This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help with my computer microphone

edited August 2007 in Technology
Here is a question for those of you who are smarter than me...

My computer microphone is generating a significant amount of interference - in the form of a loud "hum." If I touch the microphone to the computer case, the hum goes away entirely. Initially I thought that the computer fan was the culprit, but now I think it must be something else. Any ideas?

The microphone is a Plantoronics. It is a gaming headset with the traditional plugs - not USB.

Comments

• edited August 2007
    If you just touch the computer with your hand, or the mic with your hand, does the humming still stop? It might be static or something to that effect, but I'm guessing that it's a vibration problem.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Do you have a CRT monitor? I remember hearing on an episode of GeekNights that CRT monitors cause a hum in dynamic mics.
  • I do have a CRT monitor, but I've ruled that out. I'm starting to wonder if something is loose in the microphone itself. I touched the microphone to my monitor, and the humming stopped. When I touched the monitor, it hit a little harder than normal. The microphone works fine since I touched it.

But that's how it's been going... in a day or two the problem will return. There must be some shielding or something that is getting loose, but returns to normal when the microphone is pressed against something.
  • Yeah, it's pretty much just a lack of real shielding. Touching the mic against something grounds it out. This is not uncommon for consumer PCs because the microphone is not a serious consideration.
  • The ground is probably loose.  Open it up and look for a poorly soldered wire. ^_~
  • Where do I open it up - in the microphone or down where it connects to the computer?
  • I have a similar problem: my crappy logitech microphone produces a horrible hum, but only when my laptop is plugged in...when it's not plugged it I have no hum, thus leading me to the conclusion that something's wrong in terms of electricity/currents/grounding with the mike....
  • Buy a Plantronics headset with a mic connected. Problem solved!
  • Buy a Plantronics headset with a mic connected. Problem solved!
    Uh... that's what I have. Maybe I should have been more specific.
  • Ah. I was under the impression that you had a pair of headphones, and a seperate mic on the desk.