This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

North American Union

edited August 2007 in Politics
Alright, I'm someone who whenever I've found an article on the Internet or where ever else that says Canada and the States should become one country will rip it apart based on things like culture and that the people of Canada wouldn't want to use a voting system as broken as the one in the States. But ever now and then I stumble across articles saying that various people in the government are doing some sort if NAFTA-plus. This however is something very alarming to me as a Canadian and a sovereigntist. So what do you people think of the three countries becoming one? As this really feels like manifest destiny from where I sit north of the boarder...

Comments

• OMG! I would love to see a Southern Baptist preacher get hold of this!
  • It's a "fantasy pattern" coin for collectors. Americans won't give up our dollars. They are part of our national identity. There are problems of scale in consolidating the highly-devalued peso under one NA currency as well. It simply won't happen within my lifetime.
  • I'm not sure it'll fly. The difference between us and Europe is that there are very few people that travel consistently between the borders of these three countries on a daily or frequent basis. I'm not sure there will be as big of a push to get it done.
  • I'm not sure it'll fly. The difference between us and Europe is that there are very few people that travel consistently between the borders of these three countries on a daily or frequent basis. I'm not sure there will be as big of a push to get it done.
    I really wish that was true, and while it might not be true for people from the core of the states, business trips that last lest then two days are very common in Canada, where the trip only cover 300 or so kilometers. Also don't forget about the scare tactics, "if we're all one, then those terrorists that came through Canada can't get in that way again!" as we all love a good lie like that.

As for people being married to their money, well those designs are meant to appeal to Americans rather then Canadians, though I'm not sure about Mexicans, as I know very little about that country. But in the end I just don't trust Harper enough to do the right thing this time.
  • I really wish that was true, and while it might not be true for people from the core of the states, business trips that last lest then two days are very common in Canada, where the trip only cover 300 or so kilometers.
    I can't speak for Canadian business, but I'm pretty sure there are as many business trips from America to the Middle East as there are from America to Canada. Save for maybe Washington or New York . . . I don't think there are too many people that travel to Canada regularly.

Besides . . . credit card companies don't make it too difficult to travel across our near borders.
  • To me the whole thing is a bit scary, especially considering how you can already buy the coins...
  • edited August 2007
    Well this would leave Britain in a very good position. We can threaten the EU that we're going to go join Oceania.
    I don't think feminists would like the coin much either. I'm all for exposed cleavage but only when it doesn't look so stupid.
    The pose looks kind of like a 50p coin. Reference
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • You know, I just realised that the eagles head is facing the lightning bolts rather then the olive branch, not to mention the complete and total lack of anything that can be construed as Canadian or Mexican in it. God I really hope that doesn't come to pass.
  • You know, I just realised that the eagles head is facing the lightning bolts
    Why are there lightning blots instead of arrows?
  • Why are there lightning blots instead of arrows?
    Arrows are the normal one, though you do see lightning bolts every now and then.
  • not to mention the complete and total lack of anything that can be construed as Canadian or Mexican in it.
    You think this is going to be achieved by diplomatic means?
  • Is serious mode:
    Americans won't give up our dollars. They are part of our national identity.
    That is no different for many European countries. Some of the currencies are 1000 years old or more and very much a part of the national identity. Nonetheless some EU countries have discarded their old currencies and embraced the Euro for practical reasons, although others have kept the old currency alongside the Euro.

I don't think you are wrong, I just wanted to point out one of the many cultural aspects of European cultures many Americans don't seem to understand.

Not in serious mode:
    Alright, I'm someone who whenever I've found an article on the Internet or where ever else that says Canada and the States should become one country will rip it apart based on things like culture and that the people of Canada wouldn't want to use a voting system as broken as the one in the States. But ever now and then I stumble across articles saying that various people in the government are doing some sort if NAFTA-plus.Thishowever is something very alarming to me as a Canadian and a sovereigntist. So what do you people think of the three countries becoming one? As this really feels like manifest destiny from where I sit north of the boarder...
    For Facebook users: An alternative future for USA. (Yes, I know this is a rip-off of an older British text)
  • Is it just me or do the coin images seem fake maybe made is some sort of photo shop. This seems like a scam (at least the selling part) to the conspiracy nuts to try to say to "prove" that the "Amero" exists. Sure this may happen in the future but since I have heard nothing reliable about this I will disregard it.
  • edited August 2007
    Is it just me or do the coin images seem fake maybe made is some sort of photo shop. This seems like a scam (at least the selling part) to the conspiracy nuts to try to say to "prove" that the "Amero" exists. Sure this may happen in the future but since I have heard nothing reliable about this I will disregard it.
    The pictures are obviously computer generated images, not photographs. They could be prefabrication designs, although a scam sounds plausible too.

A friend of mine is an artist who designs "collector's coins", the kind that has no real value but are supposed to become very valuable in 20 years or so. He says it's all a scam because it's obvious that the "coins" will never become valuable.

EDIT: One of the first sentences reads: "These private-issue fantasy pattern coins will be struck as an annual series, starting in the latter part of 2007." It's obviously prefabrication designs for (stupid) collectors, and they are quite frank about it.
    Post edited by navelfluff on
  • Do you think that coins will still be relevant in a few years time? Won't it just be a card you have or your retina that stores all your money for you?