This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What games would you like to see Geeknights review?

edited September 2007 in Board Games
Recommend some games for Rym and Scott pick up and review.

I'll get the ball rolling with a handful of fairly popular board games that they've yet to cover:
Tannhäuser
Starcraft
Arkham Horror

Comments

• Wait . . . there's a Starcraft board game?
  • Board Games: Basic Board games - chess, mancala, checkers, othello, chinese checkers etc
    Battleship and other games of the sort (monopoly, because I know they hate it)

Video Games
    BIOSHOCK (Just buy it, fools)

• Board games if they haven't already:

Betrayal at the House on the Hill
    Steve Jackson games ie Ninja Burger, Greed Quest, Chez series, Munchkin series.
    Tsuro

More than likely you can do an episode going over most of these games all together. There are so many other games that I played with my friends, but I forget their names. >.<
  • It's real annoying to search for the Tannhäuser board game on german google. ;)
  • It'd be interesting to see your views on games that are foregone awesome such as some of the Legend of Zelda games; especially as I have never had a chance to play the very first ones. [Searched and no episode found.]
  • Is Rym any good at Call of Duty? If not, don't review (See Counterstrike mod discussion)Insurgency discussionIs Rym any good at Call of Duty? If not, don't review (See Counterstrike mod discussion)

How about a Days of Wonder review on all their board games. I think there's only about 10.

I think it is a recent release.
    I think it is a recent release.
    I googled it and it looks fairly awesome. If I see it I'll be picking it up I think.
  • Board Games : Go

Video Games: the Ultima series

Unless, of course, either of these have been done already. I haven't gone through the archives to check.
  • I second Muchkin. I love that game so much.
  • There's a thread for this. A sticky, no less.
  • I think GeekNights should review:
    Final Fantasy Tactics and/or Tactics Advance
    Fire Emblem (any of them)
  • Any Winning Eleven  (except the one for the DS, they are still working on it).
    Any Final Fantasy
    And Descent
  • Boardgames:
    Memoir '44
    Descent: Journeys in the Dark
    Shogun
    Pillars of the Earth

Video Games:
    Ultima (I'd like to install an old version - which one should it be?)
  • Shogun
    Which one? ^_~
    Ultima (I'd like to install an old version - which one should it be?)
    Ultima Avatar.  It's also available for the NES.  It's the most playable and least painful.
  • The original Metal Gear - that shit is hard.
    Did either of you/ are you getting Bioshock?
  • Did either of you/ are you getting Bioshock?
    I bought it before I even finished the demo.  I will be playing it this weekend while Scott plays Metroid, and then we'll switch. ^_^
  • Metal Knights.
  • Ultima Avatar. It's also available for the NES. It's the most playable and least painful.
    Ultima Avatar for the NES is Ultima IV. Rym's correct that it's the least painful Ultima console port. However, on the PC, I'd recommend getting Ultima IV, V, and VI. Of the three Ultima trilogies, that series is the best. If you have a copy of Dungeon Siege, you can also get Ultima V: Lazarus, which is an awesome remake of Ultima V.
  • I would love to see a 3 way comparison

Team fortress Vs Team Fortress 2 Vs Fortress Forever

That's once they are all released mind you.
  • Did either of you/ are you getting Bioshock?
    I bought it before I even finished the demo.  I will be playing it this weekend while Scott plays Metroid, and then we'll switch. ^_^

You're getting the better deal - I don't like Metroid, but forget that - Bioshock is the fucking business.
  • edited September 2007
    Half-Life 2
    Doom
    Any Sierra "Point N Click" game
    Kinda Related: "Angry Video Game Nerd" show review (kinda like how they reviewed Track/Shun)
    Post edited by DJ_Katsuhiko_Jinnai on
  • I would like to hear a review of of a series of video games where the basis of the review is not how graphics have improved but wether or not the game play has improved.

For example you can compare the original gold box SSI AD&D titles with the current crop of D&D video games.

You should also review that new boardgame Quartile...
  • I never played that because it took up an entire PS1 memory card... I should go get that shit.
  • edited September 2007
    I say, when the Smash Bros. Brawl comes out, do a Smash Bros. Review special! Compare them all to each other.

Sorry, I think I missed the point of this topic...
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • The worst game ever (in their opinion).

Also, Super Mario Brothers 3.
  • The original Resident Evil on the PS1.
  • I just finished listening to your BattleLore review (I've got some catching up to do). I enjoyed your discussion of wargames, and I think there's a few you'd enjoy given your reaction to BattleLore.

Hammer of the Scotts - a good representative of the block style wargame. It's got a fairly good Euro feel to it for a wargame.

Paths of Glory - a good representative of card driven wargames. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but it sounds like Rym likes games that don't have obvious moves, where you need to do more than your resources allow. Lots of tension and excitement! Since you reviewed Twilight Struggle already (I'll listen to that episode soon), you can probably pass on this.

Diplomacy - requires 7 players for a proper game. There's no luck in this game. It's pure negotiation skills. It requires thick skin, but I gather you guys enjoy each other enough to recover from back-stabs.
  • edited December 2007
    I don't play much board games (aside from a few games of Carcassonne) but when it comes to video games, I'd like to see:
    Etrian Odyessy - an awesome old-school dungeon crawler in the vein of WIzardry and A Bard's Tale. Hard as hell and you draw your own maps. It's like a blast from the past.
    Melty Blood Act Cadenza (Version B) - one of the best fighting games out there and a hit in the Japanese arcades, is available for the PC, staying true to its doujin game roots. It's easy to pick up, with a very forgiving combo and move system but difficult to master.
    Tsukihime (Full english patch available online) - A classic. The visual novel that broke all the records when it was released and transformed Type-Moon from a doujin circle consisting of two guys to a legitimate gaming company. Great story, riveting characters, definitely something you need to play.
    Post edited by Reimu on