This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• edited November 2008
    Post edited by Sail on
  • That has to be the coolest dog ever. XD
  • I find this to be strangely accurate and thus even funnier.
  • edited November 2008
    Not really, the flash had it's moments, but it's not the best Strongbad email.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited November 2008
    Not really, the flash had it's moments, but it's not the best Strongbad email.
    I didn't say that it was the best sbemail, just that I felt that a lot of death metal sounds/looks like that. A few of my best friends listen to almost nothing but stuff like Cephalic Carnage, Job For A Cowboy, and Dying Fetus; while I don't think it's bad music, it does occasionally sound like that to me. I've always been more of a Strapping Young Lad fellow, myself:

EDIT: Also, if you thought I meant funnier than the dog video, I hadn't watched it, so consider my post a non-sequitur. I make no claims to superior humor.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I've always been more of a Strapping Young Lad fellow, myself
    Anyone who likes SYL is alright in my book.
  • I've always been more of a Strapping Young Lad fellow, myself
    Anyone who likes SYL is alright in my book.
    Likewise, sir.

Best metal album of 2008.

• You know, while I'm not really a big fan of drone stuff, that was actually pretty fucking cool. There's enough of a doom metal element to keep it interesting for me.

However, there are two stronger contenders for best metal album of 2008. It's either this:

Or this:

• Have you listened to the new Boris album, Smile?

• Watershed Is my pick, hands down. But mostly because I fucking love Opeth.
  • I'm listening to Rainbow by Boris for the second time today. This album is sweet.
  • edited November 2008
    I'd never listened to Opeth before, is all their stuff like that album? That guy has some amazing vocal talent if he's able to sing like that AND death grunt. Usually learning grunts destroys the vocal cords. Amon Amarth is pretty awesome also. I'll have to check out more of them too.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2008
    I'd never listened to Opeth before, is all their stuff like that album? That guy has some amazing vocal talent if he's able to sing like that AND death grunt. Usually learning grunts destroys the vocal cords. Amon Amarth is pretty awesome also. I'll have to check out more of them too.
    Opeth is AMAZING. Yes, all of their albums are like that; they combine harmonic elements with death metal to make mind-blowingly awesome music.

Also, death grunting only destroys your vocal cords if you do it wrong. If you learn to do it properly, it won't do much lasting damage. The secret to extreme vocals is that they need a microphone; usually, you concentrate on making the proper sound at a volume that won't kill you, and then amp it up the rest of the way.

EDIT: FYI, the guy from Opeth is Mikael Akerfeldt. Here's a song by Ihsahn featuring him on vocals. You may dig it.

EDIT THE SECOND: Actually, y'know what, on further consideration, I submit angL from Ihsahn as a contender for best metal album of 2008. For evidence, listen to the above song.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited November 2008
    angLfrom Ihsahn
    I'll grab that one too.

As far as metal this year, my favorites have been Machinae Supremacy's Overworld and Torche's Meanderthal, the latter of which there aren't really any good videos of. But check it out anyway.

Edge and Pearl - Machinae Supremacy

Healer - Torche
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2008
    Have you guys heard of Pyha? He's a Korean kid and he made this abrasive as hell drone/doom record called The Haunted House while he was in the eighth grade. It's crazy.

A song.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Help me, guys. I have a problem. (That's step one, right?) So many times I hear a new song, and really like it, and then the guy starts singing. I love the way the musics sound, but I just can't enjoy that growl, for lack of a better term. For reference, WhaleShark's videos of Amon Amarth and Opeth above are excellent examples. The Opeth one has some promise, contrast the singing at 2:25 (good) to 2:33 (bad). What should I do?

I know, I'm not metal. v_v
  • Help me, guys. I have a problem. (That's step one, right?) So many times I hear a new song, and really like it, and then the guy starts singing. I love the way the musics sound, but I just can't enjoy that growl, for lack of a better term. For reference, WhaleShark's videos of Amon Amarth and Opeth above are excellent examples. The Opeth one has some promise, contrast the singing at 2:25 (good) to 2:33 (bad). What should I do?

