This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070807 - FPS Key Bindings

2»

Comments

• The first computer I played Doom on was my friend's 286 which ran MS-DOS and had a two button ball mouse
    Minimum requirements for Doom were 486 66 mhz, I'm pretty sure. What the hell kind of 286 would run it? That must have been one motherfucking beast :D

I remember begging my parents to buy a 386 so I could play Wolfenstein. They laughed. I eventually jumped from the 286 to a 486 75mhz and then to Pentium (the 486 was a laptop, which I actually kept through college).
  • Scott's rant about new keyboards came out sounding very, very "get off my lawn"...but he's 100% right. Those keyboards can all die in a fire, along with all those goddamn kids!

I feel Rym's (paraphrased) assertion that, "since there are situations in which you must use an inverted mouse, but few in which you cannot, using it consistently will develop better muscle memory" is flawed; unless, of course, he also uses an inverted mouse in his window manager. I do not use an inverted mouse in any situation, and find that in desktop computing and in FPS games, mouse movement is basically an ideomotor effect; my desire to frag your ass drives my mouse unconsciously.
  • Wasn't there a Doom game for a Nintendo console for a while? Did anyone here play it?
  • clxclx
    edited August 2007
    I have been listening to Geek Nights for a few months now, and this is the first episode that has made me want to register on the website so I can post.

Firstly the main show, I liked the topic, it did go on a little long, but not so much that I was bored. I strongly agree about your statements regarding Console Vs PC controls, I heard a something a while ago, where Microsoft were testing PC vs 360 Halo2, and people were saying PC controls were "nurfed" so that they were on the same par as Console controls, however, I don't have any sources to back this up so believe of that what you will.

Secondly, the "Special" show... I loled at that... and I loled hard. It was so funny to hear you both arguing like an old married couple (Rym was clearly the wife) and the show contained the BEST excuse ever "hahaha.... smilin' "

Oh and thirdly, who ever it was that coughed up and spat during the show, i don't remember what time it was, but yuck

Anyway, good show.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited August 2007

oh and thirdly, who ever it was that coughed up and spat during the show, i don't remember what time it was, but yuck
    That's Rym. He has a problem he refuses to do anything about. He'll continue to argue that he is super perfect healthy, yet when we go to Otakon he gets the otaflu and can't talk for a week. Meanwhile, I'm just fine and haven't had a problem. I think we should just surgically remove his sinuses and larynx, that should fix everything.
    Post edited by Apreche on

• oh and thirdly, who ever it was that coughed up and spat during the show, i don't remember what time it was, but yuck
    That's Rym. He has a problem he refuses to do anything about. He'll continue to argue that he is super perfect healthy, yet when we go to Otakon he gets the otaflu and can't talk for a week. Meanwhile, I'm just fine and haven't had a problem. I think we should just surgically remove his sinuses and larynx, that should fix everything.
    I think there is a gay joke hiding in there somewhere... something to do with coughing and throats...
  • Just ask any "serious" console gamer. They are all delusional.

I play a LOT of fucking games on console - working afternoon/nights leaves me little time to see people, and I play my 360 a TON. I love playing with a controller, and any PC game I'll ever play again I will use a 360 pad, but I will never, ever deny that the mouse is superior. I can NOT use a mouse and keyboard after so many years of consoles... Something like an RTS however, fuck that... Have you played that Lord of the Rings game? I want a 360 Mouse/Keyboard. Oh yeah, and Rym, you're waiting for the day to play 360 users on a PC - Play some Shadowrun :) It's pretty fun... But you "need" Vista.

Ah, well. If you and/or Scott pick up Unreal 3, we'll put it to the test since the PS3 is cross-platform with it.
  • You could be right, certainly fits in with my views of the last show "Rym was clearly the Wife"... But I'm to new to this forum to post such accusations, so I will leave that to you :)

Anyway, even though Rym seems to have quite formidable debating skills, poor health shouldn't be one you fight too strongly against, tends to make other people feel awkward when they turn up to your funeral to say "I told you so"
  • clxclx
    edited August 2007

