This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• There are male ones too, but that's mainly the point of being down there to see what they are saying after halftime and also about potential injuries and the status of the player.
  • But does it have to be an opinion-free zone while the male dominated sections are opinion-only zones?
  • No, it doesn't. It seems to be the format that they all follow.
  • "Let's go down to Rachel on the sidelines, to hear about the injury."

"They say it is a thigh injury, and he won't be back in the game."

"Thanks Rachel."

What about that couldn't have been covered by a note from the producer or a comment in the earpiece?

It reminds of Sigourney Weaver's character's job in Galaxy Quest. Literally just passing information from a computer to the captain in a redundant fashion.

• The sideline reporter job is the most sexist in the NFL. It's the token female appearance on the TV broadcasts, which seems like a step in the right direction. But I've noticed whoever it is, she always reports what male players and coaches have said about an event. She never has an opinion of her own. Meanwhile, most of the male members of the broadcast (except the direct commentary team who report on the immediate action) do nothing except give their opinion on any and all subjects.

Has anyone else noticed this? Probably. If not, from now on, you will too.

Yes, it is extremely noticeable. They want to have women to appear non-sexist, but won't put them in the top jobs.

• This is how close GaTech came to losing the game. 53-yard field goal which tied the game for OT.
  • Patriots, I am disappoint. Seems that the NFC Title will go through Lambeau, but there is a tiny chance it may not. I'm looking at you, Lions.
  • Rochelle said:

Patriots, I am disappoint. Seems that the NFC Title will go through Lambeau, but there is a tiny chance it may not. I'm looking at you, Lions.

Stop looking. It's not going to happen.

Giants are the worst they have been since '03. If they don't win another game this year, it will be the worst since '83. I look forward to our Super Bowl victory in 2018.
  • Raiders win followed by a shutout. Balance has been restored to the force.
  • I was so ready to give up on football for the season, given how damn close the Dolphins have come to being on top of the playoffs. 6-5, with 3 of their losses coming at the hands of great teams and by 4 points or less. They fell behind a huge pack of teams all tied for the wildcard. In the meantime, they've had quite a few injuries. It'd be nice if they had 9 wins right now and could heal up and coast into the playoffs.

This week, that entire pack of teams lost, though, meaning the Dolphins could be right back in a wildcard seat if they just beat the lowly Jets tonight on Monday night football. The nice thing about this massive 6-team tie is that the Dolphins have the best conference record and toughest strength of schedule. They also play the Jets *twice* in the last five weeks, and the Vikings. If they can win the three games versus those losers, they only need to edge out the Ravens or Patriots to get to 10 wins (they did already beat the Pats once, it could theoretically happen again).

Either way, I was gonna give up, but I'll watch tonight, and keep following until they lose 2 more games. I don't see a 9-7 team making it into the AFC playoffs this year.

• If only your Dolphins were in the NFC South instead of AFC South, they would be in for sure.
  • There's been a joke going around that this year will be a reverse of 2010 playoffs when the NFC West is the equivalent to this years NFC South with a losing record going into the playoffs.

Seattle hosted the Saints, the defending SB champs, in the NFC Wild Card Round where Beast Quake was created:

So now it is very possible that the Saints will take the NFC South with the losing record and the Seahawks will go to NOLA for the Wild Card Round to have Mark Ingram and company get their revenge.

I don't even know how I will be if this were to ever happen.
  • edited December 2014
    I remember watching that Beast Quake game. The version of the replay with Super Mario Bros sound effects still goes down as best replay ever.

Post edited by Matt on
  • Ok, more real talk. Let's sing the greatest fight song in the world.
  • Andrew said:

Ok, more real talk. Let's sing the greatest fight song in the world.

Yes, let's.

Don't even talk to me about the Ohio State game, though.
  • Yes, let's.

• Come back to me when your song is sung between the President of the United States and the Leader of the Soviet Union.
  • Andrew said:

Ok, more real talk. Let's sing the greatest fight song in the world.

Yes, let's.

• edited December 2014
    Andrew said:

Come back to me when your song is sung between the President of the United States and the Leader of the Soviet Union.

OK.
    From the Wikipedia article on "The Victors ":
    UM alumnus Gerald R. Ford, the 38th President of the United States, often had the Naval band play the fight song prior to state events instead of "Hail to the Chief".[11] He also selected the song to be played during his December 2006 funeral procession at the U.S. Capitol.
    Also from that article:
    John Philip Sousa is said to have called The Victors, "the greatest college fight song ever written"
    So there's also that.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Wait a minute! There's something fishy going on here.
    Wiki said:

"On, Wisconsin!" was regarded by John Philip Sousa as "the finest of college marching songs".

The line is cited, but it's from Wisconsin propaganda, so I'm not sure I buy it.

At least we know it was in Robin Hood.
  • I think we can just assume Sousa's opinion is suspect.
  • I am the best (at fake sports):
  • Andrew said:

I think we can just assume Sousa's opinion is suspect.

Yeah, does he even march bro?
  • I was the one to beat the undefeated member of our fake sports. Not that it mattered in any way but it was a victory all around.

It wasn't even like he had the best players or anything, he was just incredibly lucky since his PF is trash. This week though I fucking decimated him with my subpar team.
  • FRCF FF league? Count me in next year.
  • You know what sucks?

The Badgers :(

Yellow Jackets couldn't beat Jameis either. Darn.
  • My girl is a Seminole. I have to put up with her shit! She is also a secondary fan to Alabama. I HATE Nick Saban for how royally he fucked the Dolphins. Her teams can suck it.
  • I would be up for some fantasy football next year. I've never played before, but I think it would be pretty fun.
  • Aren't college games not meant to be blowouts like that? Normally if it's 30something to zero the winning team backs off a bit. Maybe playoffs this year make the games more important to dominate?