This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070806 - Packet Sniffing

RymRym
edited August 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the various technology and concepts surrounding network packet capturing. In the news, MSN secretly censors, and Lenovo/Novell offer decent Linux laptops.
Scott's Thing - Digg circa 1997

Rym's Thing - Om Nom Nom

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Packet Sniffing!?

Edit: (/green font)
    Post edited by Sail on
  • WireShark
  • Regarding MSN... A lot of NON American folk use it... Not a lot of Canadians use AIM unless you're on Trillian, but in Canada and I believe the UK use MSN primarily.
  • edited August 2007
    For the content of Rym's thing of the day, apparently it was the Mexican government armed forces who took the video sighting and was actually calling on the US government to support them on their assumption. It was even on the Associated Press, *sigh*
    05/11/04 - Associated Press

MEXICO CITY - Mexican Air Force pilots filmed 11 unidentified flying objects in the skies over southern Campeche state, a Defense Department spokesman confirmed Tuesday.

A videotape made widely available to the news media on Tuesday shows the bright objects, some sharp points of light and others like large headlights, moving rapidly in what appears to be a late-evening sky.

The lights were filmed on March 5 by pilots using infrared equipment. They appeared to be flying at an altitude of about 3,500 meters (11,480 feet), and allegedly surrounded the Air Force jet as it conducted routine anti-drug trafficking vigilance in Campeche. Only three of the objects showed up on the plane's radar.
    So it was most likely on other news channels and in newspapers. Great, the old media is crazy and isn't reliable... wait, I already knew that.

I laughed seeing the number of Diggs for "Why the axe in Quake is the best weapon ever" :p

And for the MSN thing, it's one of the most popular IM clients in Japan.
    Post edited by Corbin on
  • edited August 2007
    MSN is actually pretty big. I have a shit ton of friends from another forum who use it exclusively.
    If I recall correctly, the least-used IM service is probably Yahoo.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • the least-used IM service is probably Yahoo.

And with good reason :\
  • I have British friends whom I can only ever get a hold of through MSN.
  • My business uses iChat (AIM) for intra- and inter-office communications. Therefore, AIM is my weapon of choice. JHawk0109 at your disposal.
  • Practically all the European crowd use MSN. It's yet another manifestation of the prisoner's dilemma; if you don't use the crappy software, you can't talk to anybody.
  • Practically all the European crowd use MSN. It's yet another manifestation of the prisoner's dilemma; if you don't use the crappy software, you can't talk to anybody.
    You could always use Trillian or, my favorite, Pidgin.
  • Trillian can die in a fire. Go for Pidgin.
  • Why is MSN so terrible anyway? *Preparing to be shouted at*
  • Why is MSN so terrible anyway? *Preparing to be shouted at*
    Did you um, listen to the show?
  • @ Apreche

Hehe yes, far too much. With 352 shows though, some of the barrage of interesting information passes me by.
  • MSN is pretty much for all non US people, it seems. All the non US people I know seem to use it.

But I sort of like MSN since there is a drawing/writing functionality, where you can draw stuff back and forth with someone.
  • I mainly use MSN (web messenger version) because that's the ONLY IM client other than googlechat that works. Not enough people I know use google, which is sad, however I just use MSN to communicate with certain people and to keep myself entertained. Other than that, I rarely chat online or use any IM clients. When I'm at home, I'm barely at my computer.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2007
    I switched from ICQ to AIM when I went to uni, despite my utter dislike of AIM, due solely to the fact that most of the people there seemed to use it.  Now, being older and more patient than I used to be, I will no longer suffer a service I dislike solely due to the decisions of my friends. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited August 2007
    I switched from ICQ to AIM when I went to uni, despite my utter dislike of AIM, due solely to the fact that most of the people there seemed to use it.
    I had the same experience, and really regretted it. I don't know if it was simply because ICQ was the first messenger I used, but I was quite attached to it. Everyone seemed to migrate away from it at college, though. I haven't met anyone in years who has used ICQ -- with the exception of my wife's workplace (a public school), which uses it for communication between teachers.
    to uni
    Somebody's been listening to those Albions over at Movies You Should See again, eh?
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited August 2007
    I spoke to people who I went to highschool with as well. ... One of them is working in a factory making sweets. ... Two of them are going into the police force. ... and One of them is starting a phd in Genetics. ...
    Guess which of them I actually talked to directly.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • In the news,MSN secretly censors,
    Just so everyone knows, I tried this out the other day with a friend. It's not secret at all if you use Pidgin. It will tell you straight up that the message wasn't sent. The official MSN client, however, doesn't tell you shit.