This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

video card upgrade

edited August 2007 in Technology
I have a PC with an AMD 64 3200+, 1GB of RAM and an NVidia 6600gt and I want to know if it would be worth upgrading to an Nvidia 7600gt? It's only around $100, would it be worth the upgrade?

Comments

• When did you buy the computer and what is the upgrade for?
  • I bought my PC around 2 years ago and I just want to get some more fps in CS: Source and games like that.
  • I would not purchase any card in the 7 series. This is because the industry recently halted sale of any GeForce 7 chipset with more than 128 megs of ram on board and an interface greater than 128-bit. In other words, you're buying a card that will stutter and die not even three or four months from now. It is no where near as powerful as it needs to be to run any of the Orange Box games. I suggest you buy something the GeForce 8800 range or greater. Its a kick in the pants in cost, but its the only 'low end' graphics card that is actually worth the money.
  • How could a 7000 series, even a gimped one, not be able to run the Orange Box games? I have a GeForce FX 5900 with 128 megs of video RAM. While not amazing, it can easily handle Half-Life 2, HL2: Ep 1, CS: Source, and all sorts of other games on the source engine. The Orange Box games are all going to be running on the same engine, so why would they not run on my lowly computer? It would be kind of silly that there could be a computer that can play HL2: Episode 1, but not play HL2: Episode 2.
  • The 7600gt is a mid range 7 series card and the 8800 anything is far from low end. No offence, but you don't know shit.
  • I don't know about from the 6600 to the 7600 but I recently upgraded from a GeForce FX 5200 to a 7600GS and it's phenomenal. Went with best bang for buck which meant a 256MB 7600 GS for $100 to fit my AGP slot.

I figure this ought to tide me over for a couple years until I can afford and am ready to upgrade my entire box and go with the wonderfulness of PCI-E.
  • I don't know about from the 6600 to the 7600 but I recently upgraded from a GeForce FX 5200 to a 7600GS and it's phenomenal. Went with best bang for buck which meant a 256MB 7600 GS for $100 to fit my AGP slot.

I figure this ought to tide me over for a couple years until I can afford and am ready to upgrade my entire box and go with the wonderfulness of PCI-E.
    I might do something similar to improve the play experience when the orange box comes. Also, one of the fans on my FX5900 is teh dead, so it might be a good idea.
  • I'm in a similar situation. My Radeon 9800 recently fell over and died, and I was wondering if getting a 7600-7800 based card might be a good option. The price is right, and it sounds like you were happy with your purchase, raquor, so I think I'll dust off the wallet sometime soon.

As a sidebar, I replaced the 9800 with a Geforce2 MX I had lying around. I was amazed by the range of games that could actually run on it. Even HL2 ran at a reasonable rate, although the texture detail was poor. All things considered, damned impressive for a 7 year old card. Consider me a convert.
  • Currently on the market right now, there are no high end GeForce 7 series cards available. About a month ago, manufacturers pulled all 512mb 7 Series cards from the market that had a memory interface greater than 128 bit. The most powerful GeForce 7 Series card you can buy right now is a 256mb/256bit at about $200. At such a price, it is foolish to disregard that for only about $100 more, you could buy a card that not only blows away the GeForce 7 family, its only in third place with the best of the GeForce 8 series. Its only "low end" because price for power it is 1/3 the cost of its families most powerful cards.

What I meant was just that. A card that has 128mb and a 128bit interface for around $100 is no where near as powerful as it needs to be to run next generation games*. Even if you make the argument that a thrifty card is better, the low end GeForce 7 series cards are actually at the same price as their GeForce 8 series counterparts. The more powerful the cards become, the more they cost (and the closer to the price of the GeForce 8800 you become). I was entirely on board with GeForce 7 cards until all manufacturers stopped selling their highest end cards for stupidly low prices.

