's because that's the name on my cube's name tag and on my email. The ones I actually talk to regularly do use "Lou," but sometimes they slip up and use "Luis."
  • I listen to nothing but classic rock and I know 23 is my fucking prime. So I'm more annoyed at my generation inventing the quarter life crisis.
  • The music industry.

For 30 years, music has been selling out. /blockquote>Try the last 300 years. Nothing's new here except the technology.

Those previous "cultural revolutions" weren't about music, and the current "cultural revolution" is happening so fast you can't even see it. The very idea of culture is morphing into something new, to the point that the idea of youth "rebelling" against the culture of their parents is quaint and antiquated.

• edited January 2013
    I don't get it. How do you ever mispronounce someone's first name?

If you don't know someones name they are Sir or Ma'am (Miss for the young ladies). If you know their name, you call them Mr or Mrs _______ unless invited to use their first name or derivative thereof. Then you pay attention to how they say it.

In what bizzaro world do you walk up to someone you've never met and use their first name? Or is this etiquette different in other parts of world that I haven't been to?

A related pet peeve: Folks who call you a version of your name without asking you first.
    I fething hate it when people call me Johnny.
    Post edited by Drunken Butler on
  • edited January 2013
    Actually, it's really easy to mispronounce my first name, but that may not apply to all first names. The problem is that my first name, Luis, is spelled the same in Spanish and Portuguese. The pronunciation most people use for it is the Spanish pronunciation, presumably because people of Spanish-speaking ancestry are much more common in the US than those of Portuguese-speaking ancestry. However, I'm of Portuguese ancestry, so the correct pronunciation (from my point of view) is the Portuguese pronunciation.

FWIW, I consider the English pronunciation of "Luis" (i.e. how you pronounce "Lewis" or "Louis") to be acceptable when talking to me in English. It's just the Spanish pronunciation that annoys me.

Second, yeah, I usually get "Mr. Arruda" in situations when dealing with people who don't know me, but there are times when they do need to pronounce my first name -- for example, when confirming my reservation is for me and not some other "Mr. Arruda." Then there is also the co-worker thing, where we are all on a first name basis because that's just how my office (most of the ones I've worked at, actually) rolls.

Normally, I just tell people "call me Lou." Even my family calls me "Lou" when talking to me in English, although they use "Luis" (and my middle name, as there are a lot of guys named "Luis" in my family and we need to use the middle names to disambiguate) when talking to me in Portuguese.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • Drunken Bulter, I mispronounce my WIFE's name.

Laura = http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/laura so many different ways!
  • edited January 2013
    Try the last 300 years. Nothing's new here except the technology.
    A) I'd argue that national culture (the kind I'm trying to address, in case I didn't make that clear) is only as old as radio.
    B) I don't see how Louis Armstrong or Bob Dylan were selling out. The shift to the three-minute pop song could be seen as such, but the industry used to at least sign people who would do different things with that three-minute pop song -- a lot of them commercially nonviable.
    Those previous "cultural revolutions" weren't about music, and the current "cultural revolution" is happening so fast you can't even see it. The very idea of culture is morphing into something new, to the point that the idea of youth "rebelling" against the culture of their parents is quaint and antiquated.
    If you can't see it, then it's a shift, not a revolution. This whole notion of covert cultural resistance has resulted in a passivity in both my generation and yours that is truly deplorable.

Furthermore, if you remove rebellion from the youth, then where do you get it? We need new concepts, new ideas, new movements. These things don't come from people who have already decided how they will see the world.

As an aside, there's a reason I didn't call it "cultural revolution."
    Post edited by Greg on
  • Beethoven was considered a sellout in his day.