This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Podcast Review Segment

edited August 2007 in GeekNights
We're thinking about adding a new segment to the show where we do a 5 minute review of a podcast every Thursday, or most Thursdays. Do you guys want that? Do you have any ideas for the name of the segment?

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Make it a movie review, or maybe book review. Or just a review of any of the 3.

(Thanks for helping me with Ubuntu by the way.)
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
  • Sounds great, and I like the idea of movies/books, but you guys say you don't really watch that many movies... Books though, that'd be good. Even a book recommendation a week would be rad.

Give it a go for like a month, and see how it fares out.
  • Movies and Books we tend to review as whole shows in order to get our full opinions out.   Or, are you saying that you just want us to generally and briefly  review more total things?
    The idea here for this specific bit is to let you know succinctly what's worth listening to and what isn't out there.  One of the most common questions we get is "what podcasts do you listen to?" and this will nip that in the bud.
  • Hmm...  A weekly media recommendation segment.  Not a bad idea on top of the podcast thing.
  • I think a brief review of a movie or book you recently saw would be really cool, rather than a whole episode on it.
  • edited August 2007
    A podcast review would be cool; I really enjoyed the worst podcast episode, so in my opinion it would be a very enjoyable segment.  It might also help some of the other podcast hosts to get a clue. And as for the name of the segment, I really have no idea.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I say you guys should do this, it would be awesome. You could also do short segments on Wed. and Tues. You could do stuff on running anime clubs on Wed. in short bite-size sections. You could do something similar with possibly game theory or just tell short anecdotes on Tues.
  • Hmm... A weekly media recommendation segment. Not a bad idea on top of the podcast thing.

Especially if it's current media. What's new in the world and what should we be paying attention to?

Either way . . . I'd listen to it . . . unless it sucked. Haha.
  • Why not do it for Sunday night? See if you can get permission from the podcast in question to add a five minute bumper on the front end and a five minute bumper on the back end. That way you can give us the podcast with your opening and closing comments?
  • We're thinking about adding a new segment to the show where we do a 5 minute review of a podcast every Thursday, or most Thursdays. Do you guys want that? Do you have any ideas for the name of the segment?
    Sounds like a sweet idea, but, having listened to the show for quite a bit, I seriously doubt you guys would talk for only five minutes. But, then again, this will definitely help you guys pad out Thursday shows.
  • edited August 2007
    GeekNights: Now 5 Nights a week!

Edit: You know, the GeekNights Experimental Feed sure is lonely.
    Post edited by MitchyD on
  • Edit: You know, the GeekNights Experimental Feed sure is lonely.
    That's sort of the reason we made it a separate feed. There are absolutely no promises as to the schedule or quantity of content we will put there. I guarantee we haven't forgotten about it. At some points in the future it will be flooded. At other points, it will be barren.
  • Do you listen to enough podcasts to do that? Or maybe you're talking about individual episodes... Unless you're listening to that particular podcast as well I doubt it would be very informative. Well actually... if you're going to make fun of the bloopers of other podcasters it might not be so bad...
    I think it would be more interesting to hear reviews about podcasts as wholes but I understand that it would be a bit much to ask that you guys pick up a new podcast every week.
  • Reviewing or recommending a podcast or something similar sounds like a great idea. I could use that.
  • How bout' this for a segment name: "Your favorite podcast is a piece of crap"?

Anyways, go for it, dude. The more Geeknights, the better.
  • A podcast review sounds great. It would help me find something to fill the place where the back episodes of geeknights used to go.
  • I think it would be a great to have maybe a quick media review each week but have it rotate. One week do a podcast, then another week review a book, the week after that you could review a movie. Personally, some books don't need a full episode or there isn't enough notable content. Effectively you are taking things that could become specials/flashes and integrate them into an episode. Just please don't turn Thursdays into Anime World Order length episodes.
  • If you did it, I would listen to it. Honestly, if not, I wouldn't really care. How's that for a definitive answer?
  • Sounds like a great idea. Perhaps you could try to fit in one for each day? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is more than one podcast on technology, anime, games and whatever else.

Maybe you could call it "The Podcast Review Segment". You could have this bumper music going in that was like some random clip from the news (such as "stranded on the roof for hours") and then have some weird static before going into a short drum solo. Man, that's such a cool idea, I think you guys should do that before anyone else gets anything like it.
  • edited August 2007
    A weekly media review segment would be sweet. Not necessarily always a book/movie/podcast but just whatever caught your eye that week and seemed interesting to you.

Another nice detail would be to drop a quick line in the show forum post about whatever item you mention..I cant count the number of times I've thought...hmmm...Rym and Scott mentioned something about this but I don't even remember what podcast. I've listened to a few of them 2-3 times for this reason. (I've listened to thunderdome 4 times...my cousin and I got pretty into it...heh...great idea!)

Once One instance recently was me wanting to find the name of some tool Rym has from work that he was going to use to trace the cable in the house. A buddy mentioned something that sounds damn similar but he didnt know the name of the tool and for the life of me I can't find the right podcast...I dunno what happened to it.

---Edit...You missed that one now didn't you ;)
    Post edited by raquor on
  • Once instance recently was me wanting to find the name of some tool Rym has from work that he was going to use to trace the cable in the houseIt's called a "toner."  Fluke makes some pretty nice ones.