This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• Cremlian said:

Does fantasy Football really include D6 rolling though?

The real world players are the dice.
  • Well I do have Battle Ball which is "the future of football."
  • Playoff time! Rooting for Chiefs > Colts and I have no idea who to choose between the Saints and Eagles.

As for tomorrow, I could care less about the Bengals/Chargers game, but I will root for Greenbay only because I don't like the 49ers.

Overall, I'd rather seen Seattle host GB due to SF being so similar to the Seahawks and to also give Rodgers another taste of the Seattle defense.
  • Eagles lose. Allies rig height the world.
  • edited January 2014
    Your spell check seems to be acting up there, much like most of the KC defense last night.

KC/Colts was hard to watch at the end: Alex Smith and their line was very good, but they lost all of their good rushers by just after halftime and just couldn't move the football any more.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I bet it was too fast typing on zee iPhone/iPad.

Well looks like the Saints are coming back to Seattle. I'm feeling good. It won't be a blowout like MNF, but I feel the Seahawks will come out on top.

The KC/Colts game was freaking insane. I seriously feel for Andy Reid and the Chiefs and any fans. Losing one of the best running backs in the league in first quarter then losing that huge lead, along with all those turnovers/interceptions on Luck/Colts.
  • I was trying to type "All is right with the world."
  • Interesting that the PAX survey asked about sports teams.
  • PAX survey?
  • Not every attendee gets one.

They send surveys out to samples of the attendance about demographics and interests every year.
  • Rym said:

Interesting that the PAX survey asked about sports teams.

geez Rym, haven't you been paying attention to the internet at all? Obviously only bros go to PAX now so we have to shift the content over to sports.

• Matt said:

Rym said:

Interesting that the PAX survey asked about sports teams.

geez Rym, haven't you been paying attention to the internet at all? Obviously only bros go to PAX now so we have to shift the content over to sports.

At MAGFest I learned a solution to filter out bros. Set up a bunch of Neo Geo machines in a room playing Windjammers. All the bros will gather round and have a huge party playing them. Lock the doors and take all their badges. Then switch all the machines to Magical Drop III.
  • Weekend predictions:

Seahawks vs. Saints: 27-17 Seahawks

It will not be like Monday Night Football, but Seahawks defense will just be on fire as they have been. Only main concern is K.J. Wright is out and he held Jimmy Graham down a bit, but they should be fine with Malcolm Smith.

I call two picks off Brady. One by Sherman and the other by one of the front 7.

Percy Harvin is finally coming back. There is a lot of excitement about that, but I fear the hype. I just hope with his return it messes with Rob Ryan and his defensive plans. It just gives one more thing he has to be worried about.

Colts vs. Patriots: 30-27 Patriots

This will be a fun one to watch. It will be a shootout between Brady and Luck. While Patriots are down a lot of good receivers, I think Brady will do Brady things. Luck will be impressive, but I just feel Patriots will come out, even though I would rather see Colts go to AFC Championship.

Panthers vs. 49ers: 13-10 Panthers

This is the closest game all weekend. Two great defenses. While Steve Smith is a bit battered, Panthers front 7 will shut down Kaepernick.

49ers have a very good chance of winning and I can definitely see them in the NFC Championship. I wouldn't mind a Seahawks/49ers NFC Championship. The rivalry up here is insane. I think for my sanity, I would rather it be Panthers/Seahawks.

Chargers vs. Broncos: 38-24 Broncos

I don't think Peyton Manning or the Broncos are going to let the Chargers make a repeat of what happened a few weeks ago. Broncos defense is meh, but Peyton Manning will pull it out for the team.

Also, I really don't want to see a Philip Rivers bolo tie interview.
  • A prediction is supposed to be what will happen, not what you want to happen.
  • I stated I wanted the Colts to win, but I predict Patriots to win.
  • You mean 2 picks off of Brees right?
  • These Patriots look like the good Giants teams that destroyed them.
  • If there's a Seahawks Patriots Superb Owl, almost everyone in the stadium will wear the number 12.
  • Lulz. Probably not. Russell Wilson #3 Jerseys are the most popular. I want one in grey.

As for the game, offense needs to do better with the pass. And came too close at the end. Can't play like in the championships. A lot of good things, several mistakes, but they could do better.
  • Here we go. This week will be nothing but shit talking leading up to a Sunday where I hope I don't have an aneurism.
  • Two NFC teams started an arms race at the beginning of the season, signing all the good players available. Those two teams remain.

