This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Review:Mai-HIME Anime

edited August 2007 in Anime
Overview.
........Well, since I done this once before why not again? Today I'm going to review the anime mai-HIME Which is about a group of girls (13 to be exact.) that are pulled into a fight for the sake of the world and the one who they love most, the story starts like any other anime, occasionally throwing a hefty amount of fanservice. But as the series progresses it becomes darker. (fortunately tuning down the fan-service.)

Characters
........One of Mai-HIME's best points is the strong character design, all of the characters stand out form each other and are unique, and so is their childs or summon spirits to put it in a better context. Each is design to fit around the characters and come from diverse sources, from Norse mythology to the cthulhu mythos. The one that in my opinion stands out the best is Kagutsuchi which is a combination between a phoenix, a dragon and a whale, the design is mostly original which is a good point. Another strong about the characters is how strongly their emotions are portrayed, from love to hatred to just downright insanity. they are all portrait in an effective way.

Story/themes
........the story was okay, it had it's strong points but some more important points were not shoved enough to be noticed at first sight, the story (like the character design) draws heavily from mythology and fiction. The themes are a little overused but beautifully presented, what would one would not to lose what matters most and what happens when you eventually do. The ending was also slightly lackluster for reason that will not be discussed so nothing is spoiled.

Quality
........The animation quality was astounding, the animation itself was smoother and well done, there were barely any mistakes that I have seen.

Rating
........I end up giving this series 80 flavors of awesome out of a hundred. The manga is garbage that should be avoided.

Comments

• I hate this show with a passion. It's utter garbage.
  • Have you watched all of it?
  • Only the first 6 or so episodes. If it gets better, let me know, but I found it to be crap.
  • To much fan service for my taste, it is a good thing that you post here other forums are not that forgiving :P
  • edited August 2007
    Only the first 6 or so episodes. If it gets better, let me know, but I found it to be crap.
    It get darker and the fan service is is significantly reduce, actually up to a point it's gone completely for a good part of the series.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Not worth it.
  • Whatever floats your boat.
  • Were you the guy at Otakon's Artist Alley who was whining about how there was no Mai Hime fan art?

/I was just kidding with you.
    //There really was a scary dude wandering around Artist Alley whining about the lack of Mai Hime fan art.
  • I'm in Florida. XD

In yasumicon I was doing something like that, but with Utena fanart instead of mai-HIME, basically it was me going "does anyone want to give this hardgay some Utena fanart? Hooooooo!" Then I actually got some and I kept saying "Okay!"

Damn I love anime cons.
  • Finished watching it recently. The everything's happy ending (not any kind of a spoiler) seemed to work well and towards the end it was rather awesome.
  • ...does anyone want to give this hardgay some Utena fanart? Hooooooo!" Then I actually got some and I kept saying "Okay!"
    Yay for Hard Gay real life references!

As for Mai Hime, my friend kept telling me to download it back when it was being fan-subbed. I would read his LJ posts about it the show and how certain episodes would end on a HUGE cliff hanger. I was intrigued, however was still lazy to watch it. After it was finally released on DVD, we would watch it on Anime nights. Even though I don't really care for the lesbian undertones, the story was decent, and the characters were enjoyable. It was pretty interesting seeing how happy-go-lucky the show was, then it became a "WTF?". I remember watching the last episode to I think it was the 3rd to last DVD, and I was like "Are they gonna go there?" Yeah. They went there. >.< My friends just enjoyed my reactions of denial of what happened. Then many months passed of not knowing what was going to happen, then we finally watch the last 2 DVDs back to back because apparently there was no way I could watch the 2nd to last DVD with out having the last DVD on hand. I'm happy I got to watch the series. There are still a few part which weirded me out (*cough*student body president*cough*). however, I enjoyed the show overall. Don't know if I'll buy it, but it was worth watching.
  • ...does anyone want to give this hardgay some Utena fanart? Hooooooo!" Then I actually got some and I kept saying "Okay!"
    Yay for Hard Gay real life references!

As for Mai Hime, my friend kept telling me to download it back when it was being fan-subbed. I would read his LJ posts about it the show and how certain episodes would end on a HUGE cliff hanger. I was intrigued, however was still lazy to watch it. After it was finally released on DVD, we would watch it on Anime nights. Even though I don't really care for the lesbian undertones, the story was decent, and the characters were enjoyable. It was pretty interesting seeing how happy-go-lucky the show was, then it became a "WTF?". I remember watching the last episode to I think it was the 3rd to last DVD, and I was like "Are they gonna go there?" Yeah. They went there. >.< My friends just enjoyed my reactions of denial of what happened. Then many months passed of not knowing what was going to happen, then we finally watch the last 2 DVDs back to back because apparently there was no way I could watch the 2nd to last DVD with out having the last DVD on hand. I'm happy I got to watch the series. There are still a few part which weirded me out (*cough*student body president*cough*). however, I enjoyed the show overall. Don't know if I'll buy it, but it was worth watching.
    If you see where both Shizuru and Natsuki and their childs come from they you will know why that was done like that, still scary tough.

I got the DVDs for free.