This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• Anyone exited for the new Dream Theater DVD? Or Trivium's new CD? I though Down from the Sky was a pretty decent video.
    I'll obviously buy Chaos In Motion.
  • I would love to hear them jamming. Maybe it could yield some interesting results.
    If they jammed anything, it would've been cool. The way the concert went, I might as well have just listened to their CD's on mp3 player. No variation, no interesting takes on the music.

Suffocation was the best show there; those guys were ridiculous. The show was over-the-top in terms of intensity and showmanship.
  • I prefer when artist mess around with their songs, hearing the same takes of the same songs is always a detriment to the quality of the show, take Dream Theater for example, they play the songs accurately, but they add something new to it, extend the solo, play an sporadic cover,change instruments, this, sadly, is something that a lot of newer bands are lacking.
  • I'm not sure on the new Trivium, I heard "into the mouth of hell we march" and it just lacked something for me. However like the image of the new album and I'm sure there'll be other songs that really click with me so yes, I am waiting in some form of anticipation.
  • I prefer when artist mess around with their songs, hearing the same takes of the same songs is always a detriment to the quality of the show, take Dream Theater for example, they play the songs accurately, but they add something new to it, extend the solo, play an sporadic cover,change instruments, this, sadly, is something that a lot of newer bands are lacking.
    Aye. Too true. That's what really disappointed me about Necro; they're obviously very talented, but they didn't really do anything special.

On an unrelated note, Amon Amarth's newest album, Twilight of the Thunder God, has been leaked. It's a fantastic album and features, among a few other guest musicians, some contributions from Apocalyptica. Totally awesome.
    Aye. Too true. That's what really disappointed me about Necro; they're obviously very talented, but they didn't really do anything special.

On an unrelated note, Amon Amarth's newest album,Twilight of the Thunder God, has been leaked. It's a fantastic album and features, among a few other guest musicians, some contributions from Apocalyptica. Totally awesome.
    I'm currently downloading said album, any standout tracks?
  • "Live for the Kill" is the track featuring Apocalyptica, and it's quite good. I'm also a big fan of "Tattered Banners and Bloody Flags," "The Hero," and "Embrace of the Endless Ocean." Really, though, every track is good.
  • Wow, good album. Listening right now.

Is there any good blogs or websites that post when albums are leaked?
  • Wow, good album. Listening right now.

Is there any good blogs or websites that post when albums are leaked?
    Not that I know of. I usually just try to stay on top of release dates, and start browsing communities around that time to see if anyone's talking about leaks.
  • I would seriously start one if had the resources. But I don't.
  • How do you guys feel about the band Isis?
  • Celestial and Ocean are the only Isis I personally need....the rest of their stuff bores me.
  • This is the greatest music video I have ever seen in my entire life. I've embedded it here, but you should really go to vimeo to watch it in wide screen HD for the full effect.
  • Better than Thriller? Heresy! Wait a minute, zombie Stalin and barbarian Gorbachev? And a beach party? I think we do in fact have a winner!
  • That's fucking rad, but I'm certain it's been posted at least two times before in shitty youtube quality. Don't much care for the song, though.
  • That's fucking rad, but I'm certain it's been posted at least two times before in shitty youtube quality. Don't much care for the song, though.
    I think the music is pretty decent - sort of like a less technical and Russian version of Nevermore.

Can't stand the vocalist, though.

Video is made of win.
  • edited September 2008
    That's fucking rad, but I'm certain it's been posted at least two times before in shitty youtube quality. Don't much care for the song, though.
    I think the music is pretty decent - sort of like a less technical and Russian version of Nevermore.

Can't stand the vocalist, though.

Video is made of win.
    He is awful, in my opinion.

EDIT: is it me or do they take every chance they get to show cleavage? Not that I'm complaining though. XD
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited October 2008
    Serj Tankian's(formerly of System of a Down) solo release isn't bad, but I'm not sure if it belongs here. Whatever.

Post edited by Sail on
  • Good God that video is old. It's not bad...but I kind of grew out of Soad and Serj a long time ago.
  • edited October 2008
    Good God that video is old.
    Uhhh, a year? You don't think that music ages just a wee bit differently from the funny video of the moment on YouTube? That's pretty dumb to condemn this for being "old" when you look at the overall time scope of videos in this thread.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • It appears people use 'old' when they mean 'boring'. Either way, I still like SOAD and Serj, but Scars of Broadway is awful.
  • I just started listening to Mastodon, and I must say that I am liking it. I normally do not like screaming metal, but I like this band for some reason.
  • I can't wait until they release a new album. It's going to be fucking grand.
  • Mastodon is probably the best thing to happen to metal in recent years.
  • Mastodon is one of my favorites. You should see 'em live; it's a pretty intense show.
  • So I finally got a prog metal band together after so long, I'll probably post some songs on the forum. Keep your ears ready.
  • edited November 2008
    So I finally got a prog metal band together after so long, I'll probably post some songs on the forum. Keep your ears ready.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • So how does one train their ears to be able to understand what screaming metal bands are saying? I am still quite new to the metal scene, so bear with me.
  • So how does one train their ears to be able to understand what screaming metal bands are saying? I am still quite new to the metal scene, so bear with me.
    Listen carefully, and read written lyrics. Try to match up certain vocal sounds with other similar vocal sounds. It really just takes time. Think of it like learning another language.
    Listen carefully, and read written lyrics. Try to match up certain vocal sounds with other similar vocal sounds. It really just takes time. Think of it like learning another language.
    I would totally be a native speaker of metal, the most br00tal language in the planet. XD