This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

IDShare

edited August 2007 in Forum Stuff
You might notice at the top of the forum is a new tab labeled IDShare. This is a new Vanilla Extension I am developing that makes it easier for forum members to share their usernames and IDs for social networks and video games. This extension is nowhere near perfect or complete, so expect there to be hiccups.

The way it works right now is you go to the Account tab and click on Personal Information in the left sidebar. At the bottom there is an area to Add Custom Information. If you set a Label equal to one of the items in the IDShare pulldown menu, then the value you have set will appear to users who look that up in IDShare.

This extension is still under development, but I am the sole developer. Consider it a pre-beta. I mean, I've only worked on it for a total of three days worth of train rides. If you have any suggestions, bug reports, etc. this is the thread to post them in. If there are any items you think that I should add/remove from the list, this is also the place to say so.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Major props to you, Scott. Finding and adding IDs by clicking on each user name and then hitting the back button was laborious and prohibitive (for us lazy folk). This will streamline it. I particularly like that you can search for DS codes by title, rather than just be user.

The only problem I see is that we'll have to explain how it works to every n00b who wanders into the forum and starts their own "post your Mario Kart codes here" thread.

Should I list Pokemon DS codes under Pokemon, Pokemon DS, Pokemon Diamond, or Pokemon D/P?
    Post edited by Jason on

• The only problem I see is that we'll have to explain how it works to every n00b who wanders into the forum and starts their own "post your Mario Kart codes here" thread.
    I think it's a good trade off to replace all those threads with this one thread. Also, I'm working on ways to make it easier. It is far from done.
  • I put it under Pokemon D/P.
  • I put it under Pokemon D/P.
    Only what is listed in the pulldown menu will work. Everything else will just hide in your profile. Make your settings match what the pulldown menu says. In the next version this will no longer be an issue.
  • Just switched, nice job!
  • Duly noted and changed. I really like how this works.
  • Seems like a neat idea. If you want/need beta testers, I run a vanilla board on my site.
  • Awesome stuff, Scott :)

Only one problem: as additions to the lists are currently sorted based on forum id number (awesome people near the top, losers at the bottom), and not the date the label/value information was added, how can we easily tell which ones are new and which ones are old? If they were sorted by date added - just like the old forum stickies used to be - it would simply involve finding the last one added, then adding all entries after that. I just don't want to have to go through all the items on each list every time I want to add new people.

Also, please add Steam account names and Xbox Live Gamertag values.
  • thane, while sorting by the date the information was added is a good idea, that information simply isn't stored in the database. It is technologically feasible to store that information, but it would cause a tremendous hit to performance and increase the complexity of the extension by a lot. I can change the order based on other things, though. Perhaps I will put the newest forum members at the top.
  • I added Steam, but I'm not going to add XBox Live until I can figure out how to integrate it with the GamerTag extension.
  • Hey Scott, it works great so far. Any chance of adding Last.fm?
  • Wow, this is the best idea ever! I really like it and it makes it simple to see everything.

Maybe a general blog tag, or a wordpress tag, a blogger tag, etc. would be nice, because people on these forums are intelligent enough that I might care to read about their blogs. Other than that, this is great!
  • This is a terrific idea. Thank you!
  • It is technologically feasible to store that information, but it would cause a tremendous hit to performance and increase the complexity of the extension by a lot.
    Chuck Norris makes P = NP.
  • IDShare looks really awesome!

But why is there no YIM IDShare thing? Am I the only one that uses YIM?
  • IDShare looks really awesome!

But why is there no YIM IDShare thing? Am I the only one that uses YIM?
    What is YIM?
  • What is YIM?

Yahoo Instant Messenger?
  • What is YIM?

Yahoo Instant Messenger?

For shame!
  • What is YIM?

Yahoo Instant Messenger?

For shame!
    Sorry! YIM is the closest thing to cool I can find on my Mac! I mean, there's Skype, but does anyone really wanna talk to a 13 year old kid (besides pedophiles)?
  • Sorry! YIM is the closest thing to cool I can find on my Mac! I mean, there's Skype, but does anyone really wanna talk to a 13 year old kid (besides pedophiles)?
    Adium + Jabber/AIM/Anything Else...
  • Sorry! YIM is the closest thing to cool I can find on my Mac! I mean, there's Skype, but does anyone really wanna talk to a 13 year old kid (besides pedophiles)?

Adium + Jabber/AIM/Anything Else...

I will download that right now.
  • I got Adium. I love it.
  • Onne thing I might like added to the IDShare is an autofill for the Label box;  like when you are typing someone's name in the whisper box. 
    It's just annoying to flip back between two tabs to check the pulldown menu as I fill the profile page.  A minor annoyance,  though.
  • I still wish you could search for Xbox Live Gamertags. I know you said you weren't doing it until you could figure out how to get the Gamercards to show up, but in all fairness, it's not like there are icons or anything showing up for the other search criteria.
  • edited October 2007
    I just set up my IDShare and was surprised to find no del.icio.us. I love this thing and think the idea of a huge Geeknights network is awesome.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Something I just noticed today: Twitter is misspelled. T-W-I-T-T-E-R, not T-W-I-T-T-R.
  • Pretty damn cool ....

Any chance of adding IMDb, maybe?
  • edited February 2008
    IMDb? Why? What movies have you been in?
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • No, I mean like sharing your vote history and stuff.

I haven't been in any movies. But my name will appear on IMDb ... one day ...