I know, I'm not metal. v_v
    Find purely instrumental death metal. No examples presently come to mind, though.
  • edited November 2008
    Is it just death metal you're asking about? Because, if not, there are tons of metal bands that don't use harsh vocals. Bands like Metallica, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, and Machinae Supremacy, just to throw out some names.

Post edited by Sail on
  • edited November 2008
    Is it just death metal you're asking about? Because, if not, there are tons of metal bands that don't use harsh vocals.
    See, I don't know. I've never heard a death metal song I liked.

Edit: LOL, I didn't see your edited post, and went looking for an example of something I liked. I thought of using Metallica, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, and Machinae Supremacy at various points.
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • edited November 2008
    On the subject of instrumental metal, Pelican is pretty good.

Post edited by Sail on
  • Pelican is great. They represent Chicago well. However, I opine that Indian is the most skullfuckingly brutal group to emerge from my city in a long time:

Better audio streamed on their MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/indiandoom
  • Is it just death metal you're asking about? Because, if not, there are tons of metal bands that don't use harsh vocals.
    See, I don't know. I've never heard a death metal song I liked.

Edit: LOL, I didn't see your edited post, and went looking for an example of something I liked. I thought of using Metallica, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, and Machinae Supremacy at various points.
    All of power metal and its associated subgenres use clean vocals. You could also try checking out some progressive extreme metal (Opeth is progressive death metal), as many of them utilize clean vocals in addition to extreme vocals.

The thing with extreme vocals is that, while I don't really like to admit it, you really have to want to like it. You have to "get" death metal and black metal in order to really enjoy them, and that means that you have to actively acclimate yourself to the vocal style. Generally, most people find a lot of good stuff in there once they do. Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth uses the death grunt to contrast his clean singing, and writes music around that, creating a very "beauty and the beast" sort of sound. Johann Hegg of Amon Amarth puts a lot of emotion into his death grunt, and helps to create the overall sound of the band, taking the music from a mourning, sorrowful low to a celebratory high, simply using the power of his voice.

But, as I said, you have to get past the hurdle of actually listening to the growl first. It's not for everyone, and if you don't like it, you can still be plenty metal. If you're interested in getting into the death grunt kind of music, I'd recommend starting with any of the bands you've heard that you've liked (Opeth and Amon Amarth, as I've said, are particularly good applications of the grunt), or Cradle of Filth. CoF's album Midian released back in 2000 was my personal gateway drug. The first time I heard that album, I thought, "Is this supposed to be good? Is he trying to sound like that?" My curiosity was piqued, and as I kept listening, I eventually just "got" it and was hooked.
  • edited November 2008
    Mastodon was what got me learn to like them. I listened to Blood Mountain and then Leviathan and the music was just so good that there was no way I could not listen to them just because I didn't like some of the vocals at the time. They're easily my favorite metal band now. They also use clean vocals in addition, so I think they're a good stepping stone too.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Cookie Monster vocals aren't for everybody. I guess. There is plenty of metal without that style of vocals though. I would recommend Nevermore and The Sword for recent metal that is awesome, and also doesn't have Mr. Growly-Voice singing. You can always just listen to the kings of metal, Slayer, for aggressive vocals that aren't quite growly.

I agree that Opeth is great. Blackwater Park is far and away my favorite album of theirs.
  • edited November 2008
    I love death grunts and such, but I hate it when they overuse pig squeals, it's annoying when overused. I'm looking at you metalcore, you're the main offender.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Gaahl from Gorgoroth is, in fact, gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I do give him a lot of credit for just being out about it. I can imagine that the fringes of the black metal scene are full of right-wing gay haters, so this could make him an object of (even more) dislike.

I'll be interested to hear if his falling in love will alter the album that they're writing now.
  • Gaahl from Gorgoroth is, in fact, gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I do give him a lot of credit for just being out about it. I can imagine that the fringes of the black metal scene are full of right-wing gay haters, so this could make him an object of (even more) dislike.

I'll be interested to hear if his falling in love will alter the album that they're writing now.
    I would have never thought, but I totally agree with everything you said.
  • I never had any anti gay sentiments, they don't interfere with my life, and I won't. I don't know why people are so stupid about it.
  • Yeah, and as staunch about freedom (and other things) as most people in the black metal "scene" are, I would be somewhat surprised if something like Gaahl being gay being a problem.