This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Alright, GoogTube now has in-vid ads. Gotdamn.

Comments

• Hear that? That's the sound of millions of people ready to switch over to the Pirate Bay's video site the moment it goes online.
  • I wonder just how many DON'T-GO-TO-YOUTUBE protests there will be.

My estimate: Not enough.
  • Well, I can tell you that if ads on YouTube get annoying, people are going to be posting their videos elsewhere. If Google was smart what they would do is put the ads in the video in such a way that it doesn't bother anybody. For example, you know when you are done watching a YouTube video and it recommends other videos to you? What if one of those recommendations was a Google ad instead?
  • One of the best examples of the right way to do advertising on video sites is the video where an unconscious drunk guy is slingshotted (slungshot?) over the fence by his friends. It is clearly a fake, but it's fun to watch, and the product logo at the end of the video doesn't diminish the entertainment value. If advertisers spent some money on content worth watching, no-one would complain about advertising. But it looks like the ads in YouTube videos will be just another form of banner advertising. Yawn.
  • Honestly I think its probably the best way they could do ads in video. Putting them before is annoying and would certainly kill youtube, if its after no one would watch them which would hurt how much they would get paid for them by advertisers. Putting them in the video makes it so its guaranteed everyone sees them, but its also nothing more then what you see on normal TV. It happens once, and not for very long.
  • Well, I can tell you that if ads on YouTube get annoying, people are going to be posting their videos elsewhere. If Google was smart what they would do is put the ads in the video in such a way that it doesn't bother anybody. For example, you know when you are done watching a YouTube video and it recommends other videos to you? What if one of those recommendations was a Google ad instead?
    From what I've heard, that's exactly not what they're doing.
    You know those overlay ads that go over TV shows at the bottom of the screen? That's what they're going to do.
  • edited August 2007
    You know those overlay ads that go over TV shows at the bottom of the screen? That's what they're going to do.
    So much for subtitles. :-/
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • There goes the fansubs.
  • Why would you want to watch fansubs on youtube? The quality is terrible
    Seconded. I can barely read the subs on YouTube, and only then by pausing at the most readable frame so I don't miss it.
    I can admit to watching quite a few fansub commercials and game shows (most notably those from Japan) on the googtube.
  • THe ad is going to be up for a few seconds, not the whole video, so it won't interfere that much with subs.
  • edited August 2007
    The ad is going to be up for a few seconds, not the whole video, so it won't interfere that much with subs.
    Yeah, I bet it'll come up right during that one thing at the end of that one scene at the end of Cowboy Bebop. :P
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on