Giants, do the same thing! Spend teh moneys!
  • Salary cap... Giants, sure, spend teh moneys, but spend them wisely. Otherwise you'll end up like the Cowboys or, worse, the Redskins.
  • Or put a lot of money into a guy like Harvin, who is plagued with injuries. It was unfortunate he got taken out so early in the game due to concussions.

I have the whole "Saints Bounty" in the back of me head when it came to that part of the game.
  • I watched the first half of the Chargers Broncos game last night. Does Peyton Manning have some kind of telepathic power to make the front line defenders step into the neutral zone? It was very impressive/funny.
  • I just realized last night that without cable, I can't watch the Super Bowl. :-(

This is my annual excuse to eat fatty snacks and watch moderately entertaining commercials in between long boring stretches of some football. Now what will I do?
  • Yes. He does. He and Brady have some sort of wizard football powers that can read the defense and make play calls to mess them up.
  • muppet said:

I just realized last night that without cable, I can't watch the Super Bowl. :-(

This is my annual excuse to eat fatty snacks and watch moderately entertaining commercials in between long boring stretches of some football. Now what will I do?

Sports Bar, search the area they normally have an "All you can eat" deal during Superb Owl that is a nice time.
  • What, you mean hang around sports fans? Ick. ;-)
  • You don't know people throwing Superb Owl parties? We're throwing one. I made a disclaimer to people that if the Seahawks go, they may be exposed to yelling, screaming, cheering, and overall a very loud Ro.
  • I watched the first half of the Chargers Broncos game last night. Does Peyton Manning have some kind of telepathic power to make the front line defenders step into the neutral zone? It was very impressive/funny.

This is a very interesting tactic he uses because it is relevant to many games, (like Netrunner), and it bears further discussion.

A hard count is the most basic thing in football, used even in backyard football. The only skill required is the quarterback has to yell in such a way as to trick the defense offsides. Also, the offense and the QB have to have enough practice and be mentally in synch not to have a false start.

Being such a basic tactic, you would think that professional players would not ever be fooled by it. Especially players in a divisional championship game should not be fooled, right?

Here's the problem. If you are very disciplined and do not go offsides, you will more than likely be a second or a fraction of a second slow on the rush. In the NFL that makes all the difference in the world. A defensive lineman being that slow out of the gate is the difference between a sack and a huge passing play.

So what do you do about it? Well, a few years ago the Eagles did this.

Notice the circled defensive ends? They have their heads down and are looking directly at the football. They ignore all the sounds they hear. As soon as they see the ball physically move, they take off. Not bad, but not perfect either. Notice how you don't see too many teams doing this anymore. The major weakness is that it totally gives away that those players are going to rush, and not fall back into coverage. I guess you could fall back into coverage, but from that stance you will be very slow and the receiver will beat you easily.

So why does Peyton Manning do this and get away with it? Because his weakness is being rushed. The way to beat his offenses is to blitz and sack him multiple times per game. He chose an offense that is strong, but has a weakness. Then he employs another tactic to mitigate that weakness.

The defense knows this, so they have to take off as soon as possible after the snap. They can't just play it super safe or they will get beat. If they can take off at just the right time without screwing up, that's their ticket to victory. That weakness is there for them to exploit. But if they fuck up, by running to early or too late, it will cost them a penalty or a complete pass. To win, all of your players must be at the top of their game at all times. He sets the bar for you to jump over as high as he possibly can.

Think about this in terms of an RTS. There are lots of units, and you can't build them all. There are some you hardly ever see used. Maybe in one game there are anti-air turrets that nobody ever builds. They just build units that aren't vulnerable from the air in the first place. Well, what if instead of doing what everyone does you build some ground unit that is really strong, but vulnerable from the air. Then you build the anti-air turrets to accompany it. Seems basic and obvious, right? But it's obvious because it works!

In Netrunner there are cards like Foxfire. Nobody uses this card.

Well, I've heard of people using it, but I've never played in a game where this card has been used. Why is that? Why make this card? Well, there are a lot of Virtual and Link cards out there, but not every deck uses them. And even the decks that use them can usually afford to lose them. So why in the world would you dedicate a precious space in your deck to this card? In a bunch of games you will draw it, and it will be useless!

Well, what if you made a deck that was really really strong, but had lots and lots of trace. It would kick ass, but be very weak against players with lots of Link cards. That is the deck where you put in Foxfire.