This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I think that it had a weird pace at the beginning. However, all the pseudo-new story and animation was awesome. I really like the small homage to the Go Nagai robots at the prelude. Another thing that I enjoyed is that now Lagann is not just a piece of mecha but it had a special connection with Simmon.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • This thread is now about making up Kamina-like sayings.

If something seems impossible that just means you're not trying hard enough! A real man bashes against the barrier of "Impossible" untill the IM falls off!
  • I hate the fact that they used stock footage in the movie instead of re animating. DUDE! They used footage from the infamous 4th episode! WHY! Really, only fans will enjoy this movie. I don't think a newbie that's just getting into it will like it much.
  • Another thing that I enjoyed is that now Lagann is not just a piece of mecha but it had a special connection with Simon.
    You mean like in the TV series?

I didn't like it. It was too short. I also doubt it's that accessible to people not having watched the TV series.

KAMINAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
  • edited April 2009
    I hate the fact that they used stock footage in the movie instead of re animating. DUDE! They used footage from the infamous 4th episode! WHY! Really, only fans will enjoy this movie. I don't think a newbie that's just getting into it will like it much.
    The stuff from the 4th episode was less than 10 seconds, I think. Also, I thought they redraw it, since I thought it was suppose to be a joke and animated it even crappier. However, I need to watch that episode to see if I am mistaken.
    Another thing that I enjoyed is that now Lagann is not just a piece of mecha but it had a special connection with Simon.
    You mean like in the TV series?

I didn't like it. It was too short. I also doubt it's that accessible to people not having watched the TV series.
    Well, I am talking that this time Lagann actually went to the rescue of Simmon, even though there was not key inside him. They had a connection made of manliness itself.
    Also, I am with you about that this movie is not accessible to people that have not watched the series already.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • edited November 2009
    The dub is...Eh...It's not awful...But some characters just aren't done justice. The actors do not have the epic intensity that the seiyu did.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Spike as Leeron is awesome, though. Then again, Steven Blum is awesome in general. The other voices are meh, and Kamina's voice sucks ass.
  • I'll be honest, I like Viral's voice, and Kamina's has grown on me. It's got that saturday-morning-superhero quality to it.
  • I like a lot of the voices, don't get me wrong. It's just that they don't have the right energy.
    Also, you know who was going to voice Viral if Funimation had kept the dub? Vic Mignogna.
    This Viral voice is therefore insignificant.
  • Spike as Leeron is awesome, though.
    When I heard his performance, the first thing I thought was "wow, Spike is fierce."
  • Funimation had kept the dub?
    ADV.
  • Funimation had kept the dub?
    ADV.
    Sorry, if ADV had kept the dub. But Vic told this to us at a panel of his I went to, so I know it's true. And it makes me sad...
  • No love for Simon's voice? I personally thought Yuri Lowenthal did a great job with him.
    1. And it makes me sad...

That Anime's Micheal Jackson would've been the voice of Viral? That would've depressed me, too.

That Anime's Micheal Jackson would've been the voice of Viral? That would've depressed me, too.
    How is Vic Mignogna the Michael Jackson of Anime? I think he's pretty cool. Does that imply that you don't like Michael Jackson?

How is Vic Mignogna the Michael Jackson of Anime? I think he's pretty cool. Does that imply that you don't like Michael Jackson?
    Let's just say that the reason Vic is banned from Anime Boston and the reason Micheal Jackson got sued are very similar, only involving opposite genders.
  • ...Wow...Seriously? I highly doubt this is Vic's fault, but okay...
  • Soooo about Netflix not having Gurren Lagann episode 8. I wrote an email to Bandai. The responded that they were upset that it was not there. How ever they can not do anything about that. It is up to Netflix. So today I called Netflix customer service and spoke to a very nice and helpful woman. She said that these things do happen and it is probably just a mistake when someone was uploading the episodes to the server. If they do not have #8 for whatever reason they will have to contact Bandai and it will take longer to fix. But if the problem is on their end it will be fixed in a few days. She filed a complaint that came from my account, and then told me they also have the ability to mark mistakes on an internal company basis. She did it from her company account too. She was very helpful so I asked to speak with her supervisor and gave her a good report. Can all members of Netflix please take some time out of your day to make a quick phone call to Netflix to report this. I'm sure if there are more reports it will be taken care of faster. 1-866-716-0414.
  • Called and they said they were going to get to work on it.
  • I've been watching Gurren Lagann on Netflix recently and I'm at episode 17. I hope I don't offend anyone in my assessment of the show so far. If I do, please chalk it up to my naivety.

