This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Laptop decisions

edited August 2007 in Technology
Okay, I need some help in this department. I'm looking for one a laptop that can do some moderate gaming (mainly for LAN parties) and flash work creation. I currently have this lying around, and I'm on the verge of returning it. Some told me to keep it; but they are more towards the business spreadsheets stuff, and I haven't heard from anyone in the graphics design field personally. I tried running some games on it, such as Counter-Strike Source, and it was terrible, even at lowest settings (resolution was the lowest 16x10 aspect ratio allowed) with only 18 fps according to the stress test. Here's the list just to make it easier on the eyes.
-Requires to play games such as Half-Life 2 and/or the upcoming Team Fortress 2. Highest settings not required.

-I also use Flash and Photoshop, so 15-17 inches.

-Processor brand, doesn't matter

-Definitely not using the Intel Integrated Graphics crap

-Don't trust Sony brand electronics that much

-About $1000 or less. (Well, maybe up to $1200)
Thanks in advance. Last thing I want to do is regret about having a laptop that doesn't live up to my expectations.
Oh yeah, personal expereience with a particular laptop is a plus.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    -About $1000 or less.
    Off the top of my head, I don't think it is possible for this price range. I may be wrong though...
    Try this as well.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited August 2007
    -About $1000 or less.Off the top of my head, I don't think it is possible for this price range. I may be wrong though...
    Well, there is some leeway to how much I'll be willing spend. Obviously something like the $2400 uber-gaming Toshiba laptop I saw is out of the question. Maybe $1200.
    Forgot to mention I've been on a couple of shooping sites, guess I just have to refine my searches as well.
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • edited August 2007
    ...I've been on a couple of shooping sites,
    Somebody's been browsing 4chan!

I'm hesitant to recommend a DELL or HP, as I've had so many problems with those laptops. I'm no expert, but perhaps a more standards compliant system76 laptop (are these IBM?) might be good. I'm sure you can get that and Windows XP for not too much money. (You could also use an existing license if you have one)

Perhaps even a dual boot solution?
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • I suggest Cyberpower. They're the cheapest out there unless you go find some shady website on like the 87th page of your google search.