This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PC I would buy right now

edited April 2006 in Technology
We're going to get these new servers at work. In the meantime, we've got one beta server to play with. I can't tell if it has 2 or 4 processors, but they are dual-core Opterons. This machine is one of the fastest computers I've ever used. My desktop computer is a 1.8 Ghz AMD Athlon XP. My work laptop is even less. The other computers in our house are even less powerful than that.

My current desktop has less than a year of life left in it. One of the two video card fans is dead. The SATA controller is a little flaky. I had to replace the north-bridge fan with a blue heatsink because it died. So, being bored at work, I designed a new computer on Newegg. Lots of rebates!

Check it out!

Comments

• Very very similiar to the computer I just built for myself, except I went a little more high end on the processor.
  • Hot damn Scott. That is going to be a screaming machine. Love the case.
  • edited April 2006
    except I went a little more high end on the processor.
    WTF are you going to do with a processor faster than that? Planning to solve some of those million-dollar math problems? That CPU is $300! Anything faster gets scarily expensive. I'm not about to spend that kind of money for a chip that will be $100 in six to twelve months. It's bad enough that the CPU costs twice as much as any other part in that computer. Faster than that is insane.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103547

it's not much more expensive then the one you picked.. (I think this is the processor I bought I didn't have time to go look at my history..

and I got 2 gigs of ram because I run Windows XP.... ^_^
  • my computer came out like a bit more then 100 dollars more then the one you built.
  • Well look at that. I guess I kind of glossed over that looking at the prices pretty quickly. I'd totally get the 4200 now looking at the prices for more than half a second. Stupid 2's and 3's. But anything more than the 4200 is insane, the price just gets out of control. I always check http://www.sharkyextreme.com to find the current CPU and RAM prices.
  • I know you don't think you need a high end processor, but have you played with HD MPG4 files yet? It takes your processor to a whole new level. You need 3 GHz minimum. I don't have a pc in the house that can handle it. I've been looking at a $600 intel chip because I've heard intel handles that sort of processing better than AMD.
  • edited April 2006
    If you're talking about encoding video, then yes. You want the fastest CPU you can buy if you plan on encoding high resolution video. In fact, you probably want two or more processors. The more the merrier, since video encoding will occupy a CPU for hours on end. If you are talking about just playing video files, then no. I've played very high resolution video files on computers much slower than the latest 3GHz Intel. I can't recommend buying a fast CPU to just watch videos with.

As for Intel being better at AMD when it comes to any particular application, that is questionable. It is true that some CPUs have different features which can be utilized to perform certain types of instructions faster. For example, the Apple G4s and G5s have a feature--which I forget the acronym for--that allows them to process the same instructions repeatedly with increasing performance gains.

However, in order to get the advantage from features like this the software you are running must be optimized to do so. If I write a program and compile it to run on any x86 chip then it wont take advantage of MMX, SSE or any other advanced featuresets. On the same token if I compile a program to run best on a Pentium4 then a chip with fewer features than a Pentium4 might have trouble running the program. At worst it wont run at all. If a particular program you plan to run is optimized for the latest Intel processors, then of course it wont run as well on an equivalently powered AMD. But to say that Intel does X better than AMD does X is such a general statement it is hard for it not to be false.

Lastly, AMD processors are curently, and have almost always had, a better price:performance ratio than Intel processors. So while a $600 Intel might run a particular application faster than the equivalently powered AMD chip, the AMD will probably only cost $300. You're better off at that point just getting a $500 AMD chip which will be faster than the $600 Intel. Make sure you compare price:performance before you spend money.

