This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym & Scott: Jerks, or regional variation? :)

jccjcc
edited August 2007 in Flamewars
Rym & Scott are quite opinionated.

After listening to many of their shows, I've gotten the impression that they have little tolerance for many types of people, although usually they will explain their lack of patience with fun anecdotes and interesting podcast bits. They also seem to have a fondness for rants, and an intense dislike for Other People's Problems.

Taken as a whole, they often come off sounding like jerks to my ears.

However, they are from New York, which stereotypes and the media have lead me to believe is a somewhat harsh place which requires a somewhat harsh personality if one wants to avoid getting dragged down. They are also doing a show, which is always more interesting when people are opinionated. Lastly, they are geeks, which historically have been known for having less than perfect scores in Skills: Diplomacy. (Class penalty, you know. :P)

What say you, forums?

With any luck, this will become as popular as my other favorite flamewar thread, "Why People Think Rym & Scott are Gay." :)

Comments

• Rym and Scott are fucking assholes. I hate them.
  • As an opinionated jerk myself, I find them to be amongst the cream of humanity. (COUGH HACK)
  • This Boasas comic says everything that needs to be said on this issue.
  • I hereby cyber punch them on their cyber noses in cyber retribution.
  • You are right, jcc. But the sheer force of their homoerotic magnetism keeps me coming back for more. They're like crack... man crack.
  • Rym and Scott are fucking assholes.
    They are, too. *Right this very second.*
  • Heh. That took me a few seconds to get ^_^;
  • Rym and Scott are fucking assholes.
    They are, too. *Right this very second.*
    Uglyfred++.

There is a fine line between an asshole and one who speaks the plain truth; Rym and Scott crossed that line a long time ago.

But admit it, they're damn funny.
  • I have to agree, they are assholes. However, they are geek assholes. So it isn't as annoying as the guy that cuts you off while yelling in his cellphone...
  • I don't think they're assholes.
  • I think they're normal people who have been given a medium which makes them feel important and they have no-one present to oppose their views. They are to a lesser extent, fuckwads though the anonymity is replaced by broadcasting to people who tend to agree with them. Here in lies one of the problems with podcasting, a medium in which no-one has any control over what views you put out (which is a blessing and a curse) and you have no obligation to consider any view but your own.
    Remember that what Scrym puts out is opinion and could be lies.

A cool idea springs to mind. Could geeknights do a podcast conversation with someone who is reasonable but has opposite views on an issue such as religion or technology. Or, more entertainingly, a conversation with someone who is highly unreasonable and/or evangelical.
  • They've been out of school and working for . . . what? Two years maybe? They have yet to be smacked down by the adult world in any major way. Let them spend some time where their opinions count for nothing - an IRS audit or a deposition. Let them suffer through a messy divorce. Let their identities be stolen. Let them have some punk kid who's just graduated from college tell them that their skills are stale. Let them experience their first colonoscopy. Let them parent an ungrateful child. Then I'll bet their opinions will mellow a bit and they'll allow that they might not be right 100% of the time.

Note: I'm not advocating for any of this to actually happen. I'm just saying that, when you think they "come off sounding like jerks", remember that they're basically still punk kids.

A cool idea springs to mind. Could geeknights do a podcast conversation with someone who is reasonable but has opposite views on an issue such as religion or technology. Or, more entertainingly, a conversation with someone who is highly unreasonable and/or evangelical.
    I would love to be on the show to talk to them about their misguided opinions regarding Lincoln. One of the worst people in the world because he suspended habeas? Fellas, if you haven't noticed, that's being done right now, but all you do is say, "Meh."
  • Or, more entertainingly, a conversation with someone who is highly unreasonable and/or evangelical.
    This would end in violence.
  • Fellas, if you haven't noticed, that's being doneright now, but all you do is say, "Meh."Scott says "meh."  I'm a lot more active and attention-paying in politics than he is.  I re-registered as a Democrat (despite my misgivings about the party)  just so I could vote in their primaries, and I've donated money to my candidate.  I walked in the giant NYC protest some years back, and I write my representatives in congress at least twice a year.
    To the rest of you, I'm sorry if we hold our fellow humans to a higher standard than many of them are able or willing to attain. ^_~
  • However, they are from New York, which stereotypes and the media have lead me to believe is a somewhat harsh place which requires a somewhat harsh personality if one wants to avoid getting dragged down
    I'm from the midwest.  I only moved to downstate New York in recent years. ^_~
  • Scottsays "meh." 
    And, if he were alive during the war, he would have said "Meh" then as well.

