This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Someone please explain today's Penny Arcade to me.

edited August 2007 in Everything Else

I understand that the new Tiger Woods games lets you take pictures of yourself and make a golfer with your real face. Is the Tiger in the last frame a play on Tiger Woods? What am I missing here?

Comments

• Nope, pretty sure it's just supposed to be a cat.
  • In Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 you can use the Xbox 360 Camera to map your face to you in game golfer. So Gabe first took a picture of his balls which mapped to his face, and then took a picture of his cat's face.
  • In Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 you can use the Xbox 360 Camera to map your face to you in game golfer. So Gabe first took a picture of his balls which mapped to his face, and then took a picture of his cat's face.
    I got everything you describe, right up to the picture of the cat's face. Why is Tycho so shocked by a cat?
  • He went an took a picture of a cat?
  • Is it sad that he was less shocked by the scrotum than the cat?
  • It's just something random that is not out of Gabe's personality, but still more unpredictable than just a scrotum picture.

...proving yet again that when you have to explain humor, it's no longer funny.
  • It's not the fact that it's a cat that makes it funny. It's the image itself in the final that is inherently hilarious. It's a drawing that is simply funny to behold.
  • Does it actually work like that, making big cat heads, or is it like Rainbow Six and if it's not perfect it fails?

Either way I got a kick out of it until this thread... Fuckers.
    Is this really a game game game? I may or may not be interested in such a thing.
  • Three games. Originated with Dofus (MMORPG). Then Wakfu (MMORPG) followed it up. Then the Wakfu Animated series.

The boardgame, Krostmaster: Arena started as a Kickstarter, iirc. You can also play it online. I don't know if you need the extra figurines to play/unlock them online, but they don't come cheap.

I love the art and was tempted to buy the board game at PAX Prime just based on the awesome figurines, but it appeared to look like a poop game. However, reading a few things here and there on BGG may say otherwise.

You can find more on the Ankama site.
  • I remember the Wakfu animated series being good. At least, Nine liked it.
  • I enjoyed it also.
  • I assume the gender swap in today's comic is a response to Ubisoft and their misguided "explanation" about the lack of playable female characters in Assassins's Creed: Unity.
  • I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that. Remember the strip where Tycho was drawn as a radish because he wouldn't buy a Dreamcast?
  • edited June 2014
    They posted when the comic went up that it was a tribute to this tumblr.

They also acknowledged on their Facebook feed that it is a jab at Ubisoft.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I thought it was neat in a Cake-the-cat and Fiona-the-human way.
  • I was pretty stoked I must say. It's pretty awesome.

Fiona and Cake are also that, so... yeah.