This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ubuntu Install Freezing

edited August 2007 in Technology
I've been trying install Ubuntu Desktop Edition, 7.04. It gets past the initial screen, then loads the live CD portion, but when attempting to install, it gets as far as opening the language setting, and then just freezes. My CD drive is clearly reading the disk, but the menu is frozen, and the mouse does move, but takes a while. Attempting to hit forward, doesn't really do anything, as I said, it's just frozen. I can imagine waiting for a while, but I left it for at least 2 hours.

The computer is rather old, but meets the minimum requirements of the install CD. It has 256MB of RAM, and a 1GHz Athlon processor. Is it normal for it to freeze up like this with such a little amount of RAM? Is it actually doing anything, or is it just stuck? Is there something I can do at the initial screen which will fix the freezing problem, or bypass the live CD part? Help would be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• The LiveCD may be bad, try burning another one. There is also a "check disc for errors" option at start-up, if I remember correctly. Try either of those.

If you feel the need for a more "processor light" version of Ubuntu, I highly recommend Xubuntu, but the regular version should be just fine.