I play a LOT of fucking games on console - working afternoon/nights leaves me little time to see people, and I play my 360 a TON. I love playing with a controller, and any PC game I'll ever play again I will use a 360 pad, but I will never, ever deny that the mouse is superior. I can NOT use a mouse and keyboard after so many years of consoles... Something like an RTS however, fuck that... Have you played that Lord of the Rings game? I want a 360 Mouse/Keyboard. Oh yeah, and Rym, you're waiting for the day to play 360 users on a PC - Play some Shadowrun :) It's pretty fun... But you "need" Vista.Ah, well. If you and/or Scott pick up Unreal 3, we'll put it to the test since the PS3 is cross-platform with it.
    I have played shadow run, and I must say the controls on the pc are APPALLING, they are sluggish, inaccurate and from what I remember (having not played it in a few weeks), there is not much room for customization. Just looking around feels big, heavy and cumbersome. There is no way you could play the game and feel they were an accurate depiction of any other FPS for the pc, they have clearly been altered so that the pc users do not have an advantage over xbox owners.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Play some Shadowrun :) It's pretty fun... But you "need" Vista.
    The Shadowrun controls are nerfed for the consoles so they have a chance, they all get aim assistance(auto-aim).
  • edited August 2007
    Wasn't there a Doom game for a Nintendo console for a while? Did anyone here play it?
    Yes, there was. Doom 64. And I doubt anyone did.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Decent was an awesome game :P
  • There was also Doom on SNES and Doom 2 on GBA.
  • Doom was irrelevant by the time the N64 came out. There was also a Duke Nukem 3D port for that platform, which was hideously broken - except for the four-player death match option. Even that was overshadowed by four-player action on Goldeneye -- which, when I was in college, was the undisputed dorm room champion. Between that and Tekken 3, my freshman year disappeared in a multiplayer haze.
  • Rym, you have a weird, bizarre system for your keys. It intrigues me. I must try it.
  • Rym, you have a weird, bizarre system for your keys. It intrigues me. I must try it.
    Be warned: it is not for the faint of heart.  You must unlearn ancient habits.  You must remove meaning from the letters beneath your fingers.  It is a difficult path.
  • I just listened to this old episode and I'm glad I did. I've never done any serious FPS playing to the same extent as Rym or Scott, mainly old Doom (can't remember what version) then LAN play on Duke Nukem multiplayer, which is where I've spent most FPS time, then Unreal Tournament as it was what most friends played online, then some Half Life single player.

Anyway, two points:

1. I always used my right mouse button for running forward and my friends always thought this was weird. As I've never played that much outside of my old group of friends I didn't know if it was common or not, but didn't really think about it until this episode. Over the years I tried out other things like having the left and right mouse buttons as strafe let and right, but that meant I didn't have the "click on the head" feeling. So with run forward as right click I could have my left hand as (from little finger to thumb) duck, strafe left, back, strafe right, jump. This was really handy for duck-jumping as I never had to move my finger from a key for any movement; handy for Half Life action.

But unlike Rym I right click with my middle finger, not my ring finger. For some reason I never thought I'd need to change weapon (with the scroll wheel) and fire at the same time.

2. When playing Goldeneye (I would say "and other console FPS games" but that is the only one I've ever played) I used reverse control stick, so pulling back on the stick points the gun up. However, when using a mouse, up is up. For me it comes down to where the pivot point is (or where the back of my brain tells me it is). With a control stick, I imagine I am controlling the arm, so the control is behind the wrist. With a mouse my brain tells me I'm not controlling the arm, but rather where I am looking, and then I shoot where I am looking, so the control is in front of the wrist.

Finally, with Goldeneye single player and two person multiplayer I typically used two control pads, one in each hand. Right hand did the aiming, left had did the moving... not sure what the other controls were. I just remember the controls being surprisingly customisable for a console.
  • I agree, Rym's binds sound extremely confusing but also very interesting. I think it would be amazing to play a round of CS:S with Scrym.
  • I normally use pretty standard FPS binds except that I put duck on R and Reload on V and I use middle, ring, pinky for strafing rather than index, middle, ring finger.
  • I agree, Rym's binds sound extremely confusing but also very interesting.
    Then you don't agree with me, as I found them not confusing... but admittedly interesting.
    I think it would be amazing to play a round of CS:S with Scrym.
    For me it would be amazingly sucky for all involved. I'd by dead all the time and they would be bored all the time.
  • You could just mix teams. Play a few rounds then take the scoreboard and put even players on one team an odd players on the other.

I like having the weapon select key on the Tab, Caps and Shift and T and G on the other side. Apart from that, standard WASD layout.
  • edited August 2008
    For me it would be amazingly sucky for all involved. I'd by dead all the time and they would be bored all the time.
    True, but just once, to say I did it. ^_^
    Post edited by Loganator456 on