This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ok, sell me on Ubuntu

edited August 2007 in Technology
I listened to the "UBUNTU, Buntu, buntu" episode a while back, but I don't understand much about operating systems, as all I've ever dealt with was windows and dos. I'm curious to know more about it to determine if it is better to use than Windows. Are there programs (mostly games) that will not work with ubuntu? Is Ubuntu a more efficient operating system? Can I install both ubuntu and windows on one hard drive, or is it best to have them on separate computers?

Is it like Mozilla in comparison to Internet Explorer?

Comments

• Asking "is Ubuntu better than Windoze" is like asking "is a new Schwinn better than a Geo Prism?" They're two completely different things. It all depends on what you want to use it for.

As a general rule, free software takes at least twice as much patience as commercial software. But after you get over a few hurdles, free software stays stable a lot longer than commercial. There are so many exceptions to this rule....

Use F/OSS if you want to learn about computers. If you don't care about computer science, then buy your software.
  • When I use Ubuntu, I find myself forgiving it for far too much or asking others for forgiveness when something doesn't work for them. Also, I find that most Linux users will say as a last resort "at least it's free!" I'm sorry, but I was told Linux was just as good, if not better than other commercial solutions, like Windows and OS X. With that said, Ubuntu is solid for being free, but it isn't for everyone. Some Linux users need to realise that some people like Windows and/or OS X.
  • I've said it like a zillion times, you can try it out without any risk to your system or wallet whatsoever. It can't hurt, so go for it.
  • I doubt anyone that needs to be sold on Ubuntu will have the patience, and the want to learn Ubuntu.
  • I used Ubuntu to learn more about Linux not long ago. I wiped my Laptop (after imaging the drive) because I figured it would force me to work through any problems instead of simply re-imaging off multiple DVD's. (it worked as well, I learnt more about Linux getting the wireless card working that I would have any other way)

As for selling it too you, I'm not sure I can. You see its down to personal preference along with your willingness to learn and search for solutions. With varying degrees of effort, Ubuntu will do 90% of what your Windows machine will, if you are willing to take the time and learn.
    All I can suggest is get the Live CD from the website, run it, play with it, check all your hardware works and find out what program you can/cant run. From there you can make a better decision based on experience.
  • When I started using Linux, I didn't have any reason too actually use it over Windows. The main reason why I started using it was as a new project, full of learning opportunities.
  • I doubt anyone that needs to be sold on Ubuntu will have the patience, and the want to learn Ubuntu.
    I think that says it all right there. If you need other people to suggest to you that you should make the leap to linux...you probably shouldn't.
  • edited August 2007
    Try linux mint (Latest Release) if you don't want to mess around getting all the proprietary stuff installed.
    Once you spend the time getting into linux the reward is a system that works and you know how and why its working.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I only recently installed a dual boot system with XP Pro and Ubuntu thanks to this show. Its like they said, you need a reason to switch. I did it as a project/hobby to learn. I did learn some things but I keep finding myself using Windows instead because that is where my games are and so I never bother to switch over. I have everything I need in Windows. If there was something I could only do in Linux then I'd be using it more, I think. It looks better, works better, and is generally cooler. I love Ubuntu. That being said, I don't really have a reason to switch back and forth so I don't. If you don't have a driving reason to go to Linux, you will probably find yourself in a spot like me. Its great but does not really fix anything for me.
  • It is good, it is cheap and it works, what else do you want?
  • I'm booting off of a Live CD for my first time. I LOVE Ubuntu! I need to find a hard drive to install it on. Currently I have an 80GB Windows boot, and an 250GB storage drive. Would a 10 GB drive be enough to install Ubuntu and all the necessary files?
  • I'm booting off of a Live CD for my first time. I LOVE Ubuntu! I need to find a hard drive to install it on. Currently I have an 80GB Windows boot, and an 250GB storage drive. Would a 10 GB drive be enough to install Ubuntu and all the necessary files?
    10 gigs would be enough, but you wouldn't have much room to spare. Don't expect to be able to store many files or install lots of software. You might reach a point where you want to add some software, and there is no space left. 10 is technically enough, but you might run into trouble. 20 is more than enough.
  • Wouldn't I be able to save documents to my Storage drive? They would go along Windows files, but I could make separate folders in the drive. Would I run into problems? I was planning on just installing Ubuntu on the 10 GB drive along with some programs, and then any big files to my Storage Drive.
  • Wouldn't I be able to save documents to my Storage drive? They would go along Windows files, but I could make separate folders in the drive. Would I run into problems? I was planning on just installing Ubuntu on the 10 GB drive along with some programs, and then any big files to my Storage Drive.
    What file system is your storage drive? NTFS? If it's NTFS, then there are things you can do to make it read/writable, but it won't be that easy. If it is any other file system besides NTFS, then you're solid.