*As far as concerns about performance, I draw concern about the leap from E1 to E2 to be great. My 6800 Go Ultra 256mb with 256bit interface ran HL2 with no problems at all, but because I have a 20" monitor, I could only run HL2 at a screen resolution of 1280x800. Despite this, the card came to stutter with HL2: E1 and had a very difficult time going any further than 1024x768 with meager settings in FEAR. The 7600 card will be capable at running E2 for sure, but without copious settings like antialiasing and antistrophic filtering, not to mention strides in HDR lighting, available.
  • Why did they pull those cards from the market?
    I don't know what he's talking about. 7 series cards of all shapes and sizes can be found on Newegg.
  • GeForce 7 series cards that have greater than 256mb on board AND a memory interface higher than 128bit are no longer available on Newegg.

The last card that was at a reasonable price was a 512mb 256bit 7900 for $150. They no longer offer cards this powerful in the GeForce 7 family. If you're going to buy the last AGP card for $250, you may as well pay a trivial twenty bucks more for a PCIex16 slot, more powerful core clock speed, faster memory interface, and despite it being worthless (forever?), an added bonus of DX10 compatibility.

• The last card that was at a reasonable price was a 512mb 256bit 7900 for $150. Theyno longeroffer cards this powerful in the GeForce 7 family. If you're going to buy the last AGP card for $250, you may as well pay a trivialtwenty bucks morefor a PCIex16 slot, more powerful core clock speed, faster memory interface, and despite it being worthless (forever?), an added bonus of DX10 compatibility.
    True if you're buying a new computer. However, if you're upgrading a computer that only has AGP, probably not the best idea. Besides, cards that powerful are only for hardcore scary gamers who need to have crazy fps. The 7 series cars that have 256MB of memory will play the Orange Box games and such just fine. Bioshock only seems to require a 6600 at the minimum, so a 7 series is more than enough.

This stuff only matters to people who are crazy enough to spend so much on a video card that you could get a DS and a handful of games for the same price. I think I'm going to upgrade my 5900 to a 7 series and then I'll be able to play these awesome new games without having to upgrade for a few more years.
    A month ago while I kept an eye on a powerful MSI 7900 GS*, I noticed as it sold out and subsequently was removed from listings. That same week, EVGA (as well as PNY and XFX) started selling their 8800 GTS cards with more generous rebates for under $300. This was obviously to influence customers to buy cards that, while more powerful than 7000 cards, were on the low end of the new 8000 family.

*NVIDIA no longer advertises 512mb models on their website for the 7000 cards.
  • Besides, cards that powerful are only for hardcore scary gamers who need to have crazy fps. The 7 series cars that have 256MB of memory will play the Orange Box games and such just fine. Bioshock only seems to require a 6600 at the minimum, so a 7 series is more than enough.
    I think this is exactly what it comes down to. In my opinion, I considered any card less than $300 to be reasonable. I had a sneaking suspicion all along that this was the case with you Scott: that you play games with very utilitarian settings, and that anything more would be superfluous extravagance, even on the fringe of being fanatical.

This is all well and fine. However, I do not see any problem with paying a small premium for a card that will take advantage of things like HDR lighting, particulate effects, and further the immersing universe for games like Half Life 2; a game which specifically capitalizes on the cinematic effect.

I recently did the same this year: upgraded from a GeForce 5200 FX to a GeForce 6800 (Ultra, I believe?). I have been playing Call of Duty: UO multiplayer and found that the end of last year, I kept getting my butt kicked and was getting so frustrated! I've played that game since it came out. Either I screwed up something with my computer making it slower, or too many other players have upgraded and gained the advantage (I refuse to believe it is because others were better at the game than me. ;) Found out I was only getting 30 FPS (avg.) and decided I needed to upgrade. I average about 60 FPS now. Plus I get higher settings on HL2 and my other games. I'm wanting to do a full computer upgrade now. Seems like a good time to.
  • I'm wanting to do a full computer upgrade now. Seems like a good time to.
    Sounds like it may be worthwhile.