This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Lunch

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
I'm seriously hungry and thinking about lunch but am tired of the usual places. Where do you normally eat lunch and what do you eat?

Comments

• Chipotle...
  • At my work, we are only allowed 30 min lunches, and most restaurants are not close by. Our cafeteria food is over priced and makes prison food look appetizing. I normally brown bag it and make easy mac with chicken sausages or eat soup.

Sometimes we make food runs to either KFC, Teriyaki, or Mexican once a week.
  • Chipotle...
    The nearest Chipotle is a three hour drive away. While I regularly partake in their tasty lunches, these are usually limited to weekends. Maybe my problem is I need to move?
    easy mac with chicken sausages
    I have not seen this on my grocery shelves though it sounds tasty. Do you get precooked chicken sausages and just add them in before microwaving? Sounds like a new cold-lunch worth trying!
  • I have not seen this on my grocery shelves though it sounds tasty. Do you get precooked chicken sausages and just add them in before microwaving? Sounds like a new cold-lunch worth trying!
    I combine chicken sausage with easy mac. I buy this brand from Costco. It's chicken sausage with gouda cheese and apple. I cut up the sausage and add it to the easy mac. I also put some spices and tabasco sauce, and voila! Instant cheap lunch!
  • I eat out almost every day.  I started listing the places I frequent, but after ten I decided it would be silly to continue...
    Whenever I can, I get street vendor falafel or lamb over rice, and there's a really good (greasy and cheap) pizza joint on Gun Hill Road. over by E210th.  Whenever I take a long lunch, I drive up to Hastings on Hudson and partake of the lovely little bistros and pizza places along their main street.
  • I hardly eat out for lunch, but when I do its usually, Jason's Deli, Whataburger, or local burger joint up the street called Tommy's.
  • I eat cold peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch with water.
  • edited August 2007
    I work 4 minutes from my house. I have lunch at home everyday. It's an awesome break from work. Ahh... the joys of rural living.

Rym, Gun Hill Road is in the Bronx. Don't you take the train? If so, do you get off at Riverdale or something? Do you have to connect to a bus? Doesn't sound like an easy commute. Or do you drive into the city? Shooting down 87 sounds pretty easy.

By the way... do many people take the Newburgh-Beacon ferry as part of their commute?
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • If there's no Chipotle...Qdoba!

I usually just drink something for lunch but today I had a steak salad in the schools cafeteria.
  • If there's no Chipotle...Qdoba!
    There are neither! [cry] I got to try Qdoba in NYC last time I was there. I'm sold.
  • I usually eat a shrimp salad from the school's cafeteria, very tasty. When I get tired of salad there is a great place to get tacos (and I mean the real tacos, not taco bell crap). If I just want something cheep and greasy I'll go to the burger king. But whenever I have the time, I go and eat home.
  • I eat at home, its a 15min drive from work and there's always food there. Plus I get 1¼ hours lunch break
  • I eat at home, its a 15min drive from work and there's always food there. Plus I get 1¼ hours lunch break
    I hate you.

I get 30 minutes for lunch.
    I hate you.

Better than no lunch break. Then again I give myself one despite the rules and nothing happened so far.
  • Chipotle Friday FTW!

The other days of the week I generally eat out as much as I always promise myself that somehow...this week will be different!
    Unfortunately my choices in downtown Minneapolis are limited:

Subway, Quiznos, Jimmy Johns, Pot Belly's, Charley's, Cosi, Panera
    Not so great pizza place
    Not so great Chinese place of which I do not know the name

That might seem like a lot of options until you realize that all but the last two are sub shops (or Panera = Sandwiches).
    There are also a fair number of sit down restaurants but they're a bit expensive for lunch and I usually go get my lunch and eat it at my desk which means I can leave after precisely 8 hours in the office. w00t! Like I tell everyone that asks...I like my job...but it's still a job.
  • Quiznos, Subway, Panera, most of the Mexican restaurants in Detroit, or any nearby Indian food.
  • Usually, I'll go to one of a couple of nearby burrito places, or get Indian, banh mi, or just some bread and such.  Of course that's during summer...
  • I usually just eat lunch at home, and I usually eat pb&j or pbb&b (peanut butter, banana, and bacon). Of course, this is all with a tall glass of milk.
  • Instead of listing the things I get to eat at lunch because my life is so wonderful, I'm going to suggest getting ahold of some tuna (in those little cans! Sundried tomato and onion tuna is one of my favourites) and a bun, or a couple slices of bread, or even just cruskits or crackers and sticking those together and eating them. Easy and satisfying!

Cheese and crackers also works but I don't recommend that - it's not very filling.

Various savoury buns that you can pick up at your local bakery before you head off to work are also good.

All those options are easy, cheap, and can be eaten in, like, fifteen minutes while you're sitting around in your break.
  • MMM. I loves me some tuna. I sometimes buy those tuna packets where you can mix it with the mayonnaise and relish, however, it's a bit pricey after a while, so I make my own tuna salad mix and bring it to work.

My favorite tuna recipe: tuna, miracle whip, pesto, dried cranberries, relish, oregano, celery, green onions, and pepper. Dammit, I'm getting hungry now.
  • Well, at luch I ate depending of what I have in my wallet, sometimes I eat a Super Dragon, sometimes I eat some curry with rice and Tai tea, and other times I just eat a simple sandwish. Sometimes if I am lazy I just bring some fruit from my home and just eat fruit at lunch.
  • edited August 2007
    One thing that Asia does better than the USA is cheap food. In Thailand, it was literally cheaper to eat from street vendors than to make the food yourself. Even in Tokyo, there are quite a bit of cheap lunch options. 7-11s actually carry a lot of good food that is freshly made that day. If only the USA would emulate convenience stores in Japan. They are so much better. The only cheap food here in the USA seems to be fast food, and we all know how crappy that is.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Well, I think in any thrid world country the food is relatively cheap compared with the USA. I mean back when I was living in Peru I was able to get a pretty decent meal with only 10 soles with is about 3 dollars. A normal meal in Peru would be a drink (coffe, soda, beer), soup, then we have the second dish wish could me anything with rice or pasta, and finally the dessert.
    Granted we also earn a lot less than a proffesional in America.
    I hate you.

Hehehe. I live less than five minutes from my office, and I can take lunches of epic Hitchhiker's Guide proportion. Today I ran home and had leftovers whilst playing the Pogeymans. Most days, however, I am simply too busy/lazy around the lunch hour and walk next door to a little hole-in-the-wall pizzeria, then chomp down a New York-style slice while I continue typing.
  • I usually just eat lunch at home, and I usually eat pb&j; or pbb&b; (peanut butter, banana, and bacon). Of course, this is all with a tall glass of milk.
    Bacon? Seriously?

For some reason I'm willing to try that.
  • Oddly enough, it's actually really good.
  • Try cream cheese and jelly toasted. Its good and good for breakfast or lunch!
  • Try cream cheese and jelly toasted. Its good and good for breakfast or lunch!
    Toasted english muffin, whipped cream cheese and apricot jellies. Yummmm.

Also, chopped up banana in a bowl of sour cream and sugar. Equal yum.
  • Lox and bagel for a bigger yum.
  • Lox? Is that a type of meat?