This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Urgent Linux help!

edited August 2007 in Technology
I have the Ubuntu live CD, which I have successfully booted only once. The one time I booted, I was in awe. It was beautiful. But I then I had to go downstairs for dinner. I came back and my system had gone idle and it wouldn't come back. I then restarted and tried to boot back into the disc, but I couldn't. I got a long stream of errors, most of which were along this line:

Buffer i/o error on device sr0 ...(different numbers)

I have tried repeatedly to boot off the CD and have always gotten similar results. Please, somebody help! Do you need any other information?

Comments

• Are you sure it's device sr0?
  • edited August 2007
    Yes. sr0 with some numbers coming after it. I'll try to boot again and get some of the numbers. But it is device sr0.

What IS device sr0?
    Post edited by Rooster on
  • Yes. sr0 with some numbers coming after it. I'll try to boot again and get some of the numbers. But it is device sr0.

What IS device sr0?
    According to the Internets their might be a problem with your CD-ROM. Try using the CD on a different computer. If the same CD works on a different computer, then your CD-ROM is the problem. If the CD doesn't work on a different PC, then burn a new CD.
  • Thanks a lot, Scott.
  • I had the same thing happen to me too, it was actually a bad CD drive. Keep an eye out though - if you start seeing hda/hdb/etc popping up, then you might want to listen to the episode on hard drive failure...