This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Will a metal detector harm a DS?

edited August 2007 in Technology
I'm heading to court in a little bit to cover an arraignment, and I expect quite a long wait. I'm thinking the DS will tide me through the long haul. Of course, the bailiff will want me and all of my possessions to go through the metal detector. Will this scramble my datas? I don't want to lose my nifty pogeys.

Comments

• newp...
    A) I've been through many a metal detector with all my various electronic gadgets with no issues.

B) if children had been losing their pokemans via metal detectors and such we would've heard about it by now.
  • When going to the Smithsonian aero-space museum, I had to go through a metal detector, and i had my DS in my pocket. My Pokeymans are fine.
  • Wouldn't it set the detector off? When I travel I always send it through the X Ray machine and if that doesn't hurt it, the metal detector wont.
  • Mine went trough fine at the airport.
  • The metal detector shouldn't cause any problems. Depending on the sensitivity, it'll trip the alarm and you'll get searched. On the other hand, the courthouses I have been at have you put your items through an X-Ray machine. The X-Ray machine shouldn't damage the DS.
  • I think a metal detector would only damage very delicate magnetic storage so me with my flash cart might stand a slight risk but I presume the official cartridges are made to a more robust standard. That and there would already have been a mild shit storm had anything gone wrong with the DS.
  • Uhmm, flash doesn't use magnetic storage.... None what so ever, so no need to worry about that.
    Also, X-ray is only harmfull to organic matter, and even then, not so. (unless you get BOMBARDED with it)
    Last, normal electronical devices have very little metal in them.
  • I was actually thinking about strong magnets causing small induced currents in very tiny circuits. Though I doubt they'd use magnetic metals in chips. (Bluffed my way out of that one)
    X-rays can be dangerous for people like radiographers (who operate x-ray machines in hospitals) but you can measure the amount of X-ray radiation by using special photographic film.
  • X-rays can be dangerous for people like radiographers (who operate x-ray machines in hospitals) but you can measure the amount of X-ray radiation by using special photographic film.
    Which is why the X-Ray machine is nearly always controlled from another room, with a big ol' sheet of lead in between.
  • My DS was quite happy travelling through airport security sometimes it was on sometimes off. No problems.