This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Need help getting a game server running properly

edited August 2007 in Technology
Here's the deal: I am trying to run a server for an old, obscure MMO game from my PC. Once the game server is running, I can connect to it and play but so far two other test players are unable to connect, leading me to be pretty sure the problem is on my end.

I connect to the intertubes through a wireless connection to a Linksys router (downstairs) which in turn connects to a Motorola cable modem. I suspect that something with the router is the issue since I can connect to myself just fine. I have already got the port forwarding set up for the ports that the server uses. Is there anything else I'm missing that could be interfering with the other players' attempts to connect?

For a little further info, I've been telling them to connect to my PC's IP address, and I'm wondering if that's the one I should be giving them.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    You have port forwarding turned on and you are telling your friends to connect to the outward facing IP on the router?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Actually that outward-facing IP part may be the problem I'm missing. Sorry if I sound noobish, but how do I find that one? (Assuming it's not the one I use to get to the router settings)
  • edited August 2007
    I knew I should have tried that one. Thank you guys very much.

Hopefully this will work now.
    Post edited by AtheriShadow on