This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Boinc

edited August 2007 in Technology
While I used to run it a few years ago (or a similar one, if not that exact one) I've been running it on my computer again since about last September. First, for those of you that don't know Boinc is:
Posted By: Wikipedia The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) is a non-commercial middleware system for volunteer computing, originally developed to support the SETI@home project, but intended to be useful for other applications in areas as diverse as mathematics, medicine, molecular biology, climatology, and astrophysics. The intent of BOINC is to make it possible for researchers to tap into the enormous processing power of personal computers around the world.
The software is free/open source software, released under the GNU Lesser General Public License. It is also used for commercial usages, as there are some private companies that are beginning to use the platform to assist in their own research.[specify] The framework is supported by various operating systems: Windows (XP/2K/2003/NT/98/ME), Unix (GNU/Linux, FreeBSD) and Mac OS X.
Though I do admit that my reasoning for initially starting to run Boinc again was less the altruistic, mostly that my room was cold and running it would make my computer warm and then heat my room in the night. And before anyone says anything, yes I am too cheap to get a space heater. So am I the only one to use Boinc here? or are others running it on their idle computers in the dead of winter.

Right now I run QMC@home and rosetta@home are the only two projects I have going at the moment.

Comments

• I ran SETI a long time ago, like last millenium, because it was the thing to do at the time. It was actually a pretty nice looking screen saver all things considered. Still, I think that SETI is a waste of time, and our resources are better spent elsewhere. I later ran Folding@Home when it was very new, but that didn't last long. Nowadays I tend to keep my computers doing as little as possible when I'm not using them. While I respect the Boinc action, I really just don't care.