This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Built a new AMD machine tonight.

edited August 2007 in Everything Else
And it posted on the first try. I haven't lost my touch.

Comments

• Bravo. What OS's are you booting on your new rig?
  • That's the $64 question. I built a Linux box the other night, so I have that to play with. I think the purpose of this box is to be back up to the flagship box. If that's the case, it's going to have to be XP. So now I'm looking for a cheap copy of XP. I've found them for $50 in the past.
  • I have been hearing lately that some AMDs now are faster than some Intels. Did they catch up? Are they still way cheaper? Investigation is needed.
  • They're faster if you need to have 16 cores and 32 gigs of RAM working together, but I'm pretty sure Intel still has them beat in consumer boxes.
  • I tried to load Win2k, but I forgot my disk doesn't have support for large hard drives. So I either have to go with Ubuntu or buy XP or (gasp) Vista. I only bought a gig of RAM so Vista is pretty much right out. I'm having a blast with Ubuntu on my other machine. Maybe...
  • I have been hearing lately that some AMDs now are faster than some Intels. Did they catch up? Are they still way cheaper? Investigation is needed.
    AMD are catching up a little, but in the next 3 or 4 months the X4 chips come out. They have been tested against the current crop of Intel Quad Cores and found to be 20% - 40% faster for identical speeds (depending on the application testing done)
    The new cores have also been tested against the latest Intel V8, not sure whats so great about the V8 but as far as results go AMD wins at gaming output, but Intel wins at long term Multitasking.
    So in the next few months AMD will steal the lead from Intel, be crowned champion by fanboys in a years time, then Intel will release something new and come back on top. Then the dance starts all over again :)

Oh and yes, they still give more bang per buck