This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

300GB SATA Seagate Barracuda on New Egg for 105 bucks

edited April 2006 in Technology
I found this on New Egg. I believe this is today only.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3300831AS 300GB 7200 RPM 8M Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $105.00

New Egg

Comments

• Forgot to add that there is no rebate.
  • God damn, I think my 300 gig Seagate ATA is that, and I know it cost me like $180.

I know I'm going to buy one or 2.
  • Nah, it's been that price for awhile now. It was actually $99 the last time I looked. Price went up.
  • I'll just buy that Seagate 700GB drive for $600. There goes all my cash.
  • The 300GB are at the sweet spot in the price per GB ratio now. The 300GB and the 250GB actually are just about tied at around $.37 per GB. Anything smaller or larger then that and the ratio starts going up, for example the current 400GB drives are running $.51 per GB and the 200GB drives are $.44.

It will be a while I think before the new perpendicular storage model drives like the 750GB Seagate hit that sweet spot.
  • edited April 2006
    Iomega NAS

What do you guys think about something like that?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • We might purchase it for GeekNights.
  • The Iomega bit looks cool. Dollars-per-GB ratio is relatively low, though...might it be cheaper to buy a bunch of smaller drives (like the ones mentioned at the top of this thread) and stick them in a cheap computer with an equivalent NIC?
  • Yeah, I'm thinking a computer with software RAID5 might be better value. But it wont have the cool wireless bits or the easily configured features.
  • edited April 2006
    I like the flexibility of a cheap computer with Linux or BSD. Easier to upgrade with more drives, instead of external USB. Plus you can set it up to use things like LVM and have snapshot-style backup capabilities.

I also don't think the WiFi is much of a feature. I mean, you already have an access point in your place what use is a second one?
    Post edited by Jameskun on
  • Is it an access point? I got the feeling that it was a wi-fi card, not an AP. That way you could plug the thing into an outlet and hide it somewhere rather than run a network cable to it. Am I wrong?
  • I just saw '802.11g with WEP and WPA' and '10/100 Mbps network ethernet port required' on the tech specs page. I figured the wireless must be an AP, probably to support a media center box of some sort.

Besides, I can't imagine wanting to run a large file server like that through a wireless connection.