This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Athlon XP2400+ unlocking troubles / weirdness

edited August 2007 in Technology
I recently figured my November-2002 PC (with some changes, most notably the GPU) was getting too old.
So, because I have an Athlon XP2400+ and Athlons have been known to be very overclockable, I figured I'd give that a try. I remembered having to unlock it first, and I found two methods: the "connect two pins"-method and the "connect the L1-bridges"-method.
I decided to go with the L1-approach, where the graphite of a pencil was supposed to be enough to reconnect the bridges. However, the XP2400+ is supposed to have a laser-etched hole in between the L1's to prevent it from being that easy.
Mine didn't.
So I just connected the L1-bridges and put it back in (and I am very sure I did nothing wrong with the thermal paste).
After that, the PC would come on, but the monitor just didn't turn on. I tried using the DVI-Port of my graphics card (with an adapter ^^) instead of the VGA one, but that resulted in the PC giving me the POST-beep-code for "No DRAM detected".
So I started digging around for an old graphics card, found a PCI one, discarded that, found an AGP one and tried that. Same thing. I have yet to put _my_ card in another machine to fully verify my theory, but I think the graphics card is fine.

From what I read, the problem could either have to do something with the "unlocking" or with the Athlon CPUs being extremely touchy when it comes to putting on the heatsink. I have removed and replaced the heat sink before, though, in a much less professional manner without any damage whatsoever.

And, to make matters worse, I just read a forum post suggesting that the 2-pin-approach is just a workaround for older mainboards that couldn't deal with the multipliers being 5-bit instead of 4-bit.

Does anyone have a clue what happened there?

PS: I figured my setup would be useful:
Asus A7V8X Mainboard (a weird OEM edition that doesn't have some of the features, though)
GeForce FX 5900XT GPU (on a card made by Leadtek)
Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun sound card
Some Arctic Cooling CPU Heatsink (I think Copper Silent S2L or sthg... it has blue LEDs and 3 speeds to pick)
2x256MB of RAM
+ various drives (HDD, DVD, CD-RW, Floppy)

Comments

• You tried to overclock, and you got burned.
  • No, I didn't, that's the problem. I tried to unlock, which is not overclocking anything at all.
    The only thing I did was make 4 strokes with a pencil, and honestly, I just wanted to know if I really do have to take off the heat sink again and all that and erase those lines or if it's something else, OR if my CPU is 100% guaranteed toast and I don't even need to try.
  • No, I didn't, that's the problem. I tried tounlock, which is not overclocking anything at all.
    The only thing I did was make 4 strokes with a pencil, and honestly, I just wanted to know if I really do have to take off the heat sink again and all that and erase those lines or if it's something else, OR if my CPU is 100% guaranteed toast and I don't even need to try.
    The point is that you took a huge risk messing around, and you lost. You might as well try whatever you can to fix it, since it can't possibly get any worse.