This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann

12346»

Comments

• The show's tone matures and gets much darker as it progresses, but I agree that the early episodes felt very 'young'. The show's evolution into something much greater is what sucked me in.
    Well, that's part of the show's "generational theory", that is, that each arc of the story represents a different generation of Mecha anime.

The first arc (Kamina's, if you go by who's quote each episode title is) is the 70's, where things were simplistic and easy to understand. You fought a monster every week, building up to a grand fight at the boss's base.
    The second arc (Nia's) is the 80's, where everything is mysterious, and the world is dark and fucked up and out to get you.
    The third arc (Rossiu's) is the 90's, were everything is mired in political stuff, and there's the world to consider (Think Evangelion or Gundam Wing). The fight can never happen without considering a thousand political ramifications.
    The final arc (Simon's) is the 00's, the post-Evangelion combination of the serious stuff of the 90's and the Fuck Monsters, Get Mecha attitude of the 70's, exemplified by things like GaiGaiGar's second half (It was 98. Close enough) and FINAL, as well as the recent remakes of Go Nagai's Mazinger (as Mazikaiser) and Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo (as GR: Armageddon, Shin vs. Neo, and New Getter).
    Interesting! I'm now on episode 23. I can see what you mean about the progression.
  • I was going to make a post suggesting that, but I didn't want to get mired down in doing actual thought or research. :P
  • Wow, that show got deep! Just finished the series. AHHHHHHH-SOME!!
  • The show's tone matures and gets much darker as it progresses, but I agree that the early episodes felt very 'young'. The show's evolution into something much greater is what sucked me in.
    Well, that's part of the show's "generational theory", that is, that each arc of the story represents a different generation of Mecha anime.

The first arc (Kamina's, if you go by who's quote each episode title is) is the 70's, where things were simplistic and easy to understand. You fought a monster every week, building up to a grand fight at the boss's base.
    The second arc (Nia's) is the 80's, where everything is mysterious, and the world is dark and fucked up and out to get you.
    The third arc (Rossiu's) is the 90's, were everything is mired in political stuff, and there's the world to consider (Think Evangelion or Gundam Wing). The fight can never happen without considering a thousand political ramifications.
    The final arc (Simon's) is the 00's, the post-Evangelion combination of the serious stuff of the 90's and the Fuck Monsters, Get Mecha attitude of the 70's, exemplified by things like GaiGaiGar's second half (It was 98. Close enough) and FINAL, as well as the recent remakes of Go Nagai's Mazinger (as Mazikaiser) and Ken Ishikawa's Getter Robo (as GR: Armageddon, Shin vs. Neo, and New Getter).
    Nate. I gotta use this in my panel. Is that cool?

Nate. I gotta use this in my panel. Is that cool?
    Go for it. I stole it from 4chan anyway.