This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070809 - How to Not Suck at Slacking Off

2»

Comments

• Haha... I watched Track-Shun and I have yet to see a really GOOD Anime video podcast.

SHUN.
    He was better before he took on the sponsor.
    What episode did that happen? I'll watch one of the pre-sponsor episodes.
  • edited August 2007
    Watch Episode 25. It was the last one I watched before I gave up.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I never said he was particularly good, just that he was "better" before he took on the sponsor.
  • sK0pe for the most part it is the same here in Canada as far as schooling goes. In fact, many teachers have admitted to applying for teaching positions in the U.S.A. and were turned down for being overqualified.
  • I agree that I had reached that stage where the teacher would believe anything I said because I worked my ass off and displaying an unmatched work ethic, but to get to this point I had already mastered 80% of the curriculum half way through senior year.
    Exactly. By the time you've made the minimum effort, you might as well go the whole way. For all the work you've had to do already, the risk of losing a significant chunk from "walking the thin line" is no longer worth the time you might save.

Funnily enough, a lot of the Americans I've encountered at uni aren't properly equipped to deal with the concept of failure. YES, you WILL be failed if you do not reach the minimum requirements. No, we are not going to dumb down the course because you have trouble with weak proofs implying strong ones, rather than vice versa like the english terms imply. Deal with it. >:|
  • WatchEpisode 25. It was the last one I watched before I gave up.
    I couldn't get past episode 3. >.>
  • I watch Track-shun when I would go to the gym but now I might just stop. I watched RAY the Animation which he shunned. I thought it was a good idea for an anime. A doctor with x-ray eye and is fast at doing surgery. Who would not want a doctor like that operating on you? At least there would be no screw ups on the table. it a 13 episode anime and it has more then that as a plot but I thought it was good. So just might remove it from my playlist. I only on episode 20 of Track-shun anyways and he is kind of dull.
  • There was a 50 seat limit to get into the Veterinary course and you had to be in the top 1.4% of the state to quaify plus you had to have done the most difficult subjects - Calculus, Applied Maths, Chemistry, Physics or Biology
    That's a good counterexample to the "grades don't matter" idea. Even if you don't want to get into Harvard, there are many disciplines that use grades as a culling factor for admission, then use grades as a culling factor to kick people out once they're in, and finally use grades as a factor once people begin looking for jobs. Do you want to go to med school? Even if you go to a middle of the road med school like University of Kentucky, they're not gonna let you in if you don't have the grades. If they do let you in and your grades slip, they'll kick you out. If you manage to survive to graduation, your grades will play a role in which placements are open to you.

Besides that, the work you do in studying will give you insights that you might not normally have. If you rely on your interests alone to further your education, you might end up thinking that the Roman army should have paid more attention to Medieval strategy and tactics.

You said it on the show, and I think you should be always extremely clear to state that slacking off is not for everyone, just as when Scott talked about the football player that didn't take notes because Scott didn't.
  • I agree with you 100% hungryjoe. If you can't accomplish your goals and still manage to slack off, then you shouldn't slack off.
  • edited August 2007
    You guys are dead wrong on the issue of capital gains. The guy who caught the ball does not owe any tax until he realizes a gain on the ball (sells it). Capital Gains only comes into effect when you realize a gain on something.

This is why no one ever buys stock via a stock option deal. You ALWAYS take the money. If you opt to buy the stock you have to pay capital gains when you buy the stock based on the difference in the option price and the stocks actual price. If the stock later depreciates in value you take a loss on it.

Back to the ball. That ball is only worth about $10, the price of buying the same ball in a sporting goods store. If he can find someone willing to pay more and does sell it then (and only then) does he pay tax on it. The ball is not a "gift" from Barry Bonds to the guy who caught it. Even if it were a gift their is a $10K (might have gone up recently) exemption allowed in regards to gifts. Since the ball is only worth what was paid to attain it it is not worth more than $10K.

If you took this misguided logic a little bit further no restaurant could ever afford to cater to celebrities. I'm sure you know how much money some weirdos will pay for a napkin used by Britney Spears just think how much they would value a whole dinner set that fed a former president!
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • You guys are dead wrong on the issue of capital gains. The guy who caught the ball does not owe any tax until he realizes a gain on the ball (sells it). Capital Gains only comes into effect when you realize a gain on something.
    I barely know anything about taxes. Everything I said was based on the link. I didn't realize the Ludwig von Mises Institute was untrustworthy.
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah, that's obviously one of those kook conspiracy sites . . .
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited August 2007
    In defense of track-shun... I only watch it for the fan sub goodness.

In the early days the clips were not subbed, they were straight rips from his slingbox system in Japan.

As for his lame commentary, do you really care what he says? He said GunXSword was just another big robot show but it is not. The big robots are secondary to the plot of the show. If anything those robots are there to fool the robot crowd into watching the show.

I still get the show but not for him or the jlist ads, I get it to preview new anime from Japan.

The host is also retired Navy (living on a pension) so $500 per ep is a very sweet deal for him. He has a large house in the middle of no where (some southern low tax area) so I'm sure he's set.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • You guys are dead wrong on the issue of capital gains. The guy who caught the ball does not owe any tax until he realizes a gain on the ball (sells it). Capital Gains only comes into effect when you realize a gain on something.

This is why no one ever buys stock via a stock option deal. You ALWAYS take the money. If you opt to buy the stock you have to pay capital gains when you buy the stock based on the difference in the option price and the stocks actual price. If the stock later depreciates in value you take a loss on it.

Back to the ball. That ball is only worth about $10, the price of buying the same ball in a sporting goods store. If he can find someone willing to pay more and does sell it then (and only then) does he pay tax on it. The ball is not a "gift" from Barry Bonds to the guy who caught it. Even if it were a gift their is a $10K (might have gone up recently) exemption allowed in regards to gifts. Since the ball is only worth what was paid to attain it it is not worth more than $10K.

If you took this misguided logic a little bit further no restaurant could ever afford to cater to celebrities. I'm sure you know how much money some weirdos will pay for a napkin used by Britney Spears just think how much they would value a whole dinner set that fed a former president!
    Since you're interested in the credibility of sources, maybe you can give a source to support your argument and tell us why the Ludwig von Mises Institute is so completely wrong. Is it one of those "lib" sites that are automatically wrong?