This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

Comments

• (Yoko. He was in love with Yoko. Then again who wouldn't be. She is fucking hot!)
  • (spoiler shit)
    Pfft. The cigarette smoking mechanic chick is far superior
  • I guess it's reverse moe. Instead of drawing an 8-year-old girl and say that she is 18, they draw a 20 year old woman and say she is 14. Equally perverted.
    I just looked at the Wiki for the characters... Simon, Nia, and Yoko are all the same age and Kamina is 17. Kamina, while still being totally awesome, should now be considered a pedo-bear for hitting on the under aged Yoko.
  • I guess it's reverse moe. Instead of drawing an 8-year-old girl and say that she is 18, they draw a 20 year old woman and say she is 14. Equally perverted.
    I just looked at the Wiki for the characters... Simon, Nia, and Yoko are all the same age and Kamina is 17. Kamina, while still being totally awesome, should now be considered a pedo-bear for hitting on the under aged Yoko.
    Well, it's only 3 years difference. It'd be like a Junior dating a Freshman. Not really that bad.
  • edited May 2008
    I don't know why, but the idea of Juniors and Seniors in High School dating Freshman irks me.

EDIT: Is it just me, or is the soundtrack to this series almost impossible to find? I finished the series months ago and have been scouring the intertubes since and have just recently found it.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • I don't know why, but the idea of Juniors and Seniors in High School dating Freshman irks me.

EDIT: Is it just me, or is the soundtrack to this series almost impossible to find? I finished the series months ago and have been scouring the intertubes since and have just recently found it.
    I found it easily on ISOHunt. The name is Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann BEST SOUND, and it's two discs.
  • I don't know why, but the idea of Juniors and Seniors in High School dating Freshman irks me.

I found it easily on ISOHunt. The name is Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann BEST SOUND, and it's two discs.
    Thank you . You just saved me some time.
  • The Caramelldansen thread got me thinking about re-animated anime fan parodies in general, and reminded me of a few awesome Gurren Lagann fan animations that I've seen.

Sayonara Gurren Lagann:

Re: Cutie Simon (yes, that is Simon's seiyuu singing; I don't know where they found him singing that, but there it is!):

Ganmen no Naku Koro ni (possibly a bit spoilerish for the post-time-skip arc; also includes concepts for a Haruhi OP parody!):

There was also a great Utena one that I found a little while back, but it has unfortunately been removed, and no one else has uploaded it. :(
  • So I marathoned this show this weekend. All I have to say is FUCK YEAH!

Okay, I have more to say, that was fucking awesome! I agree with those above who thought the pre-time-skip part felt better, however, I find the post-time-skip to be equally awesome but for different reasons. [spoiler]Galaxy frisbees, fuck yeah. Mecha piloting mecha, piloting mecha, piloting mecha... etc. OMG! The post-time-skip was just an epic fuck-ton of over the top craziness, whereas the pre-time-skip it was just an epic fuck-ton of craziness.
    'nipponsei', I'm feeling lucky. For all your anime music needs. I think you can find there absolutely every single anime OST and character song ever released.
  • That Higurashi/GL flash video is absolutely awesome for anyone who knows both series.
  • Gurren-Lagann english voice cast juxtaposed to the same scene with the Japanese voice cast.
    Kamina makes me rage a bit, Viral sounds fucking 12, but Yoko's voice seems to fit.
  • Kamina's English voice... ... ... bad, yeah, though only because it's so different from the awesome original voice. Yoko indeed fits, though I prefer the original. Viral I couldn't hear at all, crappy audio is really crappy. Simon is decent, so is Nia (both judging from first scene of Nia). Rest of the shown cast sounded also decent. Original cast is better imho, but then again, those are the voices I have associated with the characters.
  • Leeron, Simon and Nia dub voices are alright. Everyone else is so....ew or meh!
  • Leeron, Simon and Nia dub voices are alright. Everyone else is so....ew or meh!
    My friend summed it up thus: "Leeron is sufficiently FABULOUS~!".
  • I don't know how much longer this link will be for the first episode, but if you wanna check out the dub (or haven't seen a second of this show), Sci-Fi has the first episode up for free.
    Kinda looks like Eureka from Eureka Seven.
    I'm thinking I should go get this show.
    I also think Yoko is alright as well.
  • Kamina just lacks that sort of "oh yeah" quality to his voice, Simon sounds meh, as does Yoko, Viral's voice is no where near as awesome as it was in Japanese, Kittan's sisters sound around the same, Kittan lacks the awesomeness, Leeron sounds just as gay, and Nia sounds the same. All and all, I am not impressed. Gurren Lagaan is one of those pump you up shows. Your just supposed to watch it, get riled up, and want to punch something afterwards from the sheer amount of awesome that has been shot into your system. These English voices just don't do that.

Did anyone else notice that they were pronouncing Simon's and Viral's names in the Japanese fashion (Shi-mon and Vee-ral)?
  • edited April 2009
    Preview of the movie, which comes out on DVD today. Pretty much everyone is expecting raws sometime tonight. (Spoilers ahoy)
    Post edited by Neito on
  • ...yes....yes...YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited April 2009
    A subtitled torrent exists as of 5 hours ago.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • If you haven't watched the TV show yet, judging by the few clips I've seen, this will be an OK replacement. It seems to feel more epic (in the traditional sense, not the internet sense) than the show, mostly because it's shorter. Also, I've heard that the side characters are used a bit better in this version.
  • The only problem I have had with the movie is actually with the subtitle track that I have on my copy. I have a mkv file and the subtitles cover the entire picture and sometimes run over each other. I am using VLC player, can anyone help me?
  • I am using VLC player
    I am using a hammer to cut this sandwich, and I keep getting sandwich everywhere.
  • edited April 2009
    Some people like programs that are easy to use, reliable and, come with all the codecs you need.

It's probably an ASS/SRT issue. Have a look in the subtitle preferences and mess around.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Thanks for the heads up!
  • Some people like programs that are easy to use, reliable and, come with all the codecs you need.

It's probably an ASS/SRT issue. Have a look in the subtitle preferences and mess around.
    Except VLC is FAMOUS for the problems it has with subtitle files.
    Seriously, Li, it's more than likely VLC. Try it in Media Player Classic or something and see if it works.
  • edited April 2009
    Seriously? I usually go to VLC whenever I have video's that don't work with other players.

Also, has it always been this bad or are sub groups getting more pretentious?
    Post edited by Omnutia on

• Also, has it always been this bad or are sub groups getting more pretentious?
    To quote Abe Simpson, "A little from column A, a little from column B."
  • Also, has it always been this bad or are sub groups getting more pretentious?
    Do you mean the subs covering the screen, or the translation? If it's regarding the subs, it IS your media player. MKV file subtitles are, as far as I know, text stored that can be displayed at whatever size you want on the video. If you can tweak it somehow, do it. If not, use Media Player Classic or Mplayer and try your luck.