This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite quotes

1235»

Comments

• Greg said:

Ilmarinen said:

Slavery is an economic argument, and economics seem to be exactly what that guy is arguing.

So, statements like "These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun" or "It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst" are purely economic? Obviously not purely, racist politician in racist times and racist place does racist things. The main gist of his argument is that freeing the slaves would destroy the economy and society of Mississippi though.
    Ilmarinen said:

the preamble makes it pretty clear that slavery is a violation of the constitution

Have you ever heard of a case called Dred Scott? We had to add a new amendment to the Constitution to get rid of slavery, because SCOTUS ruled against your claim.
    SCOTUS isn't always (or even often) right, they're politicians playing the political game, not impartial. Notice they ruled against him because he wasn't a citizen, not because he was wrong.
    Rym said:

Ilmarinen said:

Slavery is an economic argument

From that overly reductive perspective, so was the holocaust. Purely an economic initiative.
    I'm sure that argument could be made, but slavery was the backbone of the southern economy, and the situation was in no way analogous with Germany.
  • Ilmarinen said:

Greg said:

Ilmarinen said:

Slavery is an economic argument, and economics seem to be exactly what that guy is arguing.

So, statements like "These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun" or "It advocates negro equality, socially and politically, and promotes insurrection and incendiarism in our midst" are purely economic? Obviously not purely, racist politician in racist times and racist place does racist things. The main gist of his argument is that freeing the slaves would destroy the economy and society of Mississippi though.
    Ilmarinen said:

the preamble makes it pretty clear that slavery is a violation of the constitution

Have you ever heard of a case called Dred Scott? We had to add a new amendment to the Constitution to get rid of slavery, because SCOTUS ruled against your claim.
    SCOTUS isn't always (or even often) right, they're politicians playing the political game, not impartial. Notice they ruled against him because he wasn't a citizen, not because he was wrong.
    Rym said:

Ilmarinen said:

Slavery is an economic argument

From that overly reductive perspective, so was the holocaust. Purely an economic initiative.
    I'm sure that argument could be made, but slavery was the backbone of the southern economy, and the situation was in no way analogous with Germany.
    If slavery is the backbone, then it deserves to die. Doubly so when one race of people are enslaved and nobody else is.
  • "There's no such thing as age brackets, not in my mind. Cause a person isn't actually old in numbers of years but in the miles he's traveled and how he keeps his mind active." - Jimi Hendrix
  • I have of late,—but wherefore I know not,—lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed, it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o’erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire,—why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! how infinite in faculties! in form and moving, how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust?

- Hamlet
  • On its own, I always like adding the next line: "Man delights not me." Punctuates the speech very nicely, and doesn't end awkwardly as a lead-in for R&G.
  • Greg said:

Next time someone tells you that the Civil War was over economics/states rights/anything that isn't slavery, hit 'em with this:

Did so. Mostly silence from the shitbags, positive response from the non-shitbags. The only negative response so far has been one guy saying "Well, if people wanted to be racist, they'd use a swakista flag" - and he was swiftly told essentially "Or a confederate one."

Also got supplied another in response - "Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition." - Alexander Stephens, vice president of the Confederacy
  • So, I was rereading Scott v Stanford because of Huckabee's recent remarks, and I found this gem:

The change in public opinion and feeling in relation to the African race which has taken place since the adoption of the Constitution cannot change its construction and meaning, and it must be construed and administered now according to its true meaning and intention when it was formed and adopted.

• Two greats from Patrick Stickles, frontman for the band Titus Andronicus. One from an interview, the other from private correspondence.

“Knowing that you are out there, somewhere, heart brimming with faith in us and in our vision, is a sustenance rivaled only by the sun.”

“I have sown these seeds at great personal sacrifice, and now I will reap, I will synthesize, and synergize these experiences into a perfect piece of art.”
  • “Political economy, considered as a branch of the science of a statesman or legislator, proposes two distinct objects: first, to provide a plentiful revenue or substinence for the people, or more properly to enable them to provide such a revenue or substinence for themselves; and secondly, in supply the state or commonwealth with a revenue sufficient for the public services. It proposes to enrich both the people and the sovereign.” – Adam Smith, Introduction to Book IV of Wealth of Nations