So I've had thoughts of the show being somewhat childish at the beginning in trying to hurriedly lead the characters to get to the main juice of the show (the cool mech stuff!) There also seems to be a lot of cliches or traditional things thrown in the story topped with some new things that are unique for characters. But as I've continued watching the show and feel sucked into it now, I'm trying to figure out why I might like it. Forgive me, I'm new to anime so I could be way off base, but is this show somewhat paying homage to old school anime? Like Planet Terror for Zombie movies, or Starship Troopers for military sci fi? If so, I think this show is brilliant!
  • Forgive me, I'm new to anime so I could be way off base, but is this show somewhat paying homage to old school anime? Like Planet Terror for Zombie movies, or Starship Troopers for military sci fi? If so, I think this show is brilliant!
    Pretty much. A lot of what goes on in this show is a tribute to the giant robot anime shows of the 60's and 70's, but taken to ridiculous extremes.
  • Forgive me, I'm new to anime so I could be way off base, but is this show somewhat paying homage to old school anime? Like Planet Terror for Zombie movies, or Starship Troopers for military sci fi? If so, I think this show is brilliant!
    Pretty much. A lot of what goes on in this show is a tribute to the giant robot anime shows of the 60's and 70's, but taken to ridiculous extremes.
    You worded it much better! Glad to know my thinking is on the right track. Thanks!
  • So I've had thoughts of the show being somewhat childish at the beginning in trying to hurriedly lead the characters to get to the main juice of the show (the cool mech stuff!)
    How is that childish? Every show starts off getting to their main selling point in the first episode. If they don't, NOBODY IS GOING TO WATCH THE SECOND EPISODE. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a show about hot-blooded mecha fighting. So what do we get in the first episode? Hot-blooded Kamina and a small mecha fighting.
    Forgive me, I'm new to anime so I could be way off base, but is this show somewhat paying homage to old school anime? Like Planet Terror for Zombie movies, or Starship Troopers for military sci fi? If so, I think this show is brilliant!
    It does. Rym even mentioned that when he talked about the show on the podcast.
    You worded it much better! Glad to know my thinking is on the right track. Thanks!
    Basically, the show takes its tone from Getter Robo, a lot of its attitude from Gunbuster and Diebuster, and much of it's design from things like Mazinger, Getter, and older shows like that. The whole Choginga Dai-Gurren is a straight-up take on Captain Harlock.
  • So I've had thoughts of the show being somewhat childish at the beginning in trying to hurriedly lead the characters to get to the main juice of the show (the cool mech stuff!)
    How is that childish? Every show starts off getting to their main selling point in the first episode. If they don't, NOBODY IS GOING TO WATCH THE SECOND EPISODE. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a show about hot-blooded mecha fighting. So what do we get in the first episode? Hot-blooded Kamina and a small mecha fighting.
    Forgive me, I'm new to anime so I could be way off base, but is this show somewhat paying homage to old school anime? Like Planet Terror for Zombie movies, or Starship Troopers for military sci fi? If so, I think this show is brilliant!
    It does. Rym even mentioned that when he talked about the show on the podcast.
    Sorry, "childish" isn't the best description. I was thinking more of the way cartoons were made in the '80's (when I was a child). Perhaps, simplistic is more appropriate. Where the reasoning for a happening or character stance doesn't make sense, but takes place for the purpose of the story. I'm not sure if I'm still describing it the way I mean.

I'll have to check out the podcast on it. Didn't know they did one. Thanks!
  • Sorry, "childish" isn't the best description. I was thinking more of the way cartoons were made in the '80's (when I was a child). Perhaps, simplistic is more appropriate. Where the reasoning for a happening or character stance doesn't make sense, but takes place for the purpose of the story. I'm not sure if I'm still describing it the way I mean.
    I still have no clue what exactly you mean. So I'll repeat: That's what every piece of serialized media is. Gotta create that interest in the beginning if you want people to stick with it.
  • The show's tone matures and gets much darker as it progresses, but I agree that the early episodes felt very 'young'. The show's evolution into something much greater is what sucked me in.
  • The show's tone matures and gets much darker as it progresses, but I agree that the early episodes felt very 'young'. The show's evolution into something much greater is what sucked me in.
    Well, that's part of the show's "generational theory", that is, that each arc of the story represents a different generation of Mecha anime.

The first arc (Kamina's, if you go by who's quote each episode title is) is the 70's, where things were simplistic and easy to understand. You fought a monster every week, building up to a grand fight at the boss's base.
    The second arc (Nia's) is the 80's, where everything is mysterious, and the world is dark and fucked up and out to get you.
    The third arc (Rossiu's) is the 90's, were everything is mired in political stuff, and there's the world to consider (Think Evangelion or Gundam Wing). The fight can never happen without considering a thousand political ramifications.
    The final arc (Simon's) is the 00's, the post-Evangelion combination of the serious stuff of the 90's and the Fuck Monsters, Get Mecha attitude of the 70's, exemplified by things like GaiGaiGar's second half (It was 98. Close enough) and FINAL, as well as the recent remakes of Go Nagai's Mazinger (as Mazikaiser) and Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo (as GR: Armageddon, Shin vs. Neo, and New Getter).