Believe me, I understand why a person would be disappointed in an executive who suspended habeas, but to call one who did it nearly 150 years ago one of the worst people in the world while ignoring the one who did it today is asymmetrical at best.
  • the war
    You're old. Only old people say "the war."
  • edited August 2007
    the war
    You're old. Only old people say "the war."
    Too bad he didn't say "The war of Northern Aggression". ^_~ =P
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • RymRym
    edited August 2007

Believe me, I understand why a person would be disappointed in an executive who suspended habeas, but to call one who did it nearly 150 years ago one of the worst people in the world while ignoring the one who did it today is asymmetrical at best.
    My beefs with Lincoln are greater than just that.

HOWEVER, I note that in general I tend to avoid large generalizations about modern or recent figures, only in that the scope of their merit (or lack thereof) is not yet fully known.  I cannot pass absolute judgement of a man who yet lives, for he always until death has the chance to alter his course.  I cannot form final opinion on a man who has lived recently, for I do not yet have the view of history to understand the full ramifications of his life.  I have to hold my contemporaries to different standards from those of my ancestors, for I am too close to the affairs of my own life to be reasonably objective.
    Bush is immune to my sweeping opinions on history due solely to the fact that I do not yet know the sum of the damage he will do.  Just as a plane which, on fire, has already crashed, has the possibility of striking a rocket fuel tanker truck into an orphanage, so too does Bush have the possibility of causing far greater harm than we have yet seen or anticipated.
    To be sure, I rather dislike him. ^_~
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited August 2007
    My beefs with Lincoln are greater than just that.
    I could be wrong, but I believe that was the primary thing you talked about in your "Worst" episode. Suspending habeas wasn't a nice thing, but it hardly qualifies for "Worst Person" treatment, especially when you consider that Maryland was on the knife's edge of seceding and that the country was experiencing an actual emergency, not a made up one.
    Just as a plane which, on fire, has already crashed, has the possibility of striking a rocket fuel tanker truck into an orphanage, so too does Bush have the possibility of causing far greater harm than we have yet seen or anticipated.

To be sure, I rather dislike him. ^_~

Do you try to stop the plane from crashing into the truck, or do you let history decide? Maybe the plane could have a change of heart so you reserve your judgment?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • edited August 2007

Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Do you try to stop the plane from crashing into the truck, or do you let history decide? Maybe the plane could have a change of heart so you reserve your judgment?

But in the analogy the plane crashed a long time ago, if you wanted to stop the crash, it could have been done in the last election.  Right now I hope to see a sole survivor, from the wreckage, a chimpanzee who gets shot by either a woman or a minority male.
    If Rym and Scott are jerks maybe you're just way too sensitive as they atleast back themselves up the majority of the time and it's quite clear when they're making jokes.  I'm as opinionated as they are as are most on the forum.

• Hmmm? Rym and Scott jerks?

Well even if they are assholes or bammas or fanboy/girl killers I still think they are a cesspool of pure geeky awesome.

It might be because they remind me of my friends Matt and Steve who are somewhat a black version of Rym and Scott.
  • Just so you know, when Rym does his "~_^" smiley face, he's really saying, "my e-peen is SOOO big."
  • I don't think they're jerks.