I want to add one more thing. As of late Intel's processors have show to be much more power efficient than AMD chips. If you are buying a laptop I highly recommend one with Intel inside to maximize battery life and efficiency.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Well I'm going to buy a new processor and try to overclock it as much as possible in the comming week. Damn System Idle Process is taking up 92% of my CPU.
  • Overclocking is stupid. There is no point to overclocking other than satisfying a geeky urge to tool around uselessly with electronics. Five years ago overclocking was a good idea. You added a fan to your computer and you changed a number in the BIOS, viola! Your $300 chip was now as fast as the $500 chips. If you were lucky you could buy a slow Celeron and get it to run faster than any chip on the market. You could play some Quake2 or Counter-Strike with a significantly increased fps.

Nowadays overclocking is just a waste of time. Sure, if you're really cheap you can maybe buy a $100 processor and make it as fast as a $150 or $200 chip. Of course, it might do you no good since you'll have to buy a $50 cooling kit. Not to mention the fact that all it gets you is a few measly fps. Look at video card charts these days. The difference between the top of the line $100 video card and the very reasonable $200 card is less than 25fps. Come on!

Don't waste your time overclocking. It's not economically sound. It's a waste of time, and it risks damaging expensive and useful hardware. If you really need your computer to be faster just buy a faster one and be done with it. Of course, 99% of people don't really need a faster computer. Even gamers don't really need it to be that much more powerful. Faster chips, bigger video cards, more RAM and SLI are mostly penis extenders these days. People can't afford hot rods anymore, so they just buy fast computers and rice out their Civics. Give me a break.
  • edited April 2006
    jk ^^^^^
    Post edited by frostbitten_panda on
  • Dude that computer's sick!
  • Don't you think that clock speed matters though? If you can take a 3 GHz chip and get 5 GHz out of it, it seems to me that's a tremendous speed increase. Also, many suppliers are now shipping boxes with the processors and the graphics cards overclocked. If it was just cosmetic, would they bother?

Some of the AMD chips don't seem to be as XP friendly as the intel chips. Don't get me wrong, two of my best computers right now are AMD chips, but I've always thought that, generally speaking, intel chips are better for stability and non-gaming applications.
  • More clock speed on the same chip does make it faster. But are you seriously overclocking a 3GHz chip to 5GHz? You seem to be pretty concerned about stability, why would you overclock? Overclocking isn't purely cosmetic. But it's about as silly as putting a turbo in your Honda Civic. If you want something faster, buy something faster.

As for the rest, just wait until we teach you how computers work. Just let me say there's a lot of misinformation spread around by various companies. They are all just trying to sell more chips and add value to their brands. We'll tell you the real deal on a technological level.
  • I await with baited breath.

But seriously, there is hype in every industry. Look at the G5s when they came out. They were supposed to be fast, but they had low clock speeds. My iMac G5 runs at 1.8 GHz. It is s l o w. When Apple switched to Intel, the machines made a huge jump in overall performance, in most cases the machines have higher clock speeds.

Now I'll grant you, clock speed is not everything, I understand that the architecture of a CPU matters as much or more as clock speed. But all things being equal and assuming no software maximization for a particular chip, clock speed is going to make a difference. In other words, if the chips are of the same class and one has a higher clock speed, it's going to be faster.
  • Just get a Mac. It's made me a happier person. An Intel iMac would do you guys, if you want the power go for the PowerMac. Wait for the PowerMac though, when it goes to intel I think they are looking at two quad core chips. Something Intel has lined up for the end of the year.

That way you can install Linux too, when the virtualisation technology comes out in OSX Leopard.
  • I've thought about a Mac. But the thing is that I have a lot of old PC games. I don't play them so much anymore. In fact, I can't really remember the last time I actually played PC games seriously. I just wouldn't feel comfortable denying myself the ability to play those games if I really wanted to. I would really consider getting a Mac if they released an ultra-portable laptop with some sort of flash memory and long battery life. But a desktop Mac is out of the question. I would definitely consider a Mac mini as a living room PC.

Also, notice how this PC I designed is like $900. A PowerMac is multiple thousands of dollars. If the $900 is powerful enough, why spend that much more? I'm going to run Linux either way.