And anyone who thinks Linux sucks because it can't write NTFS, Windows only supports three file systems, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS. Linux fully supports every file system in the known universe except NTFS, which it supports on a read-only basis. This is why your iPods have to be reformatted for Windows instead of Mac. Windows can't read the HFS+ file system that is used by iPods by default.
  • I am not sure. If I just plug it in [in Windows] can I tell? I did not think it mattered because, when I install it on the drive/ wipe whatever is on there currently, I thought I could choose the file system. I assume however that it is FAT 32 because it's only 10 GB. I will check though.
  • What file system is your storage drive? NTFS? If it's NTFS, then there are things you can do to make it read/writable, but it won't be that easy. If it is any other file system besides NTFS, then you're solid.
    I was just about to ask you all this question. Thanks! SCOTT READS MINDS! SCARY!
  • I am not sure. If I just plug it in [in Windows] can I tell? I did not think it mattered because, when I install it on the drive/ wipe whatever is on there currently, I thought I could choose the file system. I assume however that it is FAT 32 because it's only 10 GB. I will check though.
    Yes, the 10 gig file system you are going to put Ubuntu on does not matter. That will almost definitely be an ext3 file system which is what the Ubuntu installer will use by default. I'm asking what file system your storage drive uses. Your Ubuntu installation will have a hard time writing to the storage partition if it is formatted with an NTFS file system.
  • The Storage is NTFS. I heard I can just install something to make it reconizable. Next question: When I download something, is it in source code? Or does it work like it does in Windows. I need to know how to install and use the Linux programs.
  • ntfs-3g is the name of the program.
  • The Storage is NTFS. I heard I can just install something to make it reconizable. Next question: When I download something, is it in source code? Or does it work like it does in Windows. I need to know how to install and use the Linux programs.
    There is a thing you can setup to recognize and read/write the NTFS file system. It does work. However, I haven't done it, and it will require some amount of work, however small.

As for installing software, do not worry about it. With Ubuntu at least you will install all of your software using a program called Synaptic Package Manager that comes with Ubuntu. We did an episode on it.
  • I guess guess what I'm trying to find out is if Ubuntu is more efficient, faster, and has less program compatibility problems than windows. I'm not a fan of microsoft's Monopoly (especially trying to keep DX10 to only run on Vista). So if there is an operating system that will run my programs, is more efficient and not from microsoft, why would I not want to utilize it? I've never had any friends or seen any computers running linux, so I don't know what it's like at all. If I were to try Ubuntu, I'd be running blind. As I primarily play PC games, internet surf, and basic computer jobs (photo editing, music storage, ect.), I don't know if Ubuntu is for me, if it is geared only to a certain type of computer use.
  • bodtchboy, it depends entirely on what "your programs" are. Some of them will run on Linux. Some of them will have replacements you can use instead. Some will not work at all. I suggest you go to the ubuntu website, get a liveCD and boot it. You can try Linux without any risk of hurting your computer in any way and without paying any money. Just try it, and don't worry so much about what other people say about it.
  • I have an ATI x 800 graphics card. [yes I know ATI]. To install those drivers, and possible other drivers, would I just put in the installation CD? How would I go about installing any drivers in Ubuntu?
  • I have an ATI x 800 graphics card. [yes I know ATI]. To install those drivers, and possible other drivers, would I just put in the installation CD? How would I go about installing any drivers in Ubuntu?
    You don't have to install them. They're built in. There might be alternative or better drivers you can use for your ATi card. To install them, you just follow the directions on the Ubuntu Wiki or forums. It might be as simple as installing them in synaptic, it might require some typing.
  • Awesome. Ubuntu is installing! Thanks a million Scott!
  • @Zeehat: If you mount your "/home" directory (where all your documents, desktops, program files etc.. are stored) to the storage hard drive your 10gb hd will easily hold the rest of the system. Don't change the ATI proprietary drivers for the first time while booting from hard drive. I've had it mess the screen up royally before. Instead try it on the live CD and make sure you get the settings right.

I'd just like to say that Linux isn't free due to the time spent getting good at it but is definitely worth it. The amount of time you spend learning a lot of basic things and then working your way up will be made up for ten fold when you get a system that fits you exactly, is reliable, fast and you know what to do if anything goes wrong.
  • Yup, Ubuntu is running perfectly. Has been for the past 2 1/2 days ^_^. I would also like to mention that ntfs-3g is installed and works [so far] perfectly with my Storage drive. I have no issues at all with my Ubuntu, except trying to make my compiler work. It is probably just that I am doing something wrong, because of my lack of Linux Command knowledge.