It seems to me that Rym and Scott simply recognise that they're smarter and better than most people and aren't afraid to flaunt it.

I agree that they have little tolerance for many types of people but then most people don't deserve to be tolerated. Whether through accident or design, most people are idiots.

Of course they have an intense dislike for other people's problems. Other people’s problems are worthless and irritating unless they effect your enjoyment of life. After all isn't the entire purpose of existence to extract the maximum enjoyment out of it for yourself?
  • Sometimes the truth hurts.
  • I would post the pheonix write rendition of the "C-C-C-Combo Breaker" as I think that is the first time someone but Rym has used that damn thing in so long.

Also, I second my own seconded opinion that we get some indignant fat mormans on the show to talk about video games then have Dave and Joel do a running commentary.
  • I don't think they're jerks.

It seems to me that Rym and Scott simply recognise that they're smarter and better than most people and aren't afraid to flaunt it.
    Standard character trait of the high INT low WIS PC. :) Great for roleplaying, not so much in real life.
    I agree that they have little tolerance for many types of people but then most people don't deserve to be tolerated. Whether through accident or design, most people are idiots.
    Most certainly. Everyone on the bottom half of the curve qualifies. Sometimes idiocy can be deceptive, though. The world is a complicated place... some problems that appear to have easy and obvious correct or incorrect answers which divide people into the clever or the idiotic will become far less clear cut when examined from multiple angles or when examined in hindsight. Additionally, even idiots are usually capable of noting condescension, and, being idiots, are far more likely to take such an attitude personally, creating difficulties that needn't have been there.
    Of course they have an intense dislike for other people's problems. Other people’s problems are worthless and irritating unless they effect your enjoyment of life. After all isn't the entire purpose of existence to extract the maximum enjoyment out of it for yourself?
    I suppose it depends on one's worldview, and whether one views people as being fundamentally distinct, of a caliber clearly determined by comparison to an unchanging ideal, or if one views people as being more or less the same, with the different personalities and their various biases ending up on top or bottoming out depending on how these biases happen to interact with the vagaries of opportunity, circumstance, and the fashion of the times.
  • Sometimes Rym and Scott come off as major league jerks(honestly, either you exaggerate about how little you studied, or RIT's programs weren't that hot, I refuse to think you learned new thins there and never studied, and in some cases barely attended class). I put it to the fact that yes, they know a lot, and I definitely give Rym and Scott all the credit in the world for knowing much more than I do about things. I think, however, they forget that they are very, very, very lucky to have had the lives they have led. That's probably my biggest complaint.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2007
    honestly, either you exaggerate about how little you studied, or RIT's programs weren't that hot, I refuse to think you learned new thins there and never studied, and in some cases barely attended class)
    There is zero exaggeration on that front.  Most of what I personally learned at RIT I learned on my own screwing around in the labs, but our friends can attest that we never fucking went to class and never studied.  We spent most of our time trying to convince the rest of them to do the same. 
    The classes were still brutal; more than half of the freshmen coming in with us failed out before the end of their first year.  For projects and papers, we had to buckle down and do a lot of work, but we'd usually put those off and then spend an entire week finishing them at once.
    Part of it was just that we both had a lot of experience with computers before school, so we were already well ahead of the curve.  Part of it, at least for me, was that I came in with 41 credits already complete from high school and another 8 from the local community college, so I barely had to take any non-IT classes. 
    I think, however, they forget that they are very, very, very lucky to have had the lives they have led. That's probably my biggest complaint.
    Oh, we're well aware.  I learned that lesson about a quarter of the way through when my father stopped supporting my lifestyle.  (My lifestyle included such extravagances as eating and buying textbooks).  Economically, we had it pretty easy compared to the vast majority of humans in the world, but that doesn't mean we didn't take advantage of that head start to get even further.  I spent most of my free time running the anime club, which in and of itself was practically a full-time job.
    Post edited by Rym on