And I hate the Mac keyboard. I need my happy hacking keyboard!
  • Then we are brothers! For I just bought the same computer, essentially:

Athlon X2 3800+
    GeForce 7900 GT
    WD Raptor 150 GB 10k SATA (even though I swore off WD...I'm a whore)

They say the X2 is a tad slower at single-threaded 32-bit applications, but if you multitask a lot, it will be helpful. Also, if you're using Gentoo, or linux in general, I imagine the dual core will be quite instrumental in improving compile times.
  • Hey, wait, what are you getting for a hard drive, Scott? I don't see one on your NewEgg wish list.
  • I already have plenty of hard drives. If I got hard drives I would just get Seagate SATAs like I always do. They're selling a 300G drive for $100 last I looked. I'm also not buying a computer anytime soon. This will probably change a lot. This is just what I put together in my spare time at work.
  • Has anyone heard about boot camp? It allows you to run windows xp (linux maybe) on an intel mac. I've heard it's much faster than runnning it on a PC, but that's probably because of the core duo processor. However, I believe dell has a new dual core processor in a couple of their new latops.

I'm totally gonna buy a mac now. Screw the mouse and the keyboard, they're a better design than anything out right now. Let's admit it, macs are the best looking computers ever made. Ask yourself. Would you rather have an ugly dell laptop with windows, or a apple powerbook with windows?
  • Yeah, we know about Boot Camp. There's a forum thread in there somewhere. They mentioned it in the podcast too. I'm getting a MacBook Pro in the summer.
  • Has anyone heard about boot camp?
    lo frekking l. It cracks me up every time people, especially our listeners, try to inform us of the latest awesome things. Imagine a guy going up to the editor of the New York Times on the street and asking him if he heard about the front page story. Comic gold.

Here's some helpful information for everyone. If you hear a news item, there's a 99% chance we've heard of it. There's an 85% chance we've heard of it many days ago. It will be a very rare event when someone tells us some bit of tech news that we do not know.

I visit Digg, Slashdot and many other sites multiple times a day. I also monitor quite a few sites via RSS. Rym reads Fark, Slashdot and some other sites as well. Unlike some kids who only read websites once a day when they get home from school, we employed folk are able to monitor the web constantly. It's like we have an intra-veinous news feed. So unless you are coming up to us with something super-obscure, then the answer is "Yes, we've known all about it for days".

As for Boot Camp itself, it's alright. But dual-booting is not a real solution. Virtual machines, or wine-like applications, are the best solution. It's just too much effort to reboot. I think bootcamp serves two purposes. It makes it OK for current non-Mac users to switch. The knowledge that they can still run Windows if they need to is all that some people need to be pushed over the edge. That alone will sell quite a few Apples. It will definitely pay off the development costs Apple has had to incur to make bootcamp. Secondly, all the Apple people will be running Photoshop in Windows on their MacBooks. A lot of them are waiting for Adobe to release a universal binary, boot camp will get a few of them to stop waiting and buy the Intel Mac now instead of later.

As for buying a laptop because it looks nice. I don't know if that's the best idea. Would you really pay a premium price for what is essentially the same product just because it looks nice and has a crappier keyboard? Also, there are more choices out there than just Dell and Apple. Have you looked at a Fujitsu P7120D? How about the awesome Panasonic, Samsung, Sony and Fujitsu Japanese import laptops available from http://www.dynamism.com? If you're going to buy an Apple you should do it because you want to use OSX and you want iLife. That's what the high price of a Mac is for. If you aren't going to use that stuff, don't buy one. If you are going to use that stuff, then I encourage you to buy many Macs.
  • And you can find all those great sites Scott mentioned on popurls.com on one page.

;)
  • Heh.. The only person who really scoops us is Emily, since she's in Japan and keeps her ear to the ground on all of the anime/manga news we'd care about. If it isn't in English in some form yet, we're not likely to know about it.