This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• Fantasy football sadly isn't really that fun. You will do better than 99% of people if you.

1. Ignore any football aspects
    2. Treat projected player scores as points
    3. Bid well in the draft (again, ignoring football and solely counting projected points as victory points)
    4. Every week, add players from the waivers/available pool to your team if they have higher projected scores than your current players, and drop byes with active players

By ignoring football, treating projections like victory points, and using the most basic strategy of "always get the most projected points), you'll win (or usually win) almost any office/friend league.

Doing better than that means either complete luck, inside knowledge of player injuries that doesn't make the news, or being better at projecting points than ESPN (not likely).
  • Rym said:

Fantasy football sadly isn't really that fun. You will do better than 99% of people if you.

3. Bid well in the draft (again, ignoring football and solely counting projected points as victory points)
    4. Every week, add players from the waivers/available pool to your team if they have higher projected scores than your current players, and drop byes with active players

By ignoring football, treating projections like victory points, and using the most basic strategy of "always get the most projected points), you'll win (or usually win) almost any office/friend league.

Doing better than that means either complete luck, inside knowledge of player injuries that doesn't make the news, or being better at projecting points than ESPN (not likely).

What if all players in the league do the same thing? You might say it comes down to the draft. But what if all have optimal drafting strategies? Then it comes down to first pick in the draft. But even with first pick you can't know the future. Some players will surprisingly do better this year, and some surprisingly fall off the wagon. It comes down to luck.

And it's important that in the end it comes down to luck, not skill. Why? Because Fantasy is being leveraged as a gateway to bring legalized sports betting all across the US the same way it is in Europe, Australia, and elsewhere. They are using it to teach Americans how to bet on sports. All the people I know who play fantasy seriously, and not just like office pool whatever, play it for money. It's not life changing money, but there are small entry fees and significant cash prizes.
  • Dromaro said:

My girl is a Seminole. I have to put up with her shit! She is also a secondary fan to Alabama.

So... you're dating the devil?

Aren't college games not meant to be blowouts like that? Normally if it's 30something to zero the winning team backs off a bit. Maybe playoffs this year make the games more important to dominate?

Yes, this was the last week, so your last chance to impress the selection committee. Ohio State was in 5th place going into last night, so they tried to really run up the score.
  • Poo on NFL mobile blocking Chromecast
  • I just caught the last quarter of the Steelers Bengals game. It's now very, very quiet in that stadium.
  • Well, it seems Ohio State made their statement pretty well!
  • edited December 2014
    Rym said:

Fantasy football sadly isn't really that fun. You will do better than 99% of people if you.

More or less true. Most of it is pretty random but I am curious how much ESPN takes into account certain team strategies. For instance Steven Hauschka, kicker for the Seahawks, wasn't predicted to take many points in their game against 49ers a couple weeks ago. However since they're both heavily defensive teams I was hoping he'd come into play a lot and bring home some big points. That's exactly what happened with four field goals.

Either way, I think FF is a neat little distraction that gives me bragging rights on occasion :P

Aren't college games not meant to be blowouts like that? Normally if it's 30something to zero the winning team backs off a bit. Maybe playoffs this year make the games more important to dominate?

Usually, but not always.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • MATATAT said:

More or less true. Most of it is pretty random but I am curious how much ESPN takes into account certain team strategies. For instance Steven Hauschka, kicker for the Seahawks, wasn't predicted to take many points in their game against 49ers a couple weeks ago. However since they're both heavily defensive teams I was hoping he'd come into play a lot and bring home some big points. That's exactly what happened with four field goals.

This is exactly correct. The true optimal strategy is to do what Rym says, but also have highly advanced football knowledge that will allow you to more accurately predict the true expected points from a given player in cases where the system is wrong. Rym's co-workers, and the vast majority of human beings do not have this knowledge. Even those that do, might take it too far and defy the first principles of the overall plan.
  • Two coaches leave us in three years.

Wait, what was that?

Wisconsin’s academic policies for getting players in had to play huge part in Andersen’s decision. Had been extremely frustrated.

— Adam Rittenberg (@ESPNRittenberg) December 10, 2014
    Oh, fuck him too then.
  • Starfox said:

You know what sucks?

The Badgers :(

Yellow Jackets couldn't beat Jameis either. Darn.

There were crazy parties on campus after this game
  • History repeats itself.

• Won me the fantasy season, that run right there.
  • A fun way to (almost) finish a college bowl game...

• NFC no. 1 spot on the line. Football kitty's omen is a good sign.
  • As long as any team other than the Cowpokes wins the big one, it's all good in 2014.
  • I think it's been a pretty fun season. I like how Seahawks didn't come out dominating, but slowly played their way back to the top. I mean the top in my estimations. I thought the Packers would be the team to beat in the NFC about half way in, but not any more. And the Cardinals looked good, but not on their third (or maybe fourth?) quarterback. The Seahawks don't have to worry today, as I'm not convinced the Cardinals can even beat the 49's in the current condition. Only the Patriots look even close to the top NFC level on the AFC side.

That said, this evening I'm probably going to catch the second half of Chargers vs Chiefs, and then the first half of Falcons vs Panthers. I always like watching final-chance into-the-playoffs matches, as it feels like an extra round of playoff for free.
  • Jim Harbaugh is going to Michigan. I will hope against hope that this means that the Wolverines will start to be good again and not just that Michigan is spending a lot of money only to be unable to recruit good players anyways.
  • Redzone is a bit crazy today. 10 matches at once.
  • #1 in NFC! Woohoo!

I feel it will be Cowboys vs. Seahawks for the championships. It's crazy that they are undefeated on the road.

Also, I love Earl Thomas. Watching him play is a special treat. He's on a whole other level when it comes to free safety.

http://gfycat.com/GrippingSafeAgouti
  • I switched between matches, and from what I saw, the Packers still look good as second place behind Seahawks in the NFC.

But holy shit that Seattle defense is crazy.

Earlier yesterday evening I saw an amazing touchdown (by the Chargers, I think) where the player was knocked out of bounds but managed, while in the air and almost completely out of bounds, to put his hand into the end zone. Crazy stuff. The defense did nothing wrong, but it turned out not good enough. Then the Seahawks show that doing nothing wrong isn't good enough, with that amazing diving swipe at the ball about three inches from the Rams end zone. That's probably the most perfect and precise play from a defense of the year.
  • I know Aaron Rodgers is uber, but I want JJ Watt to get MVP. We rarely get defensive players as MVP. I know there is Defensive Player of the Year, but MVP is there also. MVP should just be renamed QB/RB of the Year. Those two positions are the ones that mainly get awarded.

Can't wait to rewatch the game tonight on Game Rewind. Well, mainly the 2nd half.
  • 2015 opponents are set.

Looks like AFC North & NFC North are on schedule for the Hawks.

It's also Black Monday. Coaches getting fired today.
  • Rochelle said:

Seahawks

AGAIN

Alright, they're getting a little carried away with this, aren't they?
  • My girls teams are 'Bama and FSU. Her sorrow has trumped even my inner troll and I just feel bad for her.
  • Rochelle said:

2015 opponents are set.

Looks like AFC North & NFC North are on schedule for the Hawks.

AFC North is the best matchup. There will be three out of four fun and tough match ups.

It would be fun to see regular season matchup between Seahawks and Patriots, but who would come along with the Patriots? Jets? Wow, Jets vs Seahawks would be a real nail biter!

• Dude already became a Mark Sanchez before getting in the NFL, if anyone even drafts him. So unfortunate, but great lols.
  • New England is on the movie, and the G-Men are not there to stand in their way.