This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime this Season

edited July 2007 in Anime
So, there've been a few new shows launched in Japan and we've (some of us) had a chance to see which ones we liked. So what are *you* watching this summer?

As for me I'm continuing a few shows from spring.

I'm a bit surprised at how Nanoha StrikerS is turning out. While the first two seasons of the show were all about epic battles and enemies becoming friends this season seems to be mostly about building a team and politics so far. I can't really say I'm unhappy, but I'm a weird person who finds himself interested by the writers solutions to questions like "How do familiars fit into the chain of command" and "How does one's level of magical talent affect one's promotions and advancement" interesting.

Darker than Black continues to be awesome in its badass, focus-on-fleshing-out-one-character-per-two-episode-mini-arc way.

Lucky Star continues to be just funny enough to keep me watching.

Gurren Lagann seems to have absorbed all of the AWESOMENESS that one would have expected to see in StrikerS. Its quite silly if you think about it. Its totally entertaining. I'm riding this train 'till the end.

I haven't checked out too many shows for the new season but one that really struck out at me was Sayonara Zetsubō Sense aka Goodbye, Mr. Despair. I could say that this is by the same studio and director that did Pani Poni Dash but with the absurd characters in a more realistic setting. In any event I liked the art and the directing, and I was laughing out loud several times during each of the first two episodes. And with Two of my my favorite anime blogs following it I'm pretty sure I will as well.

Comments

• I'm really liking Claymore thus far. You just don't get much good dark fantasy stuff in anime nowadays. Gurren Lagann also looks really entertaining, though I really just watched the first episode and forgot to keep watching the rest of the series. I'll probably have to do so. I should also probably get around to watching Skull Man as well.
  • Yes, G-L is made of win.
    DON'T BELIEVE IN YOU! BELIEVE IN ME, WHO BELIEVES IN YOU!
  • Gurren Lagann and Lucky Star are great, although I still find Hayate no Gotoku to be better then LS at least.
  • I totally agree with you Symmetry on Darker than Black!!! It's the best show of the season! I love how the secrets of the show aren't given away in the first couple of episodes. Once they hook you in, it is tough to set yourself free again.
  • For the Summer 07 anime I'm watching:
    Mushi-uta
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
    waiting for someone to sub Baccano!

Still watching:
    Darker than Black
    Claymore
  • I think Scrym have been busy watching this.
  • I think Scrym have been busywatching this.
    DOGGAMIT MAN! Not NSFW on links like that . . . sheesh.
  • What do you guys think of Zombie Loan?
  • Steel Jeeg anyone?
    I'm indifferent towards it, it is far from the worse anime of the season but after watching the first two episodes there is nothing there that really interests me.
  • Neither Bokurano nor Seirei no Moribito have been mentioned yet. Both are excellent.
  • Baccano!  Fuck Yes!
  • We just watched the first episode of Baccano! It was convoluted to say the least, but shows great potential. Plus, it has some of our favorite voice actors in major roles. Expect to hear more about it soon.
  • Steel Jeeg anyone?

DOUBLE SPIN STORRRRRMMMMM!
  • edited August 2007
    What do you guys think of Zombie Loan? I'm indifferent towards it, it is far from the worse anime of the season but after watching the first two episodes there is nothing there that really interests me.
    I would suggest checking out at least one more episode, it gets much more interesting.  As far as other anime go, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Baccano! look very promising.
    Post edited by Magic on
    I'm indifferent towards it, it is far from the worse anime of the season but after watching the first two episodes there is nothing there that really interests me.

I would suggest checking out at least one more episode, it gets much more interesting. As far as other anime go, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Baccano! look very promising.

ehh I give it the three episodes to try and hook me. And Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is already way past promising into the realm of awesome and into required viewing.
  • Has anyone seen Denno Coil yet?

If you like Ghost in the Shell, Serial Experiments Lain, or any other series that has to do with teh internetz, definitely go download a torrent at AnimeSuki.

It's a kids' show; however, the technology keeps me interested and it's usually humorous.
  • For the Summer 07 anime I'm watching:
    Mushi-uta
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
    Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
    waiting for someone to sub Baccano!

Still watching:
    Darker than Black
    Claymore
    I took a look at Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei today. It follows a teacher who, living an extremely negative life, wants to kill himself, but is 'saved' by one of his students, who always remains optimistic about everything.

It's... damn strange. The art is really original and the animation is very fluid, so the series is certainly pretty to look at. The anime being an anime though doesn't really seem to work -- it seems as if the creator tried to put the manga into an animated form and it didn't go over so well. Still, the art is along the lines of something you'd see alongside the anime form of Paradise Kiss, so it's worth checking out.