This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• Gaalh? Euronymous and Dead from Mayhem are way more hardcore than Gaalh.
    Count Grishnackh is the most hardcore guy ever. Bar none.
  • OK, I have to fanboy it up for a moment.

OMG NEW METALLICA SONG OMG WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, I love it and am now eagerly awaiting the new album.
  • I <3 the new song, it's amazing.
  • Searching for new music and found some good stuff by The Human Abstract. However, it seems their lineup changed recently and their newest album blows.

• edited September 2008
    The new Metallica album is EPIC!
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • The new Metallica album is EPIC!
    Dude, did you find a torrent of the leak? I was looking yesterday. From what I've heard so far (the singles and such), it's badass.
    Dude, did you find a torrent of the leak? I was looking yesterday. From what I've heard so far (the singles and such), it's badass.
    It's all over the pirate bay now.
    It's all over the pirate bay now.
    Downloading right now. Am looking forward to having mind thoroughly blown.

Also, I found a quote from Lars about it:
    "Listen, we're ten days from release,? Ulrich said on The Woody Show on San Francisco radio station Live 105. ?I mean, from here, we're golden. If this thing leaks all over the world today or tomorrow, happy days. Happy days. Trust me. Ten days out and it hasn't quote-unquote fallen off the truck yet? Everybody's happy. It's 2008 and it's part of how it is these days, so it's fine. We're happy."
    They've got the right attitude.
  • They've got the right attitude.
    Yeah. It's a world apart from the "Napterbad" days.
  • They've got the right attitude.
    Yeah. It's a world apart from the "Napterbad" days.
    That was all during their most fractured period, really. I remember reading some other interviews that Lars gave over the years, saying that if he could go back, he'd do things differently. They've figured out how to actually deal with the whole Internet thing.
  • Comets on Fire are cool, and close enough to metal that I don't feel bad posting them here. Early, early metal, though, and psychedelic.

So I just took a walk and listened to the whole thing.

I came.

Am I the only one who listens to "Suicide and Redemption" and is reminded of "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group?
  • I love That Was Just Your Life, it's pretty much what ST. Anger should have been.
  • Am I the only one who listens to "Suicide and Redemption" and is reminded of "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group?
    Frankenstein is one of the best songs. Maybe I'll have to go give this Suicide and Redemption a listen.
  • Am I the only one who listens to "Suicide and Redemption" and is reminded of "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group?
    Frankenstein is one of the best songs. Maybe I'll have to go give this Suicide and Redemption a listen.
    Well, the songs aren't really similar, but something about SaR reminded me of "Frankenstein."

You should just get the whole album. It's all good. If you liked old (RtL, MoP) Metallica, you'll dig this.
  • It sucks that they are not coming anywhere near where I live.
  • I'm listening to Death Magnetic right now. They're not exactly stepping outside the box, but this album is very, very solid. I'm satisfied.
  • I'm listening to Death Magnetic right now. They're not exactly stepping outside the box, but this album is very, very solid. I'm satisfied.
    Well, they're going into different territory for them, certainly, and Metallica has stepped outside the box quite a bit in their career. This is really a revisiting of a bygone era; I get a very Kill 'em All/Ride the Lightning feel out of this album. Sort of like they're reinventing themselves from the ground up.
    Well, they're going into different territory forthem, certainly, and Metallica has stepped outside the box quite a bit in their career. This is really a revisiting of a bygone era; I get a veryKill 'em All/Ride the Lightningfeel out of this album. Sort of like they're reinventing themselves from the ground up.
    And they also took some of the good things they have obtained on the way, St. Anger can be seen in some of the tracks, even if he is hidden, it does not mean he can't be seen.
  • edited September 2008
    I'm listening to Death Magnetic right now. They're not exactly stepping outside the box, but this album is very, very solid. I'm satisfied.
    Well, they're going into different territory forthem, certainly, and Metallica has stepped outside the box quite a bit in their career. This is really a revisiting of a bygone era; I get a veryKill 'em All/Ride the Lightningfeel out of this album. Sort of like they're reinventing themselves from the ground up.
    And they also took some of the good things they have obtained on the way, St. Anger can be seen in some of the tracks, even if he is hidden, it does not mean he can't be seen.
    That was the thing they were doing in the St. Anger period: deconstructing themselves, and then building back up with what they did before and what they've learned along the way.

I'm interested to see if the trend of retracing themselves with a more mature sound will continue.

In any case, I'm at about 5 listens and still really digging it. Overall, I'd say "All Nightmare Long" is both the weakest track on the album (though it's still pretty good), and also the dumbest song title in existence.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
    That was the thing they were doing in the St. Anger period: deconstructing themselves, and then building back up with what they did before and what they've learned along the way.

I'm interested to see if the trend of retracing themselves with a more mature sound will continue.

In any case, I'm at about 5 listens and still really digging it. Overall, I'd say "All Nightmare Long" is both the weakest track on the album (though it's still pretty good), and also the dumbest song title in existence.
    Yeah, they were deconstructing themselves, and tried to put their pieces back together in a hurry, guess that they missed some snare pieces and the solo blocks.

I'm really digging Judas' Kiss and That Was Just Your Life.
  • Broken,Beaten and Scarred, Suicide and Redemption and The Day That Never Comes are my pick of the bunch so far.
  • Suicide is a good song, but The Day That Never Comes is not the best on the album, it's still solid, but not as good as the others.
  • edited September 2008
    Man, when I heard "My Apocalypse" I let out a sigh of relief. I'm so glad they've got they've got they're stuff together. Metallica turning into a nostalgia act or even worse breaking up would have been a real blow for metal.
    It's a shame though when discussing a Metallica album with fellow fans, even if they release a good or decent album it'll always be compared with "Ride the Lighting" or "Master of Puppets" and therefore most fans will always think of it as disappointing. [I also hope that that's just my personal experience]
    I'd love to see more people look at what it simply is, a great album.
    It's awesome to have them back :)
    Post edited by Volker on
  • edited September 2008
    Well it happens to all of us, we are compared with our best.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Man, when I heard "My Apocalypse" I let out a sigh of relief. I'm so glad they've got they've got they're stuff together. Metallica turning into a nostalgia act or even worse breaking up would have been a real blow for metal.
    It's a shame though when discussing a Metallica album with fellow fans, even if they release a good or decent album it'll always be compared with "Ride the Lighting" or "Master of Puppets" and therefore most fans will always think of it as disappointing. [I also hope that that's just my personal experience]
    I'd love to see more people look at what it simply is, a great album.
    It's awesome to have them back :)
    I was just having a conversation along these lines with some buddies of mine last night. I noticed that a few of the songs on the album have a bit of digital clipping in places, but it doesn't really detract from the overall sound too much. However, if you go on the Metallica forums, there are a fuckton of people losing their collective shit over digital clipping. One of my buddies pointed out that pretty much all hard rock and metal albums these days clip in some places, and if it were anybody BUT Metallica, nobody would care.

But it's Metallica, and if they don't do exactly what some fan wants them to do, then they're a bunch of washed-up sellouts. I've always maintained that they catch more shit than any other band because they're one of the best; if they were mediocre, nobody would care.

I'm also glad that they're not totally re-releasing MoP or RtL. One of the things that always made me like Metallica is that they don't just rehash old stuff blow-for-blow. If they do, they revisit the stuff with a different perspective. There are way too many bands out there that just find their thing and keep doing it forever (I'm looking at you, AC/DC). Love it or hate it, I've always liked that Metallica has been radically different from album to album.

On a totally different topic, I saw Carcass last night, on the first show of their reunion tour. I also saw Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Necrophagist, and 1349; Necrophagist was a disappointing live act, Suffocation was ridiculous, Dying Fetus was forgettable, and 1349 was bombastically epic. Carcass was also badass. I recommend this tour to any death metal fans out there.
  • I thought Necrophagist was alright when I saw them. What was so bad about the performance?
  • I thought Necrophagist was alright when I saw them. What was so bad about the performance?
    It was boring. They lacked any sort of passion. The best way to describe it is that they played; they did not perform. Don't get me wrong, I love the music, but their live performance is simply forgettable.
  • I would love to hear them jamming. Maybe it could yield some interesting results.
  • Anyone exited for the new Dream Theater DVD? Or Trivium's new CD? I though Down from the Sky was a pretty decent video.