This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Libsyn: would you reccomend it?

edited August 2007 in Technology
I currently use Podomatic to host my podcast and whatnot. I pay $10 for 100GB bandwidth and a paltry 2 GB space. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I'm at around 1.6 gigs with my stuff. I really hate deleting stuff that people are still listening to (my early episodes, people are still picking them up, boggles the mind), so I've just become really crazy with my compression, but that won't last much longer. I've asked, but it doesn't seem like they'll be raising the storage ceiling anytime soon. So I'm considering jumping ship. I think in an episode of Geeknights you guys mentioned using Libsyn, so I thought I'd ask here. Here's what I'm thinking so far...

Pros:
-more for the $10
-storage is never a real problem again

Cons:
-risk alienating listeners (since I wasn't smart enough to run the show through Feedburner, oops)

Should I go for it?

Comments

• I was in the exact same boat. No, really. I was also using Podomatic(except not paying for it). I also decided I wanted to switch to Libsyn.

Here's what I did. I posted a thread in the forums asking how I could add a redirect tag into my feed. The first post was by an admin, and he asked for the feed I wanted it redirected to. He added the tag and said that it will stay there as long as I never try to upload another episode onto Podomatic.

Podomatic has grown a bit since then, so it may be more difficult to have this done. But it's worth a shot, eh?
  • The tag's still there, right? Well that sounds perfect.
  • Libsyn is pretty fantastic.  Infinite bandwidth and full permanent archives are quite nice.  I can't recommend anything better.
    If you want to make the jump, it would probably be worth it to keep both the old system and the new system in place for a month or two.
    More importantly, burn your current feed with Feedburner NOW.  You'll now have two valid feeds for your show: your current one and the Feedburner one.  For about a month, tell your listners in every show to start using the new URL for their subscription.  Watch the stats to make sure they mostly move.
    Then, get Libsyn.  Get a bigger account than you need.  Upload, say, the ten or fifteen previous episodes, putting them in the new Libsyn site.  Once that's done, point the Feedburner to the new feed.  Everyone subscribed will just see the new episodes from that point on, plus a buffer of the ten to fifteen older episodes.
    After all that, upload one last episode to the old site only.  In that episode, do nothing but explain the move and how to switch to the new site/feed.  Put a redirect in place of your old site pointing at your new site.  Keep the old one up in that fashion for another month or two, then shut it down.
    You'll retain the vast majority of your listeners that way.
    If you want to go one step further, get a much bigger Libsyn account than you need.  In addition to doing the new episodes, start uploading all of your archives to the libsyn and publishing them with dates in the past.  Maybe, put an "Old Archive" tag on them and make a seperate Feedburner feed for those.  You have a lot of options.
  • Okay, set up the Feedburner. Should I try to get Apple to change the feed they use for my show on iTunes?
  • Okay, set up the Feedburner. Should I try to get Apple to change the feed they use for my show on iTunes?
    Yes, you want everyone to use your Feedburner feed.
  • edited August 2007
    Is Libsyn only for podcasts? I'm going to be starting my webcomic this coming school year, and I was wondering if I could use Libsyn for it.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Is Lipsyn only for podcasts? I'm going to be starting my webcomic this coming school year and I was wondering if I could use Lipsyn for it.
    Why? I mean, I guess you could in theory, but why would you? You could get so much more with some web space and a CMS.
  • edited August 2007
    Is Lipsyn only for podcasts? I'm going to be starting my webcomic this coming school year and I was wondering if I could use Lipsyn for it.Why? I mean, I guess you could in theory, but why would you? You could get so much more with some web space and a CMS.
    I don't want to spend alot of money on web hosting, and I thought Libsyn would be an inexpensive way to get web hosting.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • GoDaddy will give you hosting AND a domain name for about $12 a year. Libsyn you have to pay $10 a month. Unless you are podcasting, you do not need to pay for the specific services Libsyn provides.
  • Here's my plan, some of which has been put into action...
    -Opened libsyn account
    -Uploaded ep60 on libsyn (it was already on Podomatic)
    -I'm including a bit at the beginning of ep61 saying hey, we're moving
    -I'm making a separate promo to put on Podomatic only saying hey we're moving, get the picture
    -To ensure a smooth transition for the iTunes folks, I'm trying to get Podomatic's guys to help me insert the itunes:new-feed-url tag
    -After that, I'll make sure I have all the files I for some reason don't have copies of, pull the plug on Podomatic Pro and make a torrent of all my old eps available for anybody to download

How's that work?