This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

Comments

• edited April 2009
    You're talking about ASS/SRT libraries I think. They add in all the style information. If you turn them off you just get the plain text but you loose the ability for text to go at the top of the screen and you end up with it all clumped together at the bottom. SMPlayer and VLC can turn them on and off.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Also, has it always been this bad or are sub groups getting more pretentious?
    Fansubbers are doing nothing wrong. VLC is just a piece of crap that only follows 3 lines from a specification and ignores the rest. It probably will NEVER be worth your time to dick around with VLC due to its unpredictable shittyness. Seriously, people should stop using the shit, install the CCCP and be done with it. NO MORE PROBLEMS, EVER, unless the video has been fucked up ON PURPOSE breaking specification.

For Mac and Linux just use Mplayer, it doesn't do a few things, but still more, and more correct, than VLC.
  • Agreed. I'm on windows; A long time ago I tried VLC: I hated the interface, it would stutter when I paused, and it wasn't long before I found something it couldn't handle. I promptly switched to Media Player Classic + K-Lite codec pack. After a fair while (K-Lite was decent), I encountered something it couldn't handle. I switched to CCCP and have had zero problems since.
  • Since this is about media players now, I figured I'd share a discovery of mine. I've been searching for MONTHS for a Windwos media player that supports global hotkeys, so I can watch it on my second monitor while I draw. My Wacom is mapped to only my main monitor, so I have to grab the mouse if I want to control the media player on the second screen. Pain in the ass. But anyway, I finally found this program, KMPlayer, which works like a charm. Just in case anyone might need something like that. I can't vouch for its suitability for anime fansubs and whatnot, as I don't really watch them, but it seems like a pretty solid player overall.
  • edited April 2009
    Mplayer is just too unreliable, freezes randomly and just wont play some videos. VLC is where it's at in terms of reliability and not having to install several programs to get things working.

In terms of fan-subbers being pretentious, I was referring to all the font effects they use in subtitles nowadays, especially in openings.
  • Mplayer is just too unreliable, freezes randomly and just wont play some videos. VLC is where it's at in terms of reliability and not having to install several programs to get things working.

In terms of fan-subbers being pretentious, I was referring to all the font effects they use in subtitles nowadays, especially in openings.
    Ever saw the Anime Fansub Documentary?
  • edited April 2009
    I remember seeing that. It's only recently that I've come across some really bad examples of what he talks about though.
  • Mplayer is just too unreliable, freezes randomly and just wont play some videos. VLC is where it's at in terms of reliability and not having to install several programs to get things working.
    Wtf? Mplayer has never frozen randomly for me. It plays AVIs and MKV's just fine (although the subs in mplayer with MKVs are fucking huge).
    Anyhow, I use all 3 players:
    MPlayer - for avi files only, for the most part. I like the interface and the keyboard shortcuts better than any other player. I've never had stability problems with it.
    VLC - for DVDs
    CCCP and MPC - mkvs, ogms (though ogms might be ok in vlc or mplayer, haven't really came across many ogm files), various music files,

VLC is easily the worst of the bunch, but it has the best DVD playback since Windows Media Center has decided to not work for me recently.
  • edited April 2009
    With any of the programs, you should be able modify the subtitle height in the preferences.
    Well, for me at least, VLC is rock solid and, while SMPlayer is getting better, it's not stable enough. Raw MPlayer isn't even worth trying.
  • In terms of fan-subbers being pretentious, I was referring to all the font effects they use in subtitles nowadays, especially in openings.
    What?! That kind of pretentiousness is unrelated to the problem of VLC's subtitle decoder being a piece of crap. Here I was thinking you were talking about the one fansub group that purposefully made their subtitle scripts and encodes so that VLC would noticeably go "FAILOL". Concerning the kind of pretentiousness you WERE talking about. They are 21st century digital fansubbers ON THE INTERNET. You can always turn off the subs during the OP and ED (just hit 'v'), if you are bothered. It's what I do with PHT's subs for Tetsuwan Birdy Decode 2. New style every other line, oh god. Coalguys do the same with K-ON, but at least those subs are somewhat 'stylish' (chalk on chalkboard) and aren't surrounded by all kinds of lights and shit and oh god PHT's OP subs suck so much.
  • It's Lord McDumbane, Mr. Ninemore, not bone.
  • It's Lord McDumbane, Mr. Ninemore, not bone.
    You'd read "whoreloaded" as "whore loaded" I see.
  • Here's a tidbit for people.

I recently discovered Mplayer OSX Extended. It's a very new version of MPlayer for OSX, and it works great. Plays everything awesomely.
  • edited April 2009
    It's Lord McDumbane, Mr. Ninemore, not bone.
    You'd read "whoreloaded" as "whore loaded" I see.
    Are you challenging me to a non sequitur deul, sir?

@Apreche: That's pretty neat. I'll keep it in mind for when I build an OSX86 machine.
  • Are you challenging me to a non-sequitur duel, sir?
    It is frankly too late for such nonsense, dear chap. Go eat your tea and drink your biscuit.
  • edited April 2009
    Go eat your tea and drink your biscuit.
    I just ate tea (pizza) but how on earth does one drink biscuits? aside from things like cookie dough milkshakes.
    [For those wondering: Tea is a colloquial term referring to the afternoon meal, you may have heard the people from Simply Syndicated call it that.]
  • I just ate tea (pizza) but how on earth does one drink biscuits? aside from things like cookie dough milkshakes.
    If you let them soak in your cuppa long enough, it's quite possible
  • edited April 2009
    But who would actually want to have that happen?
  • But who would actually want to have that happen?
    Well, you didn't ask why it would be done, just how. But there are some biscuts that certainly don't harm the flavor of it.
  • This world is a sick, sad place..
    No is not. Because, there is bacon
    and Tezuka
  • Correction: The world is a sick, sad, tasty and wonderful place.
  • No is not. Because, there is bacon
    You fool! You will infect the forum with swine flu!
  • We need to cut the pork out of this bloated forum. I propose a pork-free forum package for 2009! Now, to convince the Republicans...
  • edited April 2009
    Can flu germs be transmitted via meat? Do they need a live host or are we entering a dark age of economic rescission and no bacon?

I find it funny that when asked for the two best things in the world, Tezuka and bacon seem to fit.
  • I find it funny that when asked for the two best things in the world, Tezuka and bacon seem to fit.
    I just answered what Wallace Wells would have said.
  • Here's a tidbit for people.

I recently discoveredMplayer OSX Extended. It's a very new version of MPlayer for OSX, and it works great. Plays everything awesomely.
    Wow, thanks Scott. Finally a player that plays my HD .mkvs without any stuttering or strange artifacts.

Btw, just skipped through Paprika again and remembered how awesome the movie is.
  • There is not enough Gurren Lagann talk here! What did you guys think of the movie?