This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

More tidbits about Scientology(clearing something up)

edited July 2007 in Everything Else
Okay, I have come to realize that most of the people on the interwebs seem to be under the impression that Naconon is a Scientology based organization. It is. HOWEVER, most people seem to be confusing Narconon with Nar-Anon and Narcotics Anonymous, and it is neither. Narconon was founded in 66, whereas Narcotics Anonymous was founded in the 50's(if I remember correctly). Another misunderstanding is that people believe that Alcoholics Anonymous is a Scientology based organization, but AA was founded back around the 20's(again, if I remember correctly), which is well before the beginnings of Scientology. Most people think that AA and NA are both based on Scientology, but that comes from the similar names of Narconon and Nar-Anon(and NA), and the fact that NA came from AA.

Nar-Anon is for the families and friends of NA members, and such.

More information can be found here.

And a brief explanation about Narconon and its lack of affiliation with Nar-Anon or NA can be found in the beginning of the Wikipedia entry for Narconon, which can be found here.

Comments

• Did I miss a thread somewhere? Where did this come up?
  • That it's not connected to Scientology doesn't change the fact that it doesn't seem to work as well as advertised...
  • It's just that everyone talking about Scientology brings up that AA and NA are connected to Scientology. If I'm not mistaken, even Scrym has made that mistake.
  • Narcotics Anonymous is just as bad, simply for different reasons.  It's still a pseudo-religious organization with no scientific basis for its "treatment."  It's no different than any of the other "12-step" programs...