This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What to do with an old crappy PC?

edited April 2006 in Technology
I have a 6 year old pc that I will not uses as my primarily PC, and I was wonder if there was anything cool I could do with it. I was thinking along the lines of a media server or myth TV box, but I don't watch much TV so it wouldn't be very usefully. So is there anything cool I could do with it or is doomed to the life of a crappy server for my files. Also I don't know if this is a good show idea for Geek Nights

Comments

• Get a 20 dollar PCI video card with s-video output and hook it up to a tv. Get a wireless keyboard, mouse, and controllers (also wireless). Download emulators/roms and set up a wireless network to access your video library wherever you are in the house and maybe an apache server to access it from anywhere in the world.
  • Geeknight spoke about something you could do to it. Turn it into an emulation machine. I think it was on 03/20/06.
  • I did something similar with some 1 GHz PIIIs I came into possession of. One is a video server (just with win2k and an old All in One Wonder card), one is a music and file server, two are kids' computers.
  • I wish I could do all that media center stuff with my wife's 16 year old Laser Turbo XT in the garage. Unfortunately, loading roms on a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk would be a hassle. I think they only hold 360k anyways.

-Esteban
  • edited April 2006
    Throwing an extra NIC into a really old computer was the catalyst that lead me to learn how to build a linux-based firewall/router. This isn't something everyone wants/needs to learn, but it's certainly a possibility
    Post edited by belarm on
  • 6 year old PC? DOS GAMES!!!
  • Does anybody realize that there are precious metals inside your computer? Where do you think PC recyclers get their dough? In fact, there's some gold and silver in there, if you look well enough. Recyclers just rip it out of the motherboards mostly, then sell it to the government.
  • The amount of precious metal in your computer is so small you can't possibly make money off of it. A recycler can only make money if they recycle so many computers that they can get a large quantity of the metal. Even then, it's very expensive, difficult and possibly dangerous to extract those metals. Recycling computers isn't the most profitable business in the world.
  • Hell yeah DOS games! Wolfenstein